Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Grimsby v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 47676 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Monday, December 9, 2019, 11:31:49 »

We are massively dependent on two goal scorers and a back-up in january could be useful, especially as we don't know what's going to happen with either.
Well yeah, but that's the same with any League 2 side, no-one has 3 or 4 20 goal a season strikers so they can sit 2 on the bench just in case a loan gets recalled or whatever. We have 2 such strikers, they're firing and clearly enjoying it here, so should we.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Monday, December 9, 2019, 11:32:31 »

Grant got fouled a lot on Saturday - thought he’d end up lumping one of them.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Monday, December 9, 2019, 12:33:54 »

Well yeah, but that's the same with any League 2 side, no-one has 3 or 4 20 goal a season strikers so they can sit 2 on the bench just in case a loan gets recalled or whatever. We have 2 such strikers, they're firing and clearly enjoying it here, so should we.

The problem being we own neither.

Whilst it’s a worse case scenario - end of month we could be back to 0 20 goal a season strikers.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Monday, December 9, 2019, 13:11:04 »

It's fine, you don't need 20 goal a season strikers, let alone 30 goal a season ones.

On our diving, I think that is a reference to Grant's ability to play dead when fouled.  He's very good at it, barely breathes.  He had one in the previous game where he milked it well past the yellow being shown.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Monday, December 9, 2019, 13:14:38 »

Whilst it’s a worse case scenario - end of month we could be back to 0 20 goal a season strikers.

A thought on this... if we DID own both, could we be at risk of one (or both) of them leaving to go somewhere else?

We are always likely to lose players in any scenario when they are performing well.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #305 on: Monday, December 9, 2019, 13:17:51 »

I saw no diving by Swindon players at all, they picked on Grant knowing he has a short guse and he did brilliantly to not be provoked when I thought he would retaliate.

The Hanson dive though is an absolute doozy and without paralelle this season, his reaction was 3 seconds after the challenge.

Later in the game Doughty and Grant went down easier than they probably should but I would think Grant was fouled in excess of 20 times in the game and Doughty was in double figures so I think it was done to make the ref aware they were being kicked by a team that had 2 plans of action all game, 1..hoof the ball to Hanson to win and 2...kick Grant and any midfielder who went past them.

Thats why they were so easy to beat, 1 trick ponies.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Monday, December 9, 2019, 13:21:10 »

No trick pony, surely.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #307 on: Monday, December 9, 2019, 13:25:04 »

No trick pony, surely.
Nearer to a no trick donkey it would appear on Saturdays showing!

Peter Venkman

« Reply #308 on: Monday, December 9, 2019, 13:58:33 »

I must admit that reading their forum and the quoye myself and RF put, they are a bunch of moaning fuckers who just cannot accept that they are shit it seems.

Almost certainly THE poorest side we have played this season, no quality, no good players, no tactics other than HOOOOOF to Hanson, a team of dirty bastards who just tried and failed to pick on Grant who handled himself almost impeccably.

Relegation fodder if they don't get a new manager in with at least 1 idea, put a rudder on that sinking ship so at least when you sink you are going in the right direction.

Even Macclesfield offered us more of a threat as did Crawley.

Grant was my MoM again for how he handled being manhandled all game and how some of their players got close to actually trying to injure him all game, Hessentaller the worst but not alone in his dirtiness and should have been sent off for 5 or 6 serious challenges put in on Lyden, Doughty and Grant. Looks like the wanker gene has been passed down from his dear old dad.

Yates was very close to MoM as he covered every inch and scored 2 although 1 was heavily deflected past an incredibly poor keeper who saved very little all game.

Doyle again led the line perfectly and is the striker we have been missing for years, he runs and chases things, wins long balls far better than a man of his stature probably should, hes strong and has a turn of pace but most of all knows exactly where the goal is and almost every shot he has is at least heading goalbound when it has left him.

Benda - 7 played well and claimed a few crosses and made a couple of routine saves, his kicking at times still leaves a bit to be desired but hes improving.

Hunt - 6 not his best game with a fair bit of wayward passing early on but he grew into the game and did well out of his natural position in all.

Baudry - 7 coped with Hanson who beat him in the air a few times but never beat him on the ground, his passing got better as the game went on too.

Fryers - 7 played well up against the huge Green who never really got the better of him and was subbed at HT, his distribution too was wayward at times but he played very well again.

Caddis - 6.5 solid as ever defending but didn't threaten them with crosses as much as he did in the last match, didn't get forward as often but was not used as an attacking outlet as much, did well.

Lyden - 8 played really well and made some good runs and passes all game, covered all the pitch as normal.

Doughty - 8 he looks to have lost some of the little pace he had but his range of passing and crossing is superb, created 1 and could have created several more too if we had converted them, needs to improve his dead ball skills, still doesn't look fully fit to me.

Grant - 9 controlled the game in midfieild as he has done in every game he has played, his passes rarely don't find a Town player and he controlled himself under severe intimidation from them.

Yates - 9 chased everything down and got 2 goals, would have got 4 if he kept his head a little better and connected cleaner with his strikes. Even covered Hunt at LB when he was caught out of position.

Doyle - 8.5 great finisher and line leader, chased everything and often won the ball, looked disappointed when taken off as he felt he could score more.

Woolery - 7 wasn't given the ball as much as he should have been, put a few excellent crosses into the box and a couple of headers too, his pace caused them problems all game when he had the ball.

Rose - only on for a couple of minutes but got 1 shot in that went just wide.

Curran - I don't think he kicked the ball in his cameo appearance.

Jaiyesimi - Looked fit and eager and ran a lot but did nothing really of consequence when he came on for the last 5 mins.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Monday, December 9, 2019, 14:32:07 »

Really? Blimey that had passed me by completely, why did nobody mention that before?
I was responding to the suggestion that we should be looking for a 3rd striker of similar ilk as back up if they go back and pointing out that while it would be nice to have such contingency, you don't get that luxury in L2. The same would apply if we had 2 strikers we owned and one or both got injured.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Monday, December 9, 2019, 18:30:52 »

All of our midfield go down easily (not that they do it all the time) but they know how to do it without getting caught, which is fine by me.

Sent from my CLT-L09

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: Monday, December 9, 2019, 18:56:41 »

We are massively dependent on two goal scorers and a back-up in january could be useful, especially as we don't know what's going to happen with either.

I reckon (hope) Power will bite the cost with doyle and we'll get Yates on loan untill the end of the season to move on there depending on where we and rotherham are. or something.

But whoever said above, the Rory Fallon comparison is apt. Didn't he end up scoring something stupid like 5 goals in 60mins for us coming off the bench. You do need that back up. Not sure we have the youths to make a breakthrough at the moment.

We’ve got 6 players for the front 3 - Doyle, Yates, Woolery, Anderson, Isgrove, DJ.

It’s a glut of riches and you’re only ever going to bring another in if we lose one.

Otherwise all the backup is already there
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Monday, December 9, 2019, 18:57:21 »

I know that PV's already trawled a few views from over on the Grim forum, but I always like fishing for compliments after a convincing away win so I thought I'd cast my net this morning to see what the weekend had dragged up. They're not happy haddocks:

In answer to the last post on there:

I think the scoreline flattered them a bit.  Sure, they were by the better side but we did show some promise at times.  if we'd been in a play off place and beaten by Swindon we'd say that but we are crucifying our team for losing to a really quick slick football team that added 'gamesmanship'into the mix. Who puts on a sub a minute from time when you're 3 up?!

Does this person not attend many matches or what? Almost every winning team makes a substitute in the last minute, whether they are 1-up, 3-up or 5-up. Sometimes even when they are only drawing....
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: Tuesday, December 10, 2019, 01:05:09 »

Really? Blimey that had passed me by completely, why did nobody mention that before?
I was responding to the suggestion that we should be looking for a 3rd striker of similar ilk as back up if they go back and pointing out that while it would be nice to have such contingency, you don't get that luxury in L2. The same would apply if we had 2 strikers we owned and one or both got injured.

I don't reckon having 3 strikers is a luxury for any club, I can think of times when the club's been in worse states than it is now, and even though Jimmy Quinn bought himself off the bench, over any youth players at the time,  at the age of 40 he was still a better shout than Wayne Gray. But still more than 2 strikers.

99/00, Reckon we still had Finney, Cowe, Gray (loan), and maybe another?

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Tuesday, December 10, 2019, 09:56:48 »

I don't reckon having 3 strikers is a luxury for any club,
No of course it's not and indeed we have more than that now, if you include Twine and Woolery. But I said 3 strikers "of similar ilk" i.e. capable of scoring 20+ a  season. Which I don't think many sides have in L2, because how many strikers of that ilk are prepared to come either on loan or permanently to sit on the bench in L2?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: