Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Plymouth Argyle Paint Pot Mickey Mouse Cup matchday thread  (Read 24762 times)
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 11:49:46 »

Quite. I think we're all assuming he's deliberately thrown it last night, hence the performance of the 1st team regulars. If that's incorrect, there may be troublesome times ahead.

My concern from last night is that it was an opportunity to part correct the disappointing home form. In that respect the lack of effort, control and fluidity from all the players was alarming. Of the starting 11, the only 2 who have not started games before were Benda and Curran, with the former being exonerated from criticism by Wellens post match. Of the others Landolo, Doughty, Rose, Woolery, Doyle and Isgrove have all featured regularly when available, with only Reid and May clearly not being considered as first team material. It therefore wasn't exactly a reserve team that was played and I dont think players can turn it off and back on as and when they choose. We have now seen substandard performances at home to Colchester, Northampton (although unlucky to lose) and Newport in the league, together with Chelsea and Plymouth in the (admittedly pointless) cup, all leading to defeat - 5 out of 8 games, which was why yesterday was important. The vast majority of our fanbase do not attend away games, so the home form needs to improve, starting on Saturday.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 11:57:44 »

I left at half time - were we any better over the 45 mins?
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 14:59:05 »

Some of the replies on here last night were worthy of Facebook levels of meltdown. Yet consensus screams "no one gives a shit about this godforsaken excuse for a cup 'competition' at all". Why so many acting like they have as much control of their emotions as a 12 year old? Fucking hell lads, you're (mostly) grown men in your 30s, 40s & 50s.

Fuck this, I'm off to finish that bottle of absinthe.

PS: On another note, regarding Pook's age. The formulae is:

Pook Age (Pn) = Reg's Age (Rn) divided by 2.25 plus 6
Pn = Rn / 2.25 + 6

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 15:06:58 »

Some of the replies on here last night were worthy of Facebook levels of meltdown.

Huh?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 15:19:49 »

Especially reply #167  Smiley
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 15:26:41 »

Some of the replies on here last night were worthy of Facebook levels of meltdown. Yet consensus screams "no one gives a shit about this godforsaken excuse for a cup 'competition' at all". Why so many acting like they have as much control of their emotions as a 12 year old? Fucking hell lads, you're (mostly) grown men in your 30s, 40s & 50s.

Fuck this, I'm off to finish that bottle of absinthe.

PS: On another note, regarding Pook's age. The formulae is:

Pook Age (Pn) = Reg's Age (Rn) divided by 2.25 plus 6
Pn = Rn / 2.25 + 6
Fuck you, Bamboo. Fuck you!
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 15:27:59 »

Especially reply #167  Smiley

My sarcasm levels are "3 packs of Jacobs" level of dryness Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 15:28:37 »

Fuck you, Bamboo. Fuck you!

Get over it oldie  Cheesy

'Incessant Nonsense'

Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 15:31:24 »

For the first time in many years I decided not to bother going to this type of game as normally I want to see how the "fringe" players stack up. Reading through the comments of those that did bother I obviously saved a little bit of money but luckily did not witness the reported lack of ability/skill/commitment (delete as applicable) that was on show.

I am concerned as to the direction we appear to be heading in now from the early season good performances and attitudes of the players. Surely no matter what the competition is, be it this Micky Mouse one upwards, then surely as a professional footballer winning a game is quite important, the Argyle players reportedly seemed to treat it a such.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 15:37:58 »

I am concerned as to the direction we appear to be heading in now from the early season good performances and attitudes of the players. Surely no matter what the competition is, be it this Micky Mouse one upwards, then surely as a professional footballer winning a game is quite important, the Argyle players reportedly seemed to treat it a such.

Yep. The business of the GPS tracker slackers in training is a concern as well.

I made it about 100 yards from the front door then turned back in the rain.
Had a bad feeling, apart from getting soaked, so a no show like the players.
Looking forward to Saturday though.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 15:43:11 »

I see nothing wrong in calling out the performance for what is was, bizarre, bad beyond belief, whatever you want, as well as being able to sit on the hope that it was a little bit due to the complete lack of interest we had in the game.

Rose is a good example.  We've seen him be good in games, he is generally pretty consistent, a sort of 6.5/7 out of 10 player in most games.  He was on a beach last night.

Doughty - when playing in the first team, if he was seeing as little of the ball as he did last night,a dn felt the frustration of defeat, he'd be off finding someone to cynically bring down from behind.  He couldn't be bothered doing that last night.

Wellens bringing on Twine, at that moment you just knew (no offence to Twine) that he rather just get us off the pitch than worry about another minute of that game.

The team played as if they were told it was a training session, they played as if no prep had been done as a unit before the game, and lets be honest, both are probably pretty accurate.  Training will be with the weekend in mind.  I doubt Curran has been spending extra hours with Zak working on building a relationship for Saturday.

The problem with that approach, as we found, it it very quickly gets worse.  They are professional footballers after all, they don;t like getting tonked.  But when you start with no organisation, anyone trying to fix the issue starts to create even more disorganisation.  It just gets worse as the game wears on, as it did, until it reaches a complete comical state.

I have no way of knowing, but I wouldn't mind betting a re-run of the Birmingham friendly behind close doors would look a bit like last night.  If the Ref and Plymouth Manager had walked into the changing rooms and offered Wellens to call it off after 45, he'd have taken it.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 15:49:11 »

I watched that Birmingham game and you may be right in comparison, the 2nd half of that game was a huge improvement on the first.

Last night there was no discernible improvement at all. What’s happened to our high press that was noticeable in the first few games? Why do we revert to lumping it when the game isn’t going our way?

The midfield needs Doughty, irrespective of last night. Having both Grant and Lyden operating as defensive midfielders isn’t going to help getting the forwards going.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #177 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 16:06:23 »

I agree with both the previous posts, it was very similar to the Brum friendly, but as stated, that was a friendly and not a "ahem" 1st team fixture.

At least it will lul 'Muff into a false sense of security because I highly doubt we will play as badly as that all season in a league game, if they do then they need to take a long hard look at themselves and take themselves outside for a stern talking to.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 16:16:02 »

Agreed, if they play like that in the League then they will need a damn good spanking!

'Incessant Nonsense'

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 16:35:24 »

I Wellens produced a team that played like yesterday in league games, he'd join Malpas.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: