Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FA cup rd 1 - Cheltenham v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 48843 times)
WEBBERhyde

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Sunday, November 10, 2019, 11:43:43 »

To be fair, in the last minute of a cup game where they’re chucking all the bodies forward, anything can happen with a lucky bounce and a bit of chaos. Not sure why Woolery seems to be coming from deep right back position when he should have been under and contesting that ball forward from the kick off, rather than arriving late to it.

Still can’t believe we didn’t win that. Special mention to Baudry. He was immense yesterday (when he wasn’t slipping over in the first half).
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Sunday, November 10, 2019, 13:08:36 »

One thing that yesterday and early season did show is that we play much better football and retain possession easier with one up front (as we have the extra centre mid) but are less dangerous up front. Just need to find a Balance between the 2 systems and we should be right up there at the end of the season. Very useful that we can play both ways and I would class that as having a plan B rather than the plan b being to hoof it up to a target man as some have suggested in the past.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Sunday, November 10, 2019, 13:43:35 »

Looking at the highlights and that was a really tentative effort from Woolery in the first half.
Keeper saved it but it wasn't on target.

Maybe a different outcome if Doyle had been running through in that situation.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Sunday, November 10, 2019, 13:47:33 »

Looking at the highlights and that was a really tentative effort from Woolery in the first half.
Keeper saved it but it wasn't on target.

Maybe a different outcome if Doyle had been running through in that situation.

I thought the same. He really doesn't have much of a clue facing goal does he.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Sunday, November 10, 2019, 14:15:34 »

And that's why we are third not 13th. A good performance without Doyle, still drew.
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Sunday, November 10, 2019, 16:22:49 »

One thing that yesterday and early season did show is that we play much better football and retain possession easier with one up front (as we have the extra centre mid) but are less dangerous up front. Just need to find a Balance between the 2 systems and we should be right up there at the end of the season. Very useful that we can play both ways and I would class that as having a plan B rather than the plan b being to hoof it up to a target man as some have suggested in the past.

Agree with this. Always thought that although Doyle has scored a bundle of goals that we can clearly ill afford to lose, his partnership with Yates is not a natural one and does mean we sacrifice Doughty being able to play further forward with his extra creativity. A nice problem to have though.
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Sunday, November 10, 2019, 16:24:11 »

Seems like the desperate defensive lunges didn't help Benda either.

Agree but loved the commitment nonetheless!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Sunday, November 10, 2019, 17:18:32 »

Thing is one up front is fine as long as you're in the game, so you can play counter attack, problem comes if you go behind or like at home the opposition banks up behind the ball. It's then that you need options
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Sunday, November 10, 2019, 17:37:58 »

When is the replay date?

Confirmed tomorrow?

I might have to cancel a night away I've booked.

Clems Army!
Chunkyhair

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Sunday, November 10, 2019, 17:47:19 »

No Doyle, Grant, Isgrove, Anderson, nailed on pen ignored, goal disallowed and we battered them second half. And the minute or so after we scored was the kind of pure joy you can only experience at football. Taking a lot of positives from that.

This - the joy after the goal was amazing, and of course then brought down to earth.  But a few hours to reflect and yes, there are many many positives to take out of yesterday.  A bit disappointed I wont be able to make the replay cos if we carry on like that we will batter them. But then again football doesn't work like that, but we can hope... even if it is the hope that kills you.

As per my strap line - here endeth the thread.

No one kills a thread like me....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Sunday, November 10, 2019, 18:30:14 »

This - the joy after the goal was amazing, and of course then brought down to earth.  But a few hours to reflect and yes, there are many many positives to take out of yesterday.  A bit disappointed I wont be able to make the replay cos if we carry on like that we will batter them. But then again football doesn't work like that, but we can hope... even if it is the hope that kills you.

Indeed, as per yesterdays chat, we haven't won a replay for near on 30 years losing 8 in that time, so the weight of history very much against and it is Numb, so probably best not to think too much about prevailing, that way you don't get disappointed.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Sunday, November 10, 2019, 19:15:11 »

Indeed, as per yesterdays chat, we haven't won a replay for near on 30 years losing 8 in that time, so the weight of history very much against and it is Numb, so probably best not to think too much about prevailing, that way you don't get disappointed.
Given that pretty much (I haven't checked but I'll lay odds) none of our team or theirs or our management or theirs were involved in any of those replays over the last 30 years, that's all irrelevant though, other than as a superstition.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Sunday, November 10, 2019, 19:34:55 »

Given that pretty much (I haven't checked but I'll lay odds) none of our team or theirs or our management or theirs were involved in any of those replays over the last 30 years, that's all irrelevant though, other than as a superstition.

Of course it is....  Roll Eyes

What it means is that often in cup football we're not very good in recent years. Wellens has yet to win a cup game of any sort as a manager, he's also had 4 shots at Numb and yet to win, this tells me that it will be a very difficult game, of course it's possible to win, but not something that should be taken as a given.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Sunday, November 10, 2019, 19:53:00 »

this tells me that it will be a very difficult game, of course it's possible to win, but not something that should be taken as a given.
So...we may win, we may not...🤔

« Last Edit: Sunday, November 10, 2019, 20:55:26 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Sunday, November 10, 2019, 20:43:51 »

Zeki Fryers has become a more than adequate replacement for Conroy at CB. We’re actually looking good defensively at the moment.

Don’t know for sure, but I reckon our goals against stats are good since Fryers started at CB.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: