Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Oldham pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 54775 times)
normy

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Sunday, December 15, 2019, 09:02:05 »

Highlights if not seen yet

https://www.skysports.com/football/swindon-vs-oldham/410702

ust be the oldest
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Sunday, December 15, 2019, 09:04:43 »

Saw Wellens, Hunt and Mildy out in Bath last night. If they thought they could have a low profile drink there it was a bad choice as half of Swindon seemed to be out there too
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Sunday, December 15, 2019, 09:06:26 »

Saw Wellens, Hunt and Mildy out in Bath last night. If they thought they could have a low profile drink there it was a bad choice as half of Swindon seemed to be out there too

Can’t quite remember the detail but I think Mildy told one of my mates that the players had flown up to Scotland for their Christmas do!
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Sunday, December 15, 2019, 09:34:34 »

Great win yesterday.
Not at our best for the first 30 or so, improved after that.

Clean sheets stacking up as well.
Three in first 10 games, five in next 11.

Most of the teams I've seen so far have been ok until the final third, then it's hope for the best after that.
Oldham were no different.

Hopefully this will be season of two consistent halves and not two very different ones.
1982-83. Second going into Christmas, lost a key game at home to Wimbledon. Faded and finished eighth.
No guarantees of anything at the moment.

We'll need to start clocking up some wins against direct rivals.
The upcoming fixtures mean that we'll have to.

Anyway, I'm off for a sip from a water bottle, hopefully without picking up an 'injury' in the process.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Sunday, December 15, 2019, 09:36:09 »

Can’t quite remember the detail but I think Mildy told one of my mates that the players had flown up to Scotland for their Christmas do!

Glasgow
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Sunday, December 15, 2019, 10:21:11 »

"That was the best football I ever watched at Oldham, under Wellens". Granted not a high bar, but nice tribute nonetheless
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Sunday, December 15, 2019, 10:22:52 »

Great win yesterday.
Not at our best for the first 30 or so, improved after that.

Clean sheets stacking up as well.
Three in first 10 games, five in next 11.

Most of the teams I've seen so far have been ok until the final third, then it's hope for the best after that.
Oldham were no different.

Hopefully this will be season of two consistent halves and not two very different ones.
1982-83. Second going into Christmas, lost a key game at home to Wimbledon. Faded and finished eighth.
No guarantees of anything at the moment.

We'll need to start clocking up some wins against direct rivals.
The upcoming fixtures mean that we'll have to.

Anyway, I'm off for a sip from a water bottle, hopefully without picking up an 'injury' in the process.

Smiley

Turn of the year 82/83, some nasty fixtures.  The Wombles game was a day after a game at Aldershot..... there were a lot of Town fans present, a 1-1 draw not too bad.

We then had Scunny, I recall a bunch of decent lads from Lincs in the Shrivenham Road... it just took mentioning Jack Brownsword to tame them. Decent game ended 2-2, one from Steve Cammack, oneof those very decent lower league scorers.

Scunny like Grimsby have now a Tory MP.... is there any Div 4 outfit who doesn't  Hmmm
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Sunday, December 15, 2019, 10:29:35 »

Oldham can be a very good side if they weren't so negative from the start.

Agreed.  They looked very neat, particularly in first half, but a dreadful mindset.

Funny game, we didn't look very good but I was always confident we'd win, possibly because Oldham clearly thought so.

Managed to miss both goals having a piss.  The perils of drink.

Someone said in pub after that the two goals were our only two shots on target.

Really looking like a promotion team now.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Sunday, December 15, 2019, 10:34:13 »

Is Hillier back doing the attendances?

Indeed.  We were amazed when they announced the attendance.  DRS much fuller than other 6K gates.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #324 on: Sunday, December 15, 2019, 10:35:55 »

You watching on iFollow JJ? If so what VPN you using?

Hello by the way, long time no see. Hope you're ok  Embarrassed
PM'd you Dave.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #325 on: Sunday, December 15, 2019, 10:56:08 »

From their forum, a fairly balanced piece TBH.

I thought we were the better team in the first half. We went at them from the kick off and they didn't like it. Any touch on them and they simply fell over.

It was good pressing, neat and tidy passing, and their keeper had a couple of heart in the mouth moments. With someone who could put half chances away, we could have been two or three up before they really threatened us.

Their goal came from leaving Woollery the freedom of Swindon; he was never going to miss. We didn't deserve to be behind at half time.

Wellens must have shot a rocket up their collective arses, because they came out fired up for the second half and we completely lost our shape.

Our attacks became fewer, were weren't winning second ball (and sometimes not even the first). It was as though the fight had been knocked out of us. We still had the odd chance but, apart from that miss from 5yds out from Iacovitti, we didn't look like scoring.

We gifted Doyle his goal with that awful pass from Wheater (why didn't he just lump it anywhere?) and the ginger one was never going to miss.

So, a very disappointing result because, despite Swindon being top of the league, we could have won it had we kept the first half momentum going and not been so sloppy defensively.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Sunday, December 15, 2019, 12:50:08 »

"That was the best football I ever watched at Oldham, under Wellens". Granted not a high bar, but nice tribute nonetheless

He's young, of course.  When I was his age I said the best football I ever watched was under Hoddle.  25 or so years later, it still is...

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
come on you redssss

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Sunday, December 15, 2019, 16:36:34 »

My thoughts on yesterday:
Started off quite slow which is unlike us under Wellens, but like most teams in this division, Oldham weren’t too much of a threat in the final third. Against the better teams in the division we would have likely got punished. We grew into the half and their keepers time wasting came back to bite them thanks to a good finish from Woolery (and a fantastic pass from Doughty which I didn’t appreciate at the time.)

Second-half we looked better but still nowhere near our best. Grant was getting heated and looked like a walking red card. Doyle shouldn’t have had his goal chalked off for offside but it didn’t matter as he scored just minutes later to kill off the game.

If we keep Grant, Doyle and Yates in January, I can’t see us really dropping out the top three. Even in our blip earlier in the season we never dropped out of the top seven. We’re winning games despite not being at our best which, as the cliche goes, is a good sign for a promotion side.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Sunday, December 15, 2019, 18:17:23 »

They were good in the first half... Until about 20 yards out. I was never really bothered we'd be in trouble, unless it came from a miscued Benda kick!

Sent from my CLT-L09

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Oldwembley69

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Sunday, December 15, 2019, 19:16:29 »

Baudry got booked. Does he miss the next game?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: