Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Out of Towners  (Read 9271 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 12:08:41 »

Calne. Quite a few town fans I know, except Dosser. Don't live there now though.
Sir Cliff Pipehard

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 15:04:57 »

I grew up in central Swindon in the 70's -80's,every cunt supported Liverpool at school and then Man U took over in the 90's.

And i'm sure their offspring support Man City now
« Last Edit: Friday, October 11, 2019, 15:06:43 by Sir Cliff Pipehard » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #17 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 15:15:39 »

Park Saaf born and bread. Now living in the land far, far away.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 15:44:06 »

Calne - left as soon as I could. Now in Somerset. I have bumped into the odd STFC supporter down here (but not Peter Venkman). The last occasion was at the county ground at Taunton. Getting to Swindon can be a bit of a caper and I have toyed with the idea of taking the kids to Yeovil or Exeter when STFC are away at far flung places. However, it struck me as a bit weird to watch another team in the same division.

Nothing to see here
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 15:45:24 »

Born and raised in the Malmesbury area, there would often be two coach loads of people on Athelstan Coaches on a match day.  One would pick up in Malmesbury and the slightly more southern villages like Seagry and the Somerfords; the other would start in Crudwell before making its way around Oaksey, Hankerton (where we got on) and on through the Minety's.  On a good day we would cycle to Minety station and catch the train to Swindon.  Left the area two years after I married and spent 14 happy yewars in Suffolk, getting to watch the Town as and when.  Moved back to Swindon 20 years ago and been a season ticket holder for many years since then.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 16:05:04 »

Derbyshire. Lived in Newbury and I probably saw/bumped into as many Town fans over the time periods.

Peak District is lovely. Most Derby fans - not so much.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 16:43:22 »

Born in Harvey Grove, Rodbourne Cheney; lived in Bedford (or Surrounding towns) for most of my life though. Never met another Swindon fan around here, did bump into one in Cambridge once when i worked there.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 21:36:46 »

Grew up in Oaksey and went to secondary school in Malmesbury. In the village there were a few generations of Town fans with some old boys who used to catch the train from Oaksey Halt (pre Beeching cuts) days, some lads who were probably a bit naughty in the 80s and then a few more of us a bit boring in late 80's/early 90s. Silver Night did the school bus and the early days of SAS Travel including a Malmesbury pick up.

In Malmesbury at school it was mostly Swindon especially with us doing well under Macari. There were a couple of City fans but they were bit further out to Sherston towards the Avon/South Glos Border. Couple of Rovers fans as well.

In those days it was always Bristol City for the rivalry especially watching HTV West and the 86/87 season climax. I would rate the 4-0 win at City in 1991 more memorable and special than wins at Oxford in the same era.

Now living in Stroud and there is still a regular group who get the train for home games despite the FGR presence. 
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 22:33:47 »

West Wilts born. Lived n Westbury between 10 and 20 after six or seven mostly army related moves.

West Wilts never felt like STFC territory. Prem and Bristol side dominated. I was one of two 100% Town fans in my year at school.

Since 2004 I've lived in Plymouth, Durham, Newcastle and Bristol and have never interacted with a Town fan although I saw a guy in a Swindon shirt once in Southville Aldi and thought that was brave!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 23:59:38 »

Calne - left as soon as I could. Now in Somerset. I have bumped into the odd STFC supporter down here (but not Peter Venkman). The last occasion was at the county ground at Taunton. Getting to Swindon can be a bit of a caper and I have toyed with the idea of taking the kids to Yeovil or Exeter when STFC are away at far flung places. However, it struck me as a bit weird to watch another team in the same division.

Born and bred Calne? I probably know you or a relation Smiley
Hitchinred

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, October 12, 2019, 07:26:22 »

Dad's family were Corsham born and bread and my cousins' all followed Swindon. Dad's work meant we were all over the place, I was born in St. Andrews, then down to Essex and back to Ayrshire at the age of 6 where I followed Ayr United in the Ally McLeod glory days and saw Swindon first at a pre season game there in 1976. Moved back to Swindon in 1977 and then on to University in London and finally to Hitchin 18 years ago. I saw one younger Swindon fan on the bus to Luton when we played there and there was someone with Scottish connections who moved here some time ago. Hitchin is predominantly Arsenal with the 25 min train journey to Finsbury Park.

Good news for out of towners travelling by rail towards London, the revamped timetable no longer has a gap between 2141 and 2229 on a Tuesday evening.

Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, October 12, 2019, 11:00:43 »

Spent the first 3 years of my life in Croydon, then persuaded my parents to move to Swindon (actually Stratton St Margaret opposite Dockle Farm which became Weatherspoons). Dad was from Swindon, and his parents and virtually all his eight brothers and sisters lived in Swindon.
Dad took me to my first games in the mid-fifties, originally sitting "on the boards" near the Stratton Bank goal.
Stayed in Swindon until 1999, when BMW took me to Munich for three years. Those three years have now become 20 and last week I got my German citizenship (only to avoid post-Brexit issues but still keeping my British).

I try to get back to see at least one game a year. My nephew's son has just started working for the club and I'll be using one of his comp tickets for the Stevenage game. I hope to meet (for the first time) my cousin Alan in the CG hotel before the game, and no doubt bump into a few mates at half time. I have an ifollow season ticket so get to see most games on the PC.

You see mostly Bayern Munich shirts etc here, with a hard core of 1860 too. For the last few years I've bought a girlfriend's son  Swindon shirts for his birthdays, with his name and age on the back. A shirt with his name on isn't so cool at 14 so I'll get him a Town hoodie this year ;-)

I know one other Town fan here, Paul J, and we watched a couple of games together in an Irish pub when Sky streamed Town matches. Another fan Anson L was here too until a couple of years ago but now he's back in Swindon.

COYR
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, October 13, 2019, 06:49:21 »

Born in Berlin. Doubt there were m(any) Town fans around, unless they were stationed there.
Then lived in Hong Kong (See above).
Holland  (See above).
Tidworth (Maybe some there, although I never knew any at the time).
 Andover (There's a few there, including my brother in law). Arborfield (None).
Borden (None).
Barnstaple (None).
Croyde (None).
Bristol (None, funny that..).
Aubagne, France (None).
Nimes, France (None).
Swindon. (Shitloads).
Bicester. (A few).
Brackley. (One that I knew of).
Chalfont st Peter. (None).
Hayes, Middx. (None).
South Petherton, Somerset. (Two! and one pox fan).
Alderholt, Fordingbridge. (Two!).
Now back in Swindon.

It's All Good..............
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, October 13, 2019, 07:17:43 »

Born in Berlin. Doubt there were m(any) Town fans around, unless they were stationed there.
Then lived in Hong Kong (See above).
Holland  (See above).
Tidworth (Maybe some there, although I never knew any at the time).
 Andover (There's a few there, including my brother in law). Arborfield (None).
Borden (None).
Barnstaple (None).
Croyde (None).
Bristol (None, funny that..).
Aubagne, France (None).
Nimes, France (None).
Swindon. (Shitloads).
Bicester. (A few).
Brackley. (One that I knew of).
Chalfont st Peter. (None).
Hayes, Middx. (None).
South Petherton, Somerset. (Two! and one pox fan).
Alderholt, Fordingbridge. (Two!).
Now back in Swindon.

Alright Judith Chalmers
cdakev

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, October 13, 2019, 12:14:21 »

I now live in Swindon but i was bought up in Faringdon and there was plenty of Town fans there.
We used to have a coach on some away matches with Faringdon, Wantage and Hanney boys on. Some of the bigger games we had separate coaches.
Other away matches we would have 4 or 5 car loads. The good old days.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: