Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FA cup rd 1 - Cheltenham v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 48841 times)
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, November 8, 2019, 08:38:23 »

If as expected Doyle and Grant are the 2 loanees that miss out, then would like to see Iandolo given a chance at wide left of a 4 in midfield with DJ on the other wing and Yates/Woolery up top. Normal back 4.

2-1 win with Woolery and Yates scoring.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, November 8, 2019, 08:45:28 »

I think we will get a narrow win tomorrow - I assume they may also have a couple of changes (if they have any loanees who are not allowed to play).
Like others I am slightly drawn to the argument that a cup run means more games (possible injuries etc) and could impede progress in the league, but the other side is the extra revenue could be used to boost the squad in January, or make a loanee permanent. with promotion as our main target, the ideal scenario is a win tomorrow, a straightforward win in round 2 and a money spinner against a big premier league team in round 3 (Man U, Arsenal or Spurs away - assuming biggest grounds = most revenue), losing that game narrowly. We bank the profits and only have one L2 game to rearrange.
CMT82

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, November 8, 2019, 09:10:27 »

Certainly about time for a cup run. Finances hugely important especially with such a heavy squad, £36k for winning tomorrow and £54k for a second round win - all before a potential R3 money-spinner. It's not just the cash, but the interest a R3 big tie could generate and hopefully attracting a few more fans for a promotion push.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, November 8, 2019, 09:56:07 »

If as expected Doyle and Grant are the 2 loanees that miss out, then would like to see Iandolo given a chance at wide left of a 4 in midfield with DJ on the other wing and Yates/Woolery up top. Normal back 4.

2-1 win with Woolery and Yates scoring.

I wonder if Benda might be one to mis out?  If by the 3rd round Swans have picked a up a keeper injury they'll prob want him back.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, November 8, 2019, 10:30:29 »

It's been a while since we had a big Cup away day.  Somewhere like Goodison or Villa Park would be amazing.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, November 8, 2019, 10:41:13 »

So, how will Wellens’ 442 look?

Benda
Donohue Fryers Baudry Hunt
DJ Doughty Liden Iandolo
Woolery Yates

The bench will be interesting
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, November 8, 2019, 10:52:42 »

I think we will get a narrow win tomorrow - I assume they may also have a couple of changes (if they have any loanees who are not allowed to play).
They don't. Duff was in the press yesterday saying they have everyone available
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, November 8, 2019, 11:03:55 »

It's been a while since we had a big Cup away day.  Somewhere like Goodison or Villa Park would be amazing.

Hmmm    Just doing FA cup here.

A proper big one.

I can think of Leicester and Fulham as recentish interesting trips..... apart form that I might be tempted by the infamous Newcastle away.  Which is a long time ago, surely got to be something since?

I have seen Town in the FA Cup at Villa Park in front of over 50,000, with  ahuge contingenent of Town fans filling the Holte End, only it wasn't against Villa.

Answering my own question, did a decent job of forgetting Evertion away.... another piece of infamy... Culverhouse sent off after a minute, the fastest red card in FA Cup history.
« Last Edit: Friday, November 8, 2019, 11:19:57 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, November 8, 2019, 11:21:21 »

Hmmm    Just doing FA cup here.

A proper big one.

I can think of Leicester and Fulham as recentish interesting trips..... apart form that I might be tempted by the infamous Newcastle away.  Which is a long time ago, surely got to be something since?

I have seen Town in the FA Cup at Villa Park in front of over 50,000, with  ahuge contingenent of Town fans filling the Holte End, only it wasn't against Villa.

Good memories, also, of our trip to Maine Road.  I've just looked it up, and can see now that even that was in Jan 2002...so nearly 18 years ago!  Feeling very old now.  Feels like yesterday (even though it clearly wasn't.)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, November 8, 2019, 11:26:00 »

Good memories, also, of our trip to Maine Road.  I've just looked it up, and can see now that even that was in Jan 2002...so nearly 18 years ago!  Feeling very old now.  Feels like yesterday (even though it clearly wasn't.)

I now remember the Everton game, didn't go it was a Sunday, so my lad was doing an indoor football tournamnet in Faringdon.... listened to WS for about the first 2 mins, then thought fuck that and concentrated on the lads.

Were Man City top flight back then?  The last  time we won at a top flight side away was probably at Norwich in a replay under Macari, before that Newcastle game.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, November 8, 2019, 11:32:33 »

Were Man City top flight back then? 
No 2nd Division, on their way back up from the 3rd (under Keegan IIRC)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, November 8, 2019, 11:38:02 »

I now remember the Everton game, didn't go it was a Sunday, so my lad was doing an indoor football tournamnet in Faringdon.... listened to WS for about the first 2 mins, then thought fuck that and concentrated on the lads.

Were Man City top flight back then?  The last  time we won at a top flight side away was probably at Norwich in a replay under Macari, before that Newcastle game.
That Newcastle game was a great day out - despite the result. Persil were doing train tickets for vouchers off their packaging. Absolutely legless before we even arrived at Newcastle. Yates Wine Lodge followed by a few in The Strawberry and we were good to go!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, November 8, 2019, 11:51:49 »

followed by a few in The Strawberry and we were good to go!

Ahhhh, my old local!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, November 8, 2019, 12:53:56 »

That Newcastle game was a great day out - despite the result. Persil were doing train tickets for vouchers off their packaging. Absolutely legless before we even arrived at Newcastle. Yates Wine Lodge followed by a few in The Strawberry and we were good to go!

It was one of those games.... we'd won at top flight Norwich and had a strong Macari cup fighting side.  So Town travelled in numbers, I was on the football special which broke down around about n of Gloucester.  Being pre privatisation, BR found a couple of class 47's and double headed us up Newcastle, arriving about 15 minutes late.

It was a first sighting of Gazza in the flesh, and you could see staright way he was quality, the way he just brushed aside Stigger and Kammy, not easy.

The subsequent betting scandal just cemented it into legend.  Newcastle got brushed aside by Wimbledon in the next round, on that pitch you could see why.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, November 8, 2019, 13:10:55 »

It was one of those games.... we'd won at top flight Norwich and had a strong Macari cup fighting side.  So Town travelled in numbers, I was on the football special which broke down around about n of Gloucester.  Being pre privatisation, BR found a couple of class 47's and double headed us up Newcastle, arriving about 15 minutes late.

By the time we got into the ground it was about 30 mins in and the score was still 0-0.
All downhill after that.

Mirandinha, a Brazilian novelty at the time, featured for them.
Went on to manage over 20 clubs at an average of about 1 every year from '96 onwards.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: