Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Remembrance Sunday: Great Uncle Ralph Brigginshaw  (Read 4973 times)
Briggany

Ignore
« on: Monday, November 11, 2019, 09:42:56 »

Today is a very emotional one for anyone that had relatives or friends in the services that have given their lives or passed away. This year is especially poignant due to the passing of my Great Uncle, Ralph Brigginshaw.

Great Uncle Ralph passed away in October, 3 days after receiving his Norwegian War Medal for his involvement in the Battle of Narvik.

The adver has written up a very humbling article, even though they got my age wrong l.o.l.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/18027697.swindon-familys-tributes-last-surviving-member-world-war-2-naval-battle/

His coffin was draped with the Royal Navy White Ensign and carried to its final resting place by my dad, uncle (dad brother) and another uncle (one of grandads nephews) and myself. I had never, and will never again, have such an honour and privilege to carry a WW2 veteran to their final resting place. He, along with his crewmates, carried so much on their backs when they went to war it was only fitting that he be carried the final few feets to his resting place by others.

I urge you all to share your stories today, to help share the grief and memory of all those lost.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them"
« Last Edit: Monday, November 11, 2019, 09:53:21 by Briggany » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, November 11, 2019, 10:05:48 »

Great story.

My grandad was captured at Dunkirk, inland, defending those awaiting extraction off the beaches. Spent 5 years as a POW, he basically had to walk to Poland.
« Last Edit: Monday, November 11, 2019, 10:07:44 by 4D » Logged
Briggany

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, November 11, 2019, 10:36:11 »

Great story.

My grandad was captured at Dunkirk, inland, defending those awaiting extraction off the beaches. Spent 5 years as a POW, he basically had to walk to Poland.

My great grandad on my mums side was captured at Dunkirk also, he was part of the vanguard that held the germans back whilst the evac happened.

He also had to do the long march to Poland and spent the rest of the war in a POW Camp.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, November 11, 2019, 11:01:36 »

They might have fought alongside each other, he was in one of the Highlander regiments, either seaforth or argyll and Sutherland. My dad can't recall which. We have a Christmas 1943 postcard from the stalag he was in.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #4 on: Monday, November 11, 2019, 12:33:17 »

Mt Great Uncle Alfred died in Ypres on 13th November 1914 after surviving the initial large battle at Mons.

He fought directly vs Adolf Hitler in the battle of Geluvelt, Ypres.

He signed up on the 1st day of the war at Monmouth although he lived in Coleford in the Forest of Dean. He was 26 and fought in 3 battles prior to his death. He was blown up by a shell along with 6 others and his body was never found hence his name being on the Menin Gate at Ypres.

My Uncle still has his "Soldiers Penny" given to families that have lost sons in battle.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
turbotubbs

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, November 11, 2019, 12:55:53 »

Was he a regular soldier? I can't imagine any volunteers would have fought at Mons -that was the regular army (the BEF). It's nice to hear of a 'death penny' with the family - often see these in antique/junk shops.
Unbelievable what these men went through.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, November 11, 2019, 17:25:15 »

Mt Great Uncle Alfred died in Ypres on 13th November 1914 after surviving the initial large battle at Mons.

He fought directly vs Adolf Hitler in the battle of Geluvelt, Ypres.

He signed up on the 1st day of the war at Monmouth although he lived in Coleford in the Forest of Dean. He was 26 and fought in 3 battles prior to his death. He was blown up by a shell along with 6 others and his body was never found hence his name being on the Menin Gate at Ypres.

My Uncle still has his "Soldiers Penny" given to families that have lost sons in battle.

Very sad story,  as already said so many 'pennies' turn up at auction,  I often think surely there must be some one in the family proud to own it.   Maybe they have no family left but it is small reward for the loss of a life,  glad to hear yours is still in the family and  being cherished.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, November 11, 2019, 17:45:06 »

I did some research into the death of my great-uncle, Reggie Gumbleton, on a ship in the Dardanelles in 1915, and was amazed at the detail I was able to uncover. I recorded it on the British Legion's impressive Every One Remembered site:
https://www.everyoneremembered.org/profiles/soldier/3033657/

More recently, I've been trying to piece together the events leading to the demise of a family member who was shot down in an Anson off the coast of Holland in May 1940 while trying to stop a flotilla of E-Boats getting down to Dunkirk. The crew were spotted ditching and taking to a life-raft, but the next day no sign of it could be found. Did it sink or were the crew disposed of by the E-Boats?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, November 12, 2019, 09:40:55 »

My grandfather worked in the theatre in chiswick before the war. He was drafted and sailed to Canada to get pilot training for the RAF. He then sailed back across a u-Boat infested Atlantic to fly Lancaster bombers until the end of the war.
His uncles died in ww1. His brother died in a battle in Belgium

It amazes me I’m alive.
Briggany

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, November 12, 2019, 09:53:50 »

These are amazing stories guys, this is what remembrance day is about. Thank you all for sharing, I hope that these stories continue on down the generations until the world wars are seen in the same light as the other wars before them.
Mister Lorenzo
Dirk Diggler

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, November 12, 2019, 10:49:31 »

My maternal grandfather spent pretty much all of WW2 in India as a gunner in the Royal Observer Corp, waiting for the expected invasion by the Japanese that never came. The only action he saw was when he was accidentally run over by some type of heavy gun on wheels, which broke his leg.

My paternal grandfather had an even easier time of it being in a "reserved occupation" as a bus driver in Swindon.

They were both very lucky compared to most!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, November 12, 2019, 12:49:15 »

Did they consider themselves lucky?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, November 12, 2019, 14:48:37 »

My great great grandfather Richard Bartlett died of wounds on 15 August 1917 aged 39 and is buried at Le Havre.

He was with the Somerset Light Infantry. From what I can gather, his battalion were part of the BEF but my limited research hasn't really turned up much in terms of where he actually saw battle (or if he actually did).
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, November 12, 2019, 15:43:03 »

Private Dennis Dew, my great uncle was killed in 1944 fighting to liberate the town of Brunssum in Holland.   

He was buried in the town and my daughter visited on a battlefield trip with the school last year.  The town of Brunssum honoured those who fought to liberate the town by giving them honorary citizenship of the town in September this year.   

Never knowingly overstated.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, November 12, 2019, 16:00:30 »

My great great grandfather Richard Bartlett died of wounds on 15 August 1917 aged 39 and is buried at Le Havre.

He was with the Somerset Light Infantry. From what I can gather, his battalion were part of the BEF but my limited research hasn't really turned up much in terms of where he actually saw battle (or if he actually did).

See entry for 14th August on the Purton in the Great War fb group. Plenty of detail and photos there.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/pgw1418/posts/

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: