Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Plymouth pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 35071 times)
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Saturday, October 12, 2019, 23:14:46 »

On the face of it, Woolery has all of the attributes needed to be a great striker. Unfortunately, he doesn't appear to be very good at football.

Nothing to see here
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Sunday, October 13, 2019, 07:21:50 »

I enjoyed the game yesterday. I thought a draw was a fair result - we were the better team first half, they were on top second half. We had a couple of chances second half, notably when Woolery shot past the post late on.
A terrible referee - very inconsistent eg first half they delayed 3 free kicks by standing over the ball and blocking or kicking it away,  no yellow card issued, but Baudry picks the ball up to do this second half and gets a yellow. There was also a spell where he seemed to be giving free kicks based on appeals from the crowd / players. At one point I thought a red card 2nd yellow) was likely (no specific incident, just his erratic decision making) so pleased we dodged that one.
I felt we seemed to sit very deep second half - listening to RW in the car he highlighted the number of players who were playing their first game for a while making tiredness a factor which seems a fair point. I thought Donoghue played well and looked a better defender at left back than Iandolo or Fryers. Was surprised Anderson stayed on as long as he did given he looked to have a hamstring problem early. Same with Isgrove. Thought Benda looked solid enough, and the thing which may give him an edge over LMc is that Luke doesn’t look very comfortable when the ball is at his feet, and RW wants to play out from the back. There was also one quick throw out to Isgrove which started a counter attack which I liked.
Ultimately pleased we got a point - in recent seasons, avoiding defeat when we don’t win has been a problem (Bradford last week a good example too) over the season there will be games like this where we need to take a point and move on. Promotion contenders are generally good at securing / managing the game to get a point in these situations.
Panda Paws

« Reply #242 on: Sunday, October 13, 2019, 08:02:16 »

Given all the shit we're dealing with, that was a good performance and a good result. Benda, Zakuani and Donohue look sufficient and we'll only improve with fitness. Grant is a monster and Lyden had a great game too.

We've had a really shit few weeks but fingers crossed we're through the worst and we can build again from 7th. A few weeks of consistent team selection and the fixture list easing and things will look positive again.

Only major concern, injuries aside, is what the hell is happening with Doughty. Mentality seems terrible.

Fair play to Power for allowing RW to react and bring in good short term signings too.
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 13, 2019, 09:02:30 by Panda Paws » Logged
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Sunday, October 13, 2019, 08:22:54 »

It’s almost a case of the team having to gel again and settle into a consistent first X1 selection.
Thirteen league games in and we’ve had 5 different CB combinations, 4 left backs, Grant & Lyden playing only their second game together and two key players either carrying or still recovering from muscle injury.

There is a very good team in there somewhere. We’ve all seen it.

Hopefully the Plymouth fans have recovered from the trauma of experiencing not one but two shitholes in a day. Plenty more to come in L2 and they have a lot further to travel for the pleasure and it could have done with raining a bit harder yesterday.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Sunday, October 13, 2019, 09:09:35 »

A busier than usual walk down Drove Road to be met by 7 or 8 riot vans parked on the MR. Also walked past someone lying prone on the ground with police around him. Seemingly waiting for some medical assistance. Presumably the knuckleheads had been going ‘toe to toe’ pre match.

I thought we played quite well first half, however we seemed to be held back by players dropping like flies. Anderson after his treatment was clearly not right and this hindered his performance as he was clearly carrying an injury. His replacement Doughty may as well not have bothered, poor effort and body language. An even first half ended well as Doyle finished off a lovely move with an exquisite dunk over the keeper.

Plymouth sent their team out 5 minutes early and as we sauntered out for the second half we seemed laboured with Plymouth taking charge. Zakuani did an impression of someone that hadn’t played much football recently with poor passes and clearances but got a grip of it. We looked a tired side as we sat deep, Plymouth kept composed and got the goal they deserved with a good move. We could have won had Woolery shown any finishing ability whatsoever (such a frustrating player) and Benda made a flying stop to ensure a share of the spoils.

Player wise, Doyle looks a good acquisition, probably shouldn’t be playing at this level. Yates ran his bollocks off from 0-90, Mr Doughty could take a leaf out of Mr Yates’ work ethic, feeble from Doughty. Defensively, not bad, Zakuani had some shaky moments but was ok and in Hunt and Donohue, 2 solid full backs. Grant was my MOM, a monster performance, again, probably playing a level below where he should be.

Few other things I noted:

How many times did the PA announce about the 5:40 train to Plymouth second half??
The Plymouth fan who thought it was hilarious to hold onto the ball to stop Benda taking a goal kick. They were 1-0 down and he was wasting his own teams’ tome. Silly boy.
I saw the yellow jacket meathead one of the other posters mentioned earlier. Was close to the DRS side of the Stratton Bank

Overall a draw a fair result but I think Wellens has work to do. Crewe away will be a big test, we’ll need to be better to get anything.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Sunday, October 13, 2019, 09:42:01 »

Oh and one last thing. When Plymouth were 1-0 down they made a sub, the player coming off was right next to the DRS and went to run off below us, the lino made him run all the way over the pitch to go off by the dug outs! Which goes completely against the new rule change.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
REDBUCK

« Reply #246 on: Sunday, October 13, 2019, 11:07:29 »

Good, common sense prevails. He took 30 seconds to sprint off.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Sunday, October 13, 2019, 11:41:57 »

Oh and one last thing. When Plymouth were 1-0 down they made a sub, the player coming off was right next to the DRS and went to run off below us, the lino made him run all the way over the pitch to go off by the dug outs! Which goes completely against the new rule change.
Think there have been a few issues most notably a Leeds player at Millwall I think it was so wouldn't be surprised if it has been quietly done away with.
willwalder

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Monday, October 14, 2019, 08:09:16 »

Richie Wellens in full flow (literally) here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07qxh4s
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Monday, October 14, 2019, 11:32:44 »

Whereas it's all about opinions, I don't think I've seen or heard anyone dispute that there was an overall lack of match fitness on the pitch, with Anderson and Isgrove suffering the most... and that the second half was therefore going against us from the start.

Despite the injuries, we comfortably have enough of a squad to throw on some fresh legs for any period of time. Both substitutions were clearly made far too late, and the decision to decline a third one makes no sense. Surely someone such as Rose could have done a job for 10-20 minutes?

Credit to the players for holding on and seeing the game out. But, for the second consecutive home game, I can't understand what Wellens was thinking re: subs.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: