Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gap between appearances  (Read 7603 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 16:50:01 »

Niiiiiiiiice.

Love a thread like this.

Anyone got an longer than Rooney’s Everton spells?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 16:52:52 »

Vincent Kompany at Anderlecht must be very similar, 13 seasons both I think.

I reckon there might be a goalkeeper somewhere with a ridiculous number.

Edit: Ah, there was a Guardian article on this exact point - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/nov/06/which-players-have-had-the-longest-gap-between-spells-at-a-club (21 years!)
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 16:55:17 by Nemo » Logged
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 16:56:03 »

Paolo Di Canio: Lazio.

Left in ‘90 resigned in ‘04.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 16:56:37 »

Well, that ruins the (non STFC) fun Nemo
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 17:02:39 »

Well, that ruins the (non STFC) fun Nemo

I heard an interesting argument about this recently.  As recently as the 1990s, discussions like this could take up an entire evening in a pub.  Now, when there's trivia to be discussed, someone gets their phone out and heads for Wikipedia.  You get your trivia answered instantly and it kills the conversation dead.
Flashheart

« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 17:07:43 »

Yeah Nemo! FFS mate!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 17:13:58 »

I heard an interesting argument about this recently.  As recently as the 1990s, discussions like this could take up an entire evening in a pub.  Now, when there's trivia to be discussed, someone gets their phone out and heads for Wikipedia.  You get your trivia answered instantly and it kills the conversation dead.

A discussion myself and a friend have had numerous times ourselves and we are ‘only’ in our early 30s
Like wtf did we do in 1993 when we couldn’t remember who played left back for England in their last friendly or how many goals Jeremy Goss scored for Norwich that year...
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 17:43:51 »

Yeah Nemo! FFS mate!

Wasn't having a pop, I promise.  Wink

I'm as guilty as anyone of looking things up.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 17:47:52 »

Chico Bates left as a player in 1980 and returned about 9 years later as assistant manager, not that he was a player then though.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 17:58:12 »

A discussion myself and a friend have had numerous times ourselves and we are ‘only’ in our early 30s
Like wtf did we do in 1993 when we couldn’t remember who played left back for England in their last friendly or how many goals Jeremy Goss scored for Norwich that year...

Usually we picked out my Dad's Rothmans Football Annual for a particular year to figure out some trivia. Similar age to you and yep we all take for granted this internet stuff, in some way. When someone now says "Oh what was such and such called..." I categorically hate it when someone just reaches for the phone. I'm like "No, we can think of it!"

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 19:32:54 »

The same things happen, what is surprising though is often how little people still know despite access to the most powerful tool in human history.

Having said that it reminded me of 90's nights down the pub. There was a fella who was hard work in anything but small doses, who did fancy himself on football trivia, so I'd prepare a set of questions to take along, that would keep him quiet. Amazing how many other would come and join in and try and get the answers and the debate it produced.

A barmaid who was and tbf still is extremely fit (though now no longer a barmaid), use dto play this all the time.... great tune...

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 19:37:08 »

Does she still play New Radicals too Reg? Or are you not privy to her company anymore?

'Incessant Nonsense'

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 20:13:30 »

Does she still play New Radicals too Reg? Or are you not privy to her company anymore?

I don't know... back then I was a married man, so it was look but don't touch.

My ex wife bought me the Barry Hugman book.... Players Records 1946-84 in about 82. She knew the way to my heart  Smiley
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 20:18:00 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 20:16:12 »

I don't know... back then I was a married man, so it was look but don't touch.

Ooh you are awful...but I like you!

'Incessant Nonsense'

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 21:28:45 »

The same things happen, what is surprising though is often how little people still know despite access to the most powerful tool in human history.

Having said that it reminded me of 90's nights down the pub. There was a fella who was hard work in anything but small doses, who did fancy himself on football trivia, so I'd prepare a set of questions to take along, that would keep him quiet. Amazing how many other would come and join in and try and get the answers and the debate it produced.

A barmaid who was and tbf still is extremely fit (though now no longer a barmaid), use dto play this all the time.... great tune...

Similar story yet completely different - about someone thinking they know best

So, about 10 years ago now and I’m seeing my lady friend of the time and ourselves as well as her 3 friends and they’re partners we’ve all gone back to one of their houses.

So, one of the girls is channel surfing and we end up with the Buffy The Vampire Slayer movie on
One of the lads goes ‘oh look it’s Dick Van Dyke’ I disagree and say it’s not. Mostly on account of it being a completely different actor most would recognise as Donald Sutherland.

Anyway this lad won’t budge on his opinion that it’s Dick Van Dyke to the point where he offers me outside for a fight.

...anyway, we waited for the credits & low and behold it turned out Donald Sutherland was in fact Donald Sutherland and not Dick Van Dyke. He finally shut the fuck up at that point.

Totally bizarre thing to passionately argue about - let alone when you’re so obviously wrong.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: