Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sky Sports football game  (Read 5873 times)
Ticker45

Ignore
« on: Saturday, October 19, 2019, 17:44:39 »

In the pub watching the Palace v Man City game and whenever there is a halt there is a
banner that comes up “Say no to racism”. Got to ask why Sky feel this is necessary?
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 19, 2019, 17:57:49 by Ticker45 » Logged

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, October 19, 2019, 18:06:04 »

Why is it not necessary?

Yeovil’s FA Cup game was abandoned today due to racist abuse of the opposition keeper. There remains issues in this country.

Sadly awareness/education is still required

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, October 19, 2019, 18:33:36 »

In the pub watching the Palace v Man City game and whenever there is a halt there is a
banner that comes up “Say no to racism”. Got to ask why Sky feel this is necessary?
Wow...seriously??  Eek
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, October 19, 2019, 18:48:49 »

All the years I have followed the Town I cannot really recall any racist chanting, yes there have been odd songs etc. about various players indiscretions but out and out racist chants does not seem to be part of “our” support. Wonder if the coverage given to it recently makes the morons think it is OK to do the same and are those same morons going to take any real notice of something put onto tv coverage of a game?

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, October 19, 2019, 20:11:20 »

I've heard a few comments down the years from our fans, and on one occasion I saw a nazi salute. I get Ticker's point though, at least in his second post. Is the sort of person who would do these things going to stop because of a banner on the TV?

I know it's probably wrong and most won't agree, but I can't help thinking a good shoeing is the answer. Or at least the threat of one. It requires huge societal change to eliminate it completely, the best we can hope for is to make it so the repercussions put almost everyone off.
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, October 19, 2019, 22:56:33 »

Mainly for me about the next generation of fans who have just started to go to or not yet been to any matches.

The idiots who believe it's a good idea are too far gone already to help, however positively influencing future supporters can only be a good thing for the game.

Whether it'll ever be completely eradicated is another story. Platforms like Sky Sports are right to highlight the fact there's no room for racism in any circumstance not least in football.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, October 20, 2019, 06:57:55 »

Why is it not necessary?

Yeovil’s FA Cup game was abandoned today due to racist abuse of the opposition keeper. There remains issues in this country.

Sadly awareness/education is still required
It may be necessary,   but not necessary to keep ramming if down our throats,  can't see as putting it on sky will make an'appeth of difference. Most of the morons probably don't even know how to turn sky on.
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 20, 2019, 07:00:10 by swindonmaniac » Logged

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, October 20, 2019, 07:32:36 »

Mainly for me about the next generation of fans who have just started to go to or not yet been to any matches.

The idiots who believe it's a good idea are too far gone already to help, however positively influencing future supporters can only be a good thing for the game.

Whether it'll ever be completely eradicated is another story. Platforms like Sky Sports are right to highlight the fact there's no room for racism in any circumstance not least in football.
I think that's the answer right there. Sky (as do all the broadcasters) have a moral duty to do all they can to make sure public awareness is as high as it possibly can be and that this does not get swept under the carpet. Some people will get fed up with it but that's of minuscule consequence compared to the bigger issue.
Barry Scott

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, October 20, 2019, 07:33:44 »

I think it’s not necessarily about trying to convince the idiots they’re doing wrong, it could be about creating wider change by making it massively unacceptable. Look at smoking, drink driving, using your phone while driving.

I no longer do any of the above, and have done them all, but the populace’s acceptance of those things is chalk and cheese compared to that of 10 years ago.

Keep telling everyone it’s bad ans those that aren’t upset by different skin tones might gradually become empowered and want to be part of a positive change.

Perhaps then it becomes so unacceptable even the racists feel like cunts when amongst the masses. I’d wager that it’d work over time - death by a thousand cuts.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, October 20, 2019, 07:36:59 »

You expanded my point perfectly Barry  Wink
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, October 20, 2019, 08:20:35 »

All the years I have followed the Town I cannot really recall any racist chanting, yes there have been odd songs etc. about various players indiscretions but out and out racist chants does not seem to be part of “our” support. Wonder if the coverage given to it recently makes the morons think it is OK to do the same and are those same morons going to take any real notice of something put onto tv coverage of a game?

Sadly I have a different experience.  I vividly remember significant numbers of people in the Shrivvy Road stand making monkey noises when Luther Blissett came over to the touch line in a game against Bournemouth. Jon Gittens and Fitzroy Simpson were in our team that day showing the absurdity of racists who then cheer on black players from their own team.

Also remember a game away to Watford where NF literature was handed out in the away end and a minority chanted “Swindon are white, Swindon are white” (we didn’t have any black players that season).

I also remember the Bring The Noise fanzine regularly saying “to those making the monkey chants, fuck off out of our club” or words to that effect.

I definitely thought it had all gone away. But maybe it never did, it just lay dormant and now, thanks to a variety of developments and the way some media and politicians seem comfortable with dog-whistling comments, the racists are emboldened.
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #11 on: Sunday, October 20, 2019, 14:19:04 »

I think it’s not necessarily about trying to convince the idiots they’re doing wrong, it could be about creating wider change by making it massively unacceptable. Look at smoking, drink driving, using your phone while driving.

I no longer do any of the above, and have done them all, but the populace’s acceptance of those things is chalk and cheese compared to that of 10 years ago.

Keep telling everyone it’s bad ans those that aren’t upset by different skin tones might gradually become empowered and want to be part of a positive change.

Perhaps then it becomes so unacceptable even the racists feel like cunts when amongst the masses. I’d wager that it’d work over time - death by a thousand cuts.

You make a good point, but there's been anti-racism stuff at football since at least the mid-90's. Maybe it'll just take longer to affect mass change in attitude than it did with things like smoking or smacking kids. I'm not sure though.

I might have been drinking last night, however, I still think people have got to start challenging this type of behaviour head on. Most pricks like that won't do it if they think they might get called out.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, October 20, 2019, 14:57:30 »

I remember noises being made in the mid nineties when I used to sit in the Intel stand down by the bank. I saw one or two away team players getting visually upset. It was awful. 
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, October 21, 2019, 13:47:27 »

I've heard plenty of racist abuse and chanting when in the TE, usually by a small group down in the corner by the DR stand.  Anything that at least makes is Socially unacceptable to exert those types of thoughts out loud in public is goo in my mind.  It won't change those that have those thoughts today, but it will bury them and eventually the next generations will move on.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, October 21, 2019, 15:47:38 »

FWIW, most kids are growing up more aware of other cultures that surround them. Many have friends with a different colour skin tone anyway. To them, they are just another human. Most of us see it this way too. Our problem sits more with "generational inheritance" and targeted media acceptance.

No one is born racist but kids are very impressionable. It is our responsibility as adults to ensure that there isn't another generation, riddled with pockets of racism, by calling out those who continue to spew their hate. It isn't easy but if enough continue to make a stand it will dissipate. If we sit quietly and do nothing, we become part of the problem and not the solution.

As others have said, make it socially frowned upon to behave like that in public.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: