Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FA Youth Cup 1st round  (Read 5969 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« on: Monday, October 28, 2019, 10:14:10 »

U18s are at home to Gas U18s tomorrow night in the 1st round of the FA Youth Cup. 7pm kick off at the County Ground, £3 for adults, they're asking for folks to go along and support them, go on it's only 3 quid and what else are you going to be doing on a late October Tuesday?
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 28, 2019, 19:15:40 »

U18s are at home to Gas U18s tomorrow night in the 1st round of the FA Youth Cup. 7pm kick off at the County Ground, £3 for adults, they're asking for folks to go along and support them, go on it's only 3 quid and what else are you going to be doing on a late October Tuesday?

Going to Whisky Club, 90 miles away.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 29, 2019, 09:10:01 »

Going to Whisky Club, 90 miles away.
That's probably reasonable. Be nice if a few more local could make it though, big occasion for some of these lads
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 29, 2019, 19:40:20 »

Is there a TEF reporter at the match?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 29, 2019, 19:48:39 »

1-0 up at HT
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 29, 2019, 19:54:27 »

Thanks TAFKAA  Smiley
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 29, 2019, 20:30:36 »

Losing 3-1 now. Shows why we need this training ground/HQ as only real way the quality of our academy will improve.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, October 30, 2019, 09:44:15 »

Is there a TEF reporter at the match?
The Trust were doing live updates on their Twitter feed.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, October 30, 2019, 12:24:53 »

That's probably reasonable. Be nice if a few more local could make it though, big occasion for some of these lads

It was an Islay tasting, lovely.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, October 30, 2019, 14:21:42 »

Losing 3-1 now. Shows why we need this training ground/HQ as only real way the quality of our academy will improve.

Bar some historical notion of local lads getting a chance, given the way the game has gone, I'm not sure what value the Academy provides at this level anymore, if it ever really did have one.  You just sit around waiting for the top two divisions youthful discards every pre-season.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, October 30, 2019, 15:02:31 »

Bar some historical notion of local lads getting a chance, given the way the game has gone, I'm not sure what value the Academy provides at this level anymore, if it ever really did have one.
Exeter have run their club for the past few years on the back of selling Academy products, as well as producing several to play in their first team.

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, October 30, 2019, 15:03:48 »

Bar some historical notion of local lads getting a chance, given the way the game has gone, I'm not sure what value the Academy provides at this level anymore, if it ever really did have one.  You just sit around waiting for the top two divisions youthful discards every pre-season.

Agree and it's nothing new. The vast majority don't make it and the miniscule amount that do generally don't last long in the pro game. We'll get the odd one that does well but a new facility won't make much difference if any at all.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, October 30, 2019, 15:12:54 »

Agree and it's nothing new. The vast majority don't make it and the miniscule amount that do generally don't last long in the pro game.
Thompson brothers and Jukebox all gone on to have decent careers. And even if they don't make it ultimately, they can still bring in a good return to the club as per my point re Exeter above.
We'll get the odd one that does well but a new facility won't make much difference if any at all.
Agree with this, decent players will come through irrespective of facilities on offer although it may make a difference if we're competing with other clubs to sign a promising young player. The new training ground is more of an issue for the first team than the Academy IMO
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, October 30, 2019, 15:14:43 »

Exeter have run their club for the past few years on the back of selling Academy products, as well as producing several to play in their first team.

Wasn't saying it can;t be done, just that if you were making a decision about investing, you have to have a defined return that is more than the other option of not investing.  Does it produce any more talent than taking young kids from other Academies higher up the food chain?  I am not sure it would, for Exeter, and Crewe, there are a good many others that churn out nothing of note.  Mainly because the model further up changed and they just hoover everything up.  I don't doubt you could make it work, it's more whether it's worth it from where we are now.  Even with Crewe, don;t they now have to spend quite a bit on the Academy to retain status - does it really pay off anymore?  Not sure to be honest, but if it was easy, we'd all be doing it.
Panda Paws

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, October 30, 2019, 15:18:06 »

EPPP puts paid to any great rewards for developing players. Exeter now seem to have a clear pathway to first team football can convince youngsters to stay, at least for their first year or two as a pro.

Continuing an academy is not a smart financial decision any more if you only look at cash.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: