Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: England's 1000th game  (Read 8565 times)
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, November 14, 2019, 17:47:26 »

Not sure I agree with Ferdinand. A good player, yes, but I don't think he was ever really 'world class'.

There are a lot of midfielders to choose from. David Platt has to be in with a shout of making the best XI. He didn't score a lot, but Ray Wilkins too.

Striking options again are plentiful. Rooney has to be in consideration.

All down to personal opinion and you could pick multiple starting 11s quite easily. Rio was a fantastic defender and most definitely world class to me and one of the most decorated english defenders going.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, November 15, 2019, 00:33:52 »

Surely one from Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard has to make the midfield? Can't really discount someone like Teddy Sheringham as he was key to a chunk of Shearer's goals. Back to Midfield and a player who seemed to have an abundance of pace, flair, a fair amount of assists and could pop up with a goal or two from out wide - Steve McManaman (?)

Defensively we've had some great CBs too. John Terry (his copy book is blotted by the Wayne Bridge saga), Tony Adams and already mentioned - Big Sol Campbell.

There really are too many to pick and then association to your closest or most memorable decade clouds judgement a little. It would be better to pick a "Best XI" for each decade instead. Much because the game has changed as well as the culture surrounding professional football (sport) on the whole.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, November 15, 2019, 12:52:20 »

Sheringham, fuck off.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, November 15, 2019, 18:29:24 »

Sheringham, fuck off.

Yes I was going to say, I know he's a cunt but as a second striker, I'd say his goals and assists were integral to his partnership with Alan Shearer. In fact Shearer hadn't scored for England for about a year leading up to Euro '96. I remember several people groaning at his selection at the time. Yet they delivered in that tournament (something like 8 between them I think) and in International games to follow. You could say Sheringham helped Shearer kick on.

I'll never forget "that" win v Holland.

It is all about opinions though.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Mplanney

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, November 15, 2019, 18:36:41 »

Sheringham, fuck off.
😊😊 you know he’s better than Owen, Rob
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, November 16, 2019, 03:27:49 »

If you’re going for the best team rather than best 11 individuals and you're going for Shearer as #9 then you undoubtedly go for Sheringham as #10.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, November 16, 2019, 09:04:12 »

Beckham would be nowhere near, fair enough he tried hard and had a good deadball delivery but nowhere near as good as say Scholes.
Hardly anyone would argue with Scholes being better than Beckham, but they're not really comparable players. One very much an offensive central midfielder and the other played almost every moment on the right wing.

Also I think Beckham deserves more credit than that. The match that best highlights this is when he grabbed the Greece game by the balls and single-handedly qualified us for the World Cup. Ridiculous, last minute, match-winning free-kick aside, he was everywhere on that pitch in the second half - literally winning the ball at left-back and then pressing the opposition full back a few moments later. The other England players looked nervous and a bit hopeless, but along with a couple of other stand-outs, I'd struggle to remember ever seeing a better individual performance, particularly such an effective and important one.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, November 16, 2019, 09:20:14 »

Hardly anyone would argue with Scholes being better than Beckham, but they're not really comparable players. One very much an offensive central midfielder and the other played almost every moment on the right wing.

Also I think Beckham deserves more credit than that. The match that best highlights this is when he grabbed the Greece game by the balls and single-handedly qualified us for the World Cup. Ridiculous, last minute, match-winning free-kick aside, he was everywhere on that pitch in the second half - literally winning the ball at left-back and then pressing the opposition full back a few moments later. The other England players looked nervous and a bit hopeless, but along with a couple of other stand-outs, I'd struggle to remember ever seeing a better individual performance, particularly such an effective and important one.

For me, the odd good game isn't enough, and he was good v Greeks. 

Alan Ball for example was a much more effective wide man than Beckham, and his WC sending off was in a qualifier, not for a girlie little prod at Simeone, but a proper Dave Mackay on Bremner type thing.

Ball, never really gets the praise he deserves as a player, prob because he moved between clubs a lot, and wasn't very good as a manager.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, November 16, 2019, 10:03:04 »

Banks

Alexander-Arnold    Moore    Ferdinand    Pearce

Robson

Hoddle             Gascoigne       Barnes

Shearer         Rooney

Bench: Pickford, Terry, Gerrard, Scholes, Lineker
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, November 16, 2019, 10:52:24 »

For me, the odd good game isn't enough, and he was good v Greeks.

Alan Ball for example was a much more effective wide man than Beckham, and his WC sending off was in a qualifier, not for a girlie little prod at Simeone, but a proper Dave Mackay on Bremner type thing.

Ball, never really gets the praise he deserves as a player, prob because he moved between clubs a lot, and wasn't very good as a manager.
My recollection of England in the early 2000's is that for a year or so Beckham carried the team on his shoulders and we would have been nothing without him. One of the all time greats IMO.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, November 16, 2019, 11:01:09 »

Banks

Alexander-Arnold    Moore    Ferdinand    Pearce

Robson

Hoddle             Gascoigne       Barnes

Shearer         Rooney

Bench: Pickford, Terry, Gerrard, Scholes, Lineker

Alexander Arnold has eight caps, and only played a full game in half of those. He's going to be a strong contender by the end (or frankly middle) of his career, but you're jumping the gun there. If you really can't bring yourself to pick Gary Neville, then Kyle Walker and even Trippier has done more for England right now.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, November 16, 2019, 13:29:12 »

My recollection of England in the early 2000's is that for a year or so Beckham carried the team on his shoulders and we would have been nothing without him. One of the all time greats IMO.

Yep.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, November 16, 2019, 13:41:07 »

From my time watching England to 92 onwards

Seaman

Neville
Ferdinand
Campbell
A.Cole

Beckham
Platt
Scholes
J.Cole

Shearer
Owen
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 08:02:36 »

My favourite 11 England players from over the years (not a functioning team as such - I can't think of a right back who has sufficiently impressed me to be included)

Shilton

Moore
Walker (Des)
Sansom

Beckham
Hoddle
Gascoigne
Brooking

Keegan (my all time favourite England player)
Sheringam (yes Rob T, you read that correctly)
Lineker
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 08:05:05 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 08:29:03 »

Banks

Cohen
Charlton (J)
Moore
Wilson

Charlton (B)
Stiles
Ball
Peters

Hurst
Hunt

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: