Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Doyle and Grant  (Read 109622 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« on: Monday, November 11, 2019, 11:01:19 »

It’s approaching the Jan window and these 2 players appear to be pivotal to our ongoing success.

Bradford seem to have a recall for Doyle but there is no indication if they will - or can - use it. They offloaded both Doyle and Scannell to free up their budget to recruit 6 other players. Will a returning Doyle push them over whatever financial restrictions the EFL have (I have no idea what they may be).

Their fans seem to think that even if he doesn’t actually play for them again it would be logical to recall him to maybe mess up our promotion bid. Maybe we have an option to buy clause in January. Maybe they would insist on us paying his entire wages - though I’ve heard we are actually paying the large majority of it anyway.

Grant has been, in my eyes, MOM for virtually every game he’s played and again there is no indication as to where he will be come January.

So while it would be brilliant to have them both, if push came to shove and we could only have one, which one would you prefer?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, November 11, 2019, 11:05:13 »

It’s approaching the Jan window and these 2 players appear to be pivotal to our ongoing success.

Bradford seem to have a recall for Doyle but there is no indication if they will - or can - use it. They offloaded both Doyle and Scannell to free up their budget to recruit 6 other players. Will a returning Doyle push them over whatever financial restrictions the EFL have (I have no idea what they may be).

Their fans seem to think that even if he doesn’t actually play for them again it would be logical to recall him to maybe mess up our promotion bid. Maybe we have an option to buy clause in January. Maybe they would insist on us paying his entire wages - though I’ve heard we are actually paying the large majority of it anyway.

Grant has been, in my eyes, MOM for virtually every game he’s played and again there is no indication as to where he will be come January.

So while it would be brilliant to have them both, if push came to shove and we could only have one, which one would you prefer?
Doyle. Grant is superb, and would be a massive loss if we can't keep him, but as we have found over the past few seasons it can be very hard to replace that number of goals. But I think if anything we're more likely to be able to sign Grant on a perm in Jan.
Flashheart

« Reply #2 on: Monday, November 11, 2019, 11:13:14 »

We're closer to having a replacement for Grant (Lyden) than we are to having a replacement for Doyle's goals.
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, November 11, 2019, 11:17:44 »

if we do reach the second round then I imagine that at least one of them would then be available to play as their parent clubs played each other in the FA Cup, iirc both Grant & Doyle have played for their parent clubs this season so they wouldn't be able to play for anyone else this season, so there is no reason for the one from the losing team not to play in the next round if we get there.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, November 11, 2019, 11:26:18 »

if we do reach the second round then I imagine that at least one of them would then be available to play as their parent clubs played each other in the FA Cup, iirc both Grant & Doyle have played for their parent clubs this season so they wouldn't be able to play for anyone else this season, so there is no reason for the one from the losing team not to play in the next round if we get there.
Don't think Grant has, has he? He was exiled to training with the youth team in the summer and not brought back into the fold, hence why they wanted rid. Apologies if I've got that wrong
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, November 11, 2019, 11:58:01 »

Good point Jutty.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, November 11, 2019, 12:04:42 »

It’s not really the FA Cup that’s important, though. We want both players for the ongoing league season.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, November 11, 2019, 12:50:30 »

It’s not really the FA Cup that’s important, though. We want both players for the ongoing league season.

We do, but if an unexpected cup run boosts the coffers it may help us do that.

Though I'm not sure cup runs can offset the wage cap.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, November 11, 2019, 13:05:43 »

We do, but if an unexpected cup run boosts the coffers it may help us do that.

Though I'm not sure cup runs can offset the wage cap.

I thought the wage cap was a % of income.  A cup run boosts income and in turn allows for an increased wage cap.

£36k for beating Chelt next week plus additional gate receipts. thats £36k more than we get every year over recent years! Get a nice draw and get another £56k. then a big 3rd round and it makes all of the difference for a promotion push.

For those that say focus on the league etc. we can't say no to this potential income and we must get this win next week!
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, November 11, 2019, 13:41:13 »

My understanding of the wage cap is the same as Singingiffy’s, although I think equity capital injections (but not loans) from owners can increase it further.

On the question of Grant or Doyle, if we could only keep one I think I’d opt for Grant, although not much in it.

Looking to next year and beyond, and given the ages of these two, I would say Yates is the best long term bet of the three, and we need to keep him beyond January too.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, November 11, 2019, 13:46:30 »

I've had a 5 minute look, and it looks like budgets should not assume progress past round 1 of any cup.

So if that really is the case, the cash will (presumably) still help with transfer fees, but we may need to shift players out to keep below the wage %.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, November 11, 2019, 15:50:12 »

So, can anyone come up with a reason why both clubs are tight lipped over Doyle? Nobody is even saying if there is a recall option or not.

Who benefits from the secrecy?
Oldwembley69

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, November 11, 2019, 16:05:18 »

Just noticed (and realised) that Bradford and Shrewsbury have a reply against each other as well

So.. when we beat numb it would  mean either Doyle or Grant could be available for the next round?  Ideally need Shrewsbury to win as there would be no reason for Doyle not play for us in next round.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, November 11, 2019, 16:07:47 »

So, can anyone come up with a reason why both clubs are tight lipped over Doyle? Nobody is even saying if there is a recall option or not.

Who benefits from the secrecy?
Bradford, as their fans who insisted he's the Irish Jamie Slabber would throw a hissy fit if he reaches 20 goals by Christmas and they can't recall him. Although that would all come out in January anyway if true...
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, November 11, 2019, 16:12:56 »

Just noticed (and realised) that Bradford and Shrewsbury have a reply against each other as well

So.. when we beat numb it would  mean either Doyle or Grant could be available for the next round?  Ideally need Shrewsbury to win as there would be no reason for Doyle not play for us in next round.
Keep up !!.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: