Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Cheltenham FA Cup rd 1 replay pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 42145 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 09:55:16 »

Certainly wouldn't call Swindon beating Cheltenham an FA Cup shock,    come on Reg, it's not like we're playing Liverpool !!.

So no shock then..... which isn't a shock. 

That's 9 replay defeats now going back near on 30 years.  8 games without a win v Numb, going back to PdC.  4 games for Wellens v Numb without a win, 2 draws 2 defeats,, and no wins in a cup game in his managerial career.

The die was cast, when there was a bit in the Adver about Doughty taking over pen duties from Doyle.

Positives... weather permitting the game v Bradford will go ahead.  Could be a biggy.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 09:57:55 »

4 games for Wellens v Numb without a win, 2 draws 2 defeats,, and no wins in a cup game in his managerial career.
Relevant
That's 9 replay defeats now going back near on 30 years.  8 games without a win v Numb, going back to PdC. 
About as relevant as the sun rising in Scorpio through the house of Venus
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #152 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 09:58:32 »

Here's a question, posed as somebody who hasn't made it to a game yet this season...

It's clear we miss Doyle when he doesn't play, and for all Yates' hard work and endeavour he simply can't replace him as the centre forward. Is this because we can't live without Doyle, or is it because we are sipmly less effective with Yates playing that central role? I.e. would the best response to losing Doyle in January be to bring in another centre forward who Yates can combine with? Whilst Doyle is clearly bang in form, we seem to be creating a hatful of chances for him that any reasonable centre forward should thrive off.

Thoughts?

For me I like Yates work rate but hes not a clinical finisher.

Doyle leads the line well for a man of his build, his link up play is excellent in pretty much every game and bring other players into the game and works very hard in the channels, not what he is known for TBH but he has done well.

But, for me the clincher is that hes cool and calm and can finish given half a chance, he is a real sniffer.

Something we havent had since probably Austin. Ajose was decent but not a patch on Doyle for clinical finishing IMO.

We do change our style somewhat when its just Yates up front and Yates cannot play the same role as Doyle.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 10:00:38 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 10:08:10 »

For me I like Yates work rate but hes not a clinical finisher.

Doyle leads the line well for a man of his build, his link up play is excellent in pretty much every game and bring other players into the game and works very hard in the channels, not what he is known for TBH but he has done well.

But, for me the clincher is that hes cool and calm and can finish given half a chance, he is a real sniffer.

Something we havent had since probably Austin. Ajose was decent but not a patch on Doyle for clinical finishing IMO.

We do change our style somewhat when its just Yates up front and Yates cannot play the same role as Doyle.

Assuming Doyle will be gone in Jan, what's happening with NA.   I noticed he played a bit in August early Sept for Grecians but seems to have been missing since.... assume injured.  If fit could he be a realistic replacement, someone to finish off moves  Hmmm
Panda Paws

« Reply #154 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 10:08:28 »

Didn't go, but it's clear we did break them down, but just missed sitters when we had the chances.

No concern here - 9/10 times you win that game, but Cheltenham is always the one time we don't.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #155 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 10:16:51 »

Assuming Doyle will be gone in Jan, what's happening with NA.   I noticed he played a bit in August early Sept for Grecians but seems to have been missing since.... assume injured.  If fit could he be a realistic replacement, someone to finish off moves  Hmmm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49924699

Out for a long time.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 10:29:03 »

You have to think that with Isgrove, Anderson, Doyle & Grant we would have beaten them in both of those games. Created enough and did enough to win both games, but didn't. Cheltenham well drilled but little in terms of quality, constantly looking for the pacey little guy up front with balls in behind which Baudry and Fryers dealt with well all but once (my initial thought was their goal was offside but I was probably wrong and haven't seen it back).

What is it with Cheltenham?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #157 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 10:39:26 »

What is it with Cheltenham?
And the Pox.

Some teams just have the "evil eye" over teams, ours are Cheltenham and Oxford.

We have similar over Port Vale (2 wins in 15 games) and Mansfield Town who have only beaten us 3 times, all at Mansfield in the last 22 games.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 10:53:38 »

And the Pox.

Up until they moved to the Kassam.... Swindon/Oxford was the most one sided derby in English football. We've lost 7 league games to Numb it took Oxford 33 years to register that amount.

We've yet to score a goal at the Kassam.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 11:11:27 »

And the Pox.

Some teams just have the "evil eye" over teams, ours are Cheltenham and Oxford.

We have similar over Port Vale (2 wins in 15 games) and Mansfield Town who have only beaten us 3 times, all at Mansfield in the last 22 games.

Today is the 54th anniversary of beating Mansfield 6-2 when Keith East scored 5.... the only time I've seen a Town player do that.

We then won 5-1 at Field Mill, with Owen Dawson and John Trollope, full backs scoring within a minute of each other in the 88 and 89th, which at the time and probably still is the fastest example of both full backs scoring.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 11:19:02 »

Having seen the highlights back... Lyden's miss after the penalty... Jesus...
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #161 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 11:24:28 »

When Doughty missed, my brain went "Ffs..................oh, tap in.................Ffs!"
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 11:36:34 »

Just watched them on the BBC site. Jeez Lyden! Yates! Doughty! Jaiyesimi! Though we looked to have a pretty lenient lino for some of those chances. We really only have ourselves to blame.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 11:50:10 »

the BBC summed up the match for me.

On another day, the hosts would have sailed through with ease.

Iv been banging on about the finances this tie could bring, mightily disappointing. Missing so many key players BUT we still deserved to win. thats football. a win Saturday and il be over it. (until the 3rd round draw)
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 13:36:40 »

[quote author=Reg Smeeton link=topic=57964.msg1520401#msg1520401

That's 9 replay defeats now going back near on 30 years.  8 games without a win v Numb, going back to PdC.  4 games for Wellens v Numb without a win, 2 draws 2 defeats,, and no wins in a cup game in his managerial career.

[/quote]ahh but records are there to be broken,   oh yee of little faith  !!,   it will happen (one day).

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: