Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bradford v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 41464 times)
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Monday, October 7, 2019, 09:34:57 »

It was Gary Player
Thanks, Reg.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #301 on: Monday, October 7, 2019, 09:37:22 »

FAO PV.

Pretty good day for ex Town goalscorers on Saturday.... I make it 10.

Milner
 Luongo
 Austin
 Danny Ward
 Kaiden Jackson
 Cox
 Michael Smith
 Nouble
 Brophy
 Jervis
Yes I was going to post yesterday it was a pretty good Saturday for ex Town players, must be one of the best I can remember.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #302 on: Monday, October 7, 2019, 09:38:36 »

I don't get the call for Benda.  McCormick hasn't done a great deal wrong, yes his distribution suffers at times but he is playing in Div 4 for a reason - on out and out saves and handling he has been pretty solid.

Nobody knows anything about Benda, nobody has seen him play, for all we know he is another RCC, he might be brilliant, but why swap out the GK's when we are 4 points of top spot and the goals that we have conceded (bar one against Colchester) have not really been down to the GK.  People are calling for Benda based on absolutely nothing at all - except some people don't agree with McCormick the person, which is nothing to do with his GKing abilities.
Absolutely spot on.

I would play him tomorrow just to see what he has "in his locker" and take it from there.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Monday, October 7, 2019, 09:40:28 »

Yes I was going to post yesterday it was a pretty good Saturday for ex Town players, must be one of the best I can remember.

Think we had 14 once, but that included Conference and Scottish
Peter Venkman

« Reply #304 on: Monday, October 7, 2019, 09:47:23 »

Think we had 14 once, but that included Conference and Scottish
They are permissible!

One day when I am bored I will work out actually how many ex Town players played on a Saturday, I am currently not that bored!

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Monday, October 7, 2019, 10:05:31 »

I don't get the call for Benda.  McCormick hasn't done a great deal wrong, yes his distribution suffers at times but he is playing in Div 4 for a reason - on out and out saves and handling he has been pretty solid.

Nobody knows anything about Benda, nobody has seen him play, for all we know he is another RCC, he might be brilliant, but why swap out the GK's when we are 4 points of top spot and the goals that we have conceded (bar one against Colchester) have not really been down to the GK.  People are calling for Benda based on absolutely nothing at all - except some people don't agree with McCormick the person, which is nothing to do with his GKing abilities.

I get what you are saying but he's made 2 or 3 mistakes that have cost goals this season and I include Saturday in that as that 1st should not be going back into the danger zone. Any other player that has cost us like that gets dropped and the Awww should apply here, if Benda isn't real competition then there wasn't much point in signing him. Power said Wellens had had his eye on Benda for a while so by that we must assume he has something about him.
Last season before he made it clear he was leaving Wellens always picked Vigs no matter what and a big reason for that was the distribution side.
It's just my opinion but I think McCormicks distribution is poor, he's not a modern ball playing or sweeper keeper and I feel that impacts our rhythm especially when he spends a whole game smashing it long, it's clearly not the game plan as you always see Hunt and Wellens shouting at him to look short.
Flashheart

« Reply #306 on: Monday, October 7, 2019, 10:09:18 »

The long clearances are frustrating. It is clearly not how this team was built to play and the ball just ends up coming back to us.

Whether or not Benda is a better option, however, only time will tell. If he gets to play.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #307 on: Monday, October 7, 2019, 10:10:14 »

I would blame Fryers more for the first goal for not reacting quick enough to the rebound.

LMc made the first save and then the defenders should have had the chance to clear it, Fryers started between the scorer and the goal but somehow totally lost his man and was nowhere near him when he scored.

Thats a definate minus point for Fryers and not LMc IMO.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #308 on: Monday, October 7, 2019, 10:14:16 »

As for LMc's distibution, he was off on Saturday a bit but last week vs Newport he was easily our best attacking outlet from the back.

Hes a L2 keeper, his long kicking is at least as good as Vigs and doesn't try dribbling the ball around attackers as they close in on him which used to frustrate me hugely with Vigs.

As FH says lets see Benda in action before there is any knee jerk reaction. For me LMc has been pretty solid for us.

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Monday, October 7, 2019, 10:50:52 »

I would blame Fryers more for the first goal for not reacting quick enough to the rebound.

LMc made the first save and then the defenders should have had the chance to clear it, Fryers started between the scorer and the goal but somehow totally lost his man and was nowhere near him when he scored.

Thats a definate minus point for Fryers and not LMc IMO.
Gotta disagree, it's pretty much rule 1 of goalkeeping don't push the ball back into the danger zone. It wasn't a particularly hard first save as he was pretty much able to stay on his so he should be pushing that out wide. Benda may or not be the answer but hopefully with the experience of the Wall and Baudry alongside each other Wellens may see it as less of a risk to throw in an inexperienced keeper. There's a lot more to goalkeeping than just shot stopping now especially with the change to the goal kick law and what not.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Monday, October 7, 2019, 10:58:38 »

Don't worry guys, I'll be back Saturday to turn the tide of defeats  Smiley
Peter Venkman

« Reply #311 on: Monday, October 7, 2019, 11:07:23 »

It is very easy to see fault in players you don't think are good enough, I can be like that with Iandolo at times but I always praise him when he does something well.

LMc still made the initial save and Fryers SHOULD have got to the rebound first from his starting position (I think he may have trying pushing out for offside looking at it again), which with a block then this particular discussion would be pointless.

LMc also made a decent save in the first half to keep the score at 0-0. Yes it wasn't a great save but many keeper at this level fail to save much, they are playing in L2 for a reason after all.

All I could honestly fault LMc for, and this is my opinion is his lack of command of his area, he doesn't always come for, or catch crosses.

Peter Shilton became a world great keeper without ever claiming crosses, he left them for the CB's to clear but we don't have that luxury of having a pair of solid centre backs that can cope with that.

I want to see what Benda is like with all of that though before I can honestly say which is the better keeper.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #312 on: Monday, October 7, 2019, 11:27:49 »

And from the Bradford fans perspective, my God they must have seen some fucking shite games this year if thats the best they have played in ages, I thought they were very average at best, we just had (another) bad off day.

Best performance of the season by some distance.

a bit more ruthless and we’d have won by more.

Best overall team performance ive seen for a long time.

Played well today. Probably the best and most controlled performance of the season. Totally dominated a decent team for the full 90 minutes and should have won more comfortably if we had been a bit more clinical with our final ball/cross and hadn’t switched off to gift them a goal.

Most complete performance of the season for me today. Formation switching between 433 and 4231 worked a treat - we dominated the ball at times and their midfield didn't have a sniff.

Swindon were absolute dog shit by the way, was expecting a much harder game but it was a comfortable win and the game would've been done by HT if the crossing was better.

Biggest homer ref I've seen for ages but it's about time given the absolute stinkers we have every week.

Really enjoyable match everyone had a decent game today the effort put in was immense. We made Swindon look very average.

it was a good performance and the system worked well against a decent side.

Very pleased with the result. I was "disappointed" with Swindon, well not really, but I thought they did themselves no favours. Lots of fouls and when they were losing right at the end they wanted to shoot themselves in the foot by giving away even more unnecessary fouls, eating into the time.
Woolery should have been booked for a shocking dive in the first half.

we were better second half and could have won by a bigger margin.

Swindon are a good team at this level, but we totally nullified them and made them look poor.

We controlled the game and Swindon just looked ordinary.

Well that was one of the best matches l have seen at VP for a very long time. A lot of intensity to the game, the referee playing a part, some lovely moves and a great atmosphere.

against a poor overhyped Swindon side

One thing yesterday highlighted more than ever is how bloody poor this league really is.

People being scared of Swindon and saying a draw at home would be a good result need to face the wall and have a word with themselves.

Panda Paws

« Reply #313 on: Monday, October 7, 2019, 11:31:23 »

I don't get the call for Benda.  McCormick hasn't done a great deal wrong, yes his distribution suffers at times but he is playing in Div 4 for a reason - on out and out saves and handling he has been pretty solid.

Nobody knows anything about Benda, nobody has seen him play, for all we know he is another RCC, he might be brilliant, but why swap out the GK's when we are 4 points of top spot and the goals that we have conceded (bar one against Colchester) have not really been down to the GK.  People are calling for Benda based on absolutely nothing at all - except some people don't agree with McCormick the person, which is nothing to do with his GKing abilities.

Incremental improvement. None of us have seen Benda, but our staff see him every day and there's no way we have bought him in to warm the bench.

Judging a GK isn't just a count of goals he may or may not have cost us. It's fine margins - better distribution, stronger in the air, less keen to parry to opposition strikers... we don't know if Benda has those skills but the staff do. Marginal improvement in just one of those areas is going to impact us positively.

We could have said the same under PdC and Phil Smith in goal. We didn't. We went out and got a young and untested GK in Wes and it changed our season.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Monday, October 7, 2019, 11:32:27 »

I still maintain our dip in form is down to the mentality side of the game.

We are a ‘confidence’ side - thriving on the one touch, quick passing game. But when it doesn’t really come off in a game the players are fragile and you can see the hesitancy in attempting the things that worked previously. This side not playing ‘Wellens’ Way’ are very poor and easy pickings for the likes of Newport.

We haven’t got the nasty, niggly side to our game that can still pick up points when not playing particularly well.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: