Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Oldham pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 55364 times)
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 20:16:50 »

A deserved win today.
We struggled for 20 mins until RW adjusted the formation from 442 to 451 (or 4231).
The first goal made a big difference as Oldham couldn’t sit back.
We defended well generally - they didn’t have many chances (a couple late on and a crucial block by Hunt at 0-0.
Woolery’s pace was our biggest threat for much of the game, and he took his goal well.
Referee was poor - and this helped create some of the niggle second half - Grant could easily have been booked as a result.
Doyle also took his goal well.
The wind disrupted the game - this was obvious fro: the difference in Benda’s kicking between first and second halves, RW and Steve White also referred to this on the radio post match.
The most important thing on a day like today is getting another 3 points. Keep ticking up the points and see where we end up in April/ May.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 20:24:43 »

Bit optimistic (spolling) for you Reg

All I ever do is call it as I see it, and atm for me getting through the window unscathed is key to how the second half of the season pans out, if it's favourable then no particular reason why we can't get an auto spot.
Flashheart

« Reply #287 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 20:32:33 »

We struggled for 20 mins until RW adjusted the formation from 442 to 451 (or 4231).

This is something that instills me with confidence.

Wellens does get it wrong sometimes. But when he does, he recognises that there is a problem and makes changes accordingly. He's good at spotting the 'common sense' stuff that so many fans spot but, for some reason, the experienced managers don't. How many times have we had managers standing in the dugout, arms folded, apparently clueless as what to do?

We've also been through a rough patch, a rough patch that lead some people to start asking for him to be sacked. But he turned it around. He obviously identified the problem (whatever it was) and fixed it.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 20:41:11 »

PO's are no use to us, it's auto or bust. ATM we are developing the habit of winning without necessarily being at our best, this is exactly what's needed, but uncertainty over what January will bring still means we shouldn't get too excited.

I was basing that on a fairly realistic "worse case" scenario of only managing another 8 wins or equivalent, in the second half of the season. POs would be our worse case. Since we are opening up a gap, not only from 8th down but also from the auto spots too. It's points on the board that matter and we find ourselves in a position where even teams with GiH can't catch us. It will be down to game by game. As long as we keep putting points on said board, the rest have to play catch up.

On the point of say Doyle returning to Bradford; was interesting to hear Wellens bring up Theo Robinson, during post match. I have a feeling even if we didn't retain the services of Doyle, there would be a raft of capable strikers wanting to help us get over the line and add a promotion to their CV. A Paul Benson type of cameo. Finding someone capable of getting just half of Doyle's tally would be decent enough for the rest of the season. I see Obika scored a brace for St.Mirren today. What's your favourite, Nicky Ajose up to lately?  Hmmm

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Flashheart

« Reply #289 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 20:44:47 »

I only deal with facts.

Here's a fact: We ARE top of the league.

FUCK YEAH!
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 20:47:44 »

Doughty’s assist for the first goal 😍

Their keeper being serenaded off with ‘it’s not your fault’ was gold. Football pantomime at its best
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 20:49:29 by Boeta » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 20:48:31 »

I was basing that on a fairly realistic "worse case" scenario of only managing another 8 wins or equivalent, in the second half of the season. POs would be our worse case. Since we are opening up a gap, not only from 8th down but also from the auto spots too. It's points on the board that matter and we find ourselves in a position where even teams with GiH can't catch us. It will be down to game by game. As long as we keep putting points on said board, the rest have to play catch up.

On the point of say Doyle returning to Bradford; was interesting to hear Wellens bring up Theo Robinson, during post match. I have a feeling even if we didn't retain the services of Doyle, there would be a raft of capable strikers wanting to help us get over the line and add a promotion to their CV. A Paul Benson type of cameo. Finding someone capable of getting just half of Doyle's tally would be decent enough for the rest of the season. I see Obika scored a brace for St.Mirren today. What's your favourite, Nicky Ajose up to lately?  Hmmm

Theo I think is a no no having played for 2 clubs already. NA we discussed a while back he's been injured and had an op.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 20:50:00 »

I only deal with facts.

Here's a fact: We ARE top of the league.

FUCK YEAH!

I'll drink to that!

'Incessant Nonsense'

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 20:57:37 »

Theo I think is a no no having played for 2 clubs already. NA we discussed a while back he's been injured and had an op.

Wasn't suggesting Theo, as he started at Sarfend this season, before experiencing racist abuse...from his own fans. Genuinely, just wondered what NA was up to.

I know it would seem cardinal sin to some but Obika might fancy coming on loan to Town and getting a promotion on his CV. Let's face it, he's winning nothing but local pride at St. Mirren. Plus, he's only 29.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 21:02:47 »

I’m sure Obika would fancy it, but Wellens certainly would not! Sights would be set somewhat higher.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 21:03:48 »

Wasn't suggesting Theo, as he started at Sarfend this season, before experiencing racist abuse...from his own fans. Genuinely, just wondered what NA was up to.

I know it would seem cardinal sin to some but Obika might fancy coming on loan to Town and getting a promotion on his CV. Let's face it, he's winning nothing but local pride at St. Mirren. Plus, he's only 29.

If we wanted an experienced finisher the Coxy might fit the bill.  Can't be much fun at Sarfend atm.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 21:13:18 »

Quote from: Boeta
Doughty’s assist for the first goal 😍

Their keeper being serenaded off with ‘it’s not your fault’ was gold. Football pantomime at its best

it's all your fault

(surely!)
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 21:13:45 »

Haha yeah good point
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 21:39:49 »

He’s also playing for St Mirren because he is injury prone and no other fucker would have him.

No thanks
Flashheart

« Reply #299 on: Saturday, December 14, 2019, 21:46:58 »

because he is injury prone

Or prone to getting 'injured' when things are not going his way.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: