Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Oldham pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 55809 times)
Nijholts Nuts

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 09:07:16 »

The only inadequacy in replacement we have is striker. Someone can come in and 'do a job' within the rest of the team, we may have to change it up a bit style of play / formation but the question is, was that going to happen anyway with the reintroduction of Isgrove and Anderson?

I only dream of Claire Sweeney
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 10:07:35 »

Quote from: mastapeaka
How do we not know who the injured player is? Surely someone from the adver or a supporter has been to training and said player has been conspicuous by their absence?
presumably asked not to report it?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #62 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 10:20:48 »

I am going to hazard a guess and say its Doughty or Fryers.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 10:30:38 »

Don't think so,  was still closed last home game,   you'd have thought that they would have got it open ASAP,  surely match days are the 'good earner' days.

Oh oh....expert on Fast Food Restaurants and subsequent margins now?!

Is there anything you don't know?

Clems Army!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #64 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 11:36:49 »

Some pre match comments about us and Wellens, some complimentary some seemingly wide of the mark, like the comment about us being fortunate at Grimsby last week, that could not be further from the truth.
So playing top of the league on Saturday, who have won their last 6 league games on the bounce, are the highest scorers in the division, have our ex favourite ginger one on fire who has netted 17 times in 16 games this season, and have our berated ex manager in charge who has the hump with Al.... What could possibly go wrong!!  

Should be several nil, but wouldn’t put it past us to somehow come away with a smash & grab 1-0.

We'll either lose by a little or lose by a lot here, I'm afraid.  

If we keep them (Doyle) down to three, I'll class it as a result.

Swindon are a division 2 not a Premieship team, yet we seem to be treating them as unbeatable.
We have seen Doyle score goals here, but let's not forget he was anonymous in many games.
Be just like Latics to sneak a 1 nil win.

Swindon are a 2nd division team you are spot on. They also happen to be a darn sight better football side than us as well.  

Generally, I have been optimistic, even when we've struggled. But I've always looked to see if I can spot something positive on the horizon.
I've never in my life felt like deserting the club I've loved for so long, but since AL and ML took over, I just don't recognise it any more.
We've got a team of misfits that the Brothers Numbnuts think are world beaters. Not from what I've seen, they're not.
I'll go to Swindon with hope of a result more than expectation and I guess it would be just like us to sneak a scrappy 1-0 win, but I just don't see it happening.  

When we won 1-0 at Newport, we caught them in a bad patch of form - they've just lost their last 4 in succession, including against us. Contrast that to Swindon, who are in a superb run of form and I just can't see us getting anything

As an aside, it really does make you wonder what went on regarding Wellens. He had us playing excellent football initially - and then it just nosedived, leading to relegation. Presently, he looks like an accomplished manager. We'll probably never know the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Whilst Swindon are top and are registering a few good wins with Doyle apparently in great form again under Wellens, Latics have throughout history always managed to throw in the odd really unexpected cracking result.  I can't see us going toe-to-toe with Swindon under Maamria or with the players at our disposal - think we will try and sit in and frustrate them and try and pick them off via Smith (not much else in the team looks dangerous going forwards).

I think they have recently had trouble despatching teams at home, their good wins tend to be away so I am not totally writing this one off. Equally I have seen nothing yet in this Division, every team is pretty much of a muchness, although I have to say I think Latics league position is probably a fair reflection of our ability.

Wellens seems to struggle to find a Plan B if things are not going well on the pitch hence he is in league 2.

He's in league 2 because he was truly shafted by the ownership when he was here and is rebuilding a fledgling managerial career and doing superbly. Was a huge mistake letting him go.

I say apparently because I have not seen Eoin play for them Danny, from newspaper reports they were a bit fortunate on Saturday at Grimsby but they ran out 3-0 winners so can't argue with that.

FWIW I would have kept Richie Wellens on but I think there is an issue about his plan B - he couldn't manage to get a squad of decent players (albeit one with no harmony) up to winning at least 1 of last 10 fixtures and so took us down to basement division for first time since 1971.

Wellens will try and take the game to us and alot will depend on how we can counter attack with Wilson and Smityh we do have abit of pace on the counter.

I saw them earlier in the season at Exeter and they were the best team I've seen in the league this season.  They dominated the first half and should've been well clear, 2nd half was even and good quality.  Doyle scored a typical Doyle goal late on and obviously he'll be a threat on Saturday, but he's scoring loads because he's got a lot of help around him.  Yates up front has scored steadily in the last 2 seasons at this level, Woolery, Isgrove and Anderson are direct wingers who have pace and Doughty's creative in the centre of the park.  They take a few risks playing it out from the back but they've got players who can do it well.

Dino says all Swindon's goals have been scored from inside the box, so he's going to play a high line to try and keep them out. Most clubs will have tried that already, but Swindon have succeeded in getting around them. The longer the game goes on the more pressure they will put on, and our high line will drop deeper and deeper.    

I don't pay as much attention to other teams as many but I'm sure I even saw Doyle score one for them from outside the box on a highlights programme.

Wellens is no god, where would he be in the league without doyle!? People have short memories, shez signed doyle and Byrne and Bryan . The up lift in form was shez team and take away doyle from the Swindon team, u have a very different lay on land. Wellens is a Chancer,  who couldn't get one win from ten. Hes playing attractive attacking football, yep. But were 5 points clear of relegation with a team of absolute shite, anyone with a bit of cash could walk this league.

Fancy us for all three here. Not a happy clapper by any stretch but sitting in and showing no ambition suits us. 0-2 latics.

Wellens, although doing well, Really fell into a barrel of roses after leaving here, swindon have always been a decent set up and had he gone to a lesser club, then, I still think the same problems that dogged him here would be laid bare once more. Let's see if he ever steps up from this temporary lofty position

Always been a decent club? One of the select few that have managed to find their way from the Premier League to here.  

And from their manager...

"They're the best team in the league right now. I think that if you look at the players they have, Mathieu Baudry has won promotion from this level twice in the last three years with Doncaster Rovers and Franchise and they've got Michael Doughty in the middle of the park with a terrific left foot, terrific box-to-box player.

"Also, they've Anthony Grant and he has won many promotions with different clubs and he's been around the block and their front three Kaiyne Woolery, Eoin Doyle and Jerry Yates they all can score and create goals and they're a real force going forward and they're a very good team."

I am pretty sure Grant has never featured in a promotion winning side in his career, I could be wrong though.

Nijholts Nuts

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 11:36:55 »

I am going to hazard a guess and say its Doughty or Fryers.
I still haven't given up hope of some classic Wellens injury fake news shithousery.

I only dream of Claire Sweeney
Peter Venkman

« Reply #66 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 11:38:16 »

I still haven't given up hope of some classic Wellens injury fake news shithousery.
Yes me too, he does have a track record for that, fingers crossed.

Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 11:48:27 »

I’m more reassured that their manager appears to think Woolery scores goals. All his shots look like he’s kicking beach balls. Go ahead and double up on him Latics.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Peter Venkman

« Reply #68 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 11:53:15 »

I’m more reassured that their manager appears to think Woolery scores goals. All his shots look like he’s kicking beach balls. Go ahead and double up on him Latics.
I think Woolery has improved on last season but he still is often indecisive when in good crossing or shooting positions, his heading and crossing have improved a lot but I feel he will be scrificed when Isgrove is back to full fitness for sure.

mastapeaka

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 12:26:42 »

Is the chippy back open yet? I’ve missed my football special.

Any further intel on this yet?
Sir Cliff Pipehard

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 12:58:39 »

Just watched football focus where they interviewed two Peterborough strikers who have scored 13 goals each,saying they are the "most prolific strike partnership in the top 4 tiers of English football"
Dan Walker then said only Leicester come close.
Am i missing something here???
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 13:06:48 »

Just watched football focus where they interviewed two Peterborough strikers who have scored 13 goals each,saying they are the "most prolific strike partnership in the top 4 tiers of English football"

BBC.... you don't expect impartiality here. We're still paying the price for Jimmy Hill, Des Lynam and Hansen getting "stoned" v Villa
Peter Venkman

« Reply #72 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 13:07:16 »

Eisa and Toney have 29 goals between them in all games, exactly the same ad Doyle and Yates have, so yes the BBC are shit as normal.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 13:08:56 »

28 for Doyle/Yates, surely.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 13:09:43 »

28 for Doyle/Yates, surely.

Yates has a cup goal.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 23   Go Up