Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Newport pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 44943 times)
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 18:53:37 »

We tried to play them at their own game which was a mental idea. Should have been looking to outplay them on the deck. To do that we needed Doughty to start, let alone come on ahead of May.

I thought James Dunne had gone in the summer. But he seems to have a smarter haircut and changed his name to May. Still wearing number 8 which at least provides continuity

Isgrove (how did he miss though?!) and Grant excellent. Front two never able to compete off long balls. Rest mediocre playing the wrong style/system
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 18:59:23 »

Haven't read back..

When the school bully who is twice the size as you says he will kick the fuck out of you at 4pm you have three options, you run, you talk you're way out of it, you put coins in your knuckles, show up and and smack the fucker first.....and then see what happens.

We tried to talk our way out of it... and got smacked to fuck.

Newport (unlike Colchester) play like this week in, week out.....why oh why were we not prepared?!

You fight fire with fire....why were not hard challenges going in!? Why was the fucking inept ref asked, why he wasn't in charge?! At every dive and every late challenge!?

We deserved all we got....fuck all...

Horrible, nasty, non football side and we played into their arms hook line and sinker.

Of the three defeats, this has fucked me off the most...shows Wellens short comings....and you can fuck off with the open goal...we would of lost 2:1 anyway.
Very well put. There's areas we've been very unlucky - losing our 3 first choice CBs in a matter of weeks is very bad luck and it clearly caused us a problem today, not just losing Conroy but losing Grant from CM. If Isgrove buries his one v one instead of trying to be a clever dick, then it's a different game. Not counting the ref's poor decisions as bad luck because he was pretty much a bog standard League 2 ref, that's what you get and you have to plan for that.

But then there's the bits where we make our own problems in the way we set up - as Flash alluded to above. It looks like we set out to "play our football" irrespective of the opposition. Which is admirable and all that but we're not Man City. Sometimes we need to look at the opposition and work out how we're going to beat them. That's twice now we've been found out by this kind of side (not counting Northampton because that was just so ridiculous) playing effective anti-football and plenty of others will look to do the same in this league. We need to come up with a way of beating that kind of side, because there's plenty of them in this division. We looked better when Doughty came on, so why wasn't that change made earlier? Don't even want to talk about the final sub

And on the positive side, once we have Baudry and Anderson back, we know we have a decent side. Hope Conroy isn't as bad as feared
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 19:14:15 by pauld » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #287 on: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 19:23:13 »

We were crap, beaten tactically and in terms of individual performances. We seem to struggle against physical opposition that are good at closing us down and we are going to lose more games like that this season.

Overall this season, though, we've been rather good. We are just 2 points adrift from the top and 1 point adrift from an auto spot. Not all teams in this league are as physical or dirty as Newport and, of those that are, not many will be as effective at it. We will win more than we lose, and somebody is going to get a hiding from us sooner or later.

We go again (yes, I went there). The league is decided on our points tally overall, not the points tally of one match. Bradford next, and we're playing away! It is not beyond the realms of reality that we go top, ya know?
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 20:02:09 »

We go again (yes, I went there). The league is decided on our points tally overall, not the points tally of one match. Bradford next, and we're playing away! It is not beyond the realms of reality that we go top, ya know?

Yes you fucking did!

Hear fucking hear, no need for alarms bells yet. Our away form is brilliant. Our home form has got better from shocking in previous to average under RW. This was always going to be a shithouse game. We are essentially a L1 side trying to play our way out of L2 with L1 football. Unfortunately, sometimes we gotta get down and dirty with the shithouses of L2.

I actually think Newport will slip out of autos and finish in the POs. We are good enough for Top 3. Of course th final season total will tell us the actuality of that. Too many imponderables at this moment  Hmmm

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 20:06:06 »

Our home form needs addressing, 50% defeats and conceding 1.5 goals per game.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 20:24:40 »

Apart from those suggesting, just a few weeks ago, that every game would yield 3 points, most supporters will be delighted with the current league position and will be mature enough to realise that there will be some 'bumps in the road'.

Nothing to see here
dogs

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 20:45:23 »

We're 2 players off from autos, that's evident. One experienced shithouse at the back and a big lump or solid lower league target man.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 22:07:05 »

One positive is that we don't get to hear the Newport players girly screeching again, as they hit the deck after phantom contact, not until the return fixture anyway.

They do what they do very well. It works for them. Good luck with it.

The solution to the home form is for RW to stick to his principles.
He'll make mistakes, but will learn. The team can get better.
It's still a good start to the season.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Sunday, September 29, 2019, 07:16:32 »

We're 2 players off from autos, that's evident. One experienced shithouse at the back and a big lump or solid lower league target man.
Not sure we need a target man, that is obviously not our style of play.

Would much prefer a proper left sided midfielder that means we aren’t completely reliant on Isgrove to create chances
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Sunday, September 29, 2019, 07:42:35 »

For me, the worrying thing is in those 3 home defeats they were all to ‘nil’. Not only are we getting outmuscled, we’re hardly creating a chance either.

It is also difficult to attract many more fans as they turn up on the back of a great away display to witness some poor stuff.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Sunday, September 29, 2019, 08:42:07 »

Yates and Doyle don’t work as a duo - which sounds stupid - but they make the exact same runs and don’t play off each other, and if they don’t get any help from midfield are very easy to defend against

Adam May needs to be sent back to Pompey reserves where he belongs (and that’s probably too high a level)

I have no idea what Wellens fascination is with persisting with two central midfielders standing on the centre backs toes while we’re trying to get back into the game. It’s so easy to defend against

Men against boys stuff yesterday. I’ve said it before, lack of a Plan B will be our downfall this season

Things get better but they never get good
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Sunday, September 29, 2019, 09:01:23 »

Devastating for Conroy if it is his ACL again. I can’t think of any players that have had that twice and played again - I’m sure there are some, but probably not many. That could be it for him. Fingers crossed it is not that, and we see him back again.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Sunday, September 29, 2019, 09:47:17 »

Didnt bother looking at TE last night, too pissed off!  My one concern was what the fuck was Wellens thinking with his substitutions, we are only one down and he completely rejigged his back four whch meant Iandolo was playing centre back - with two centre backs on the bench!!  Second goal came from that rejigging, players still trying to work out who they should be marking.  Thought Grant was immense yesterday, he didn't deserve to be in a losing side.  Just out thought, out played and out muscled all over the pitch.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Sunday, September 29, 2019, 11:17:20 »

Yates and Doyle don’t work as a duo - which sounds stupid - but they make the exact same runs and don’t play off each other, and if they don’t get any help from midfield are very easy to defend against

Adam May needs to be sent back to Pompey reserves where he belongs (and that’s probably too high a level)

I have no idea what Wellens fascination is with persisting with two central midfielders standing on the centre backs toes while we’re trying to get back into the game. It’s so easy to defend against

Men against boys stuff yesterday. I’ve said it before, lack of a Plan B will be our downfall this season

Agree with most of that but don’t buy the Plan B stuff. There is no team in the world with an effective plan B. The cure is to improve plan A or actually play to it in the first place - which we didn’t yesterday - or grind it out whilst retaining your core principles of play - as we did v Cambridge a week ago.
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 29, 2019, 11:19:15 by Boeta » Logged
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Sunday, September 29, 2019, 11:34:50 »

Looking at Newport ‘s results to date, they are a good bet for the title. Done well in all games against other top sides. Don’t be fooled by their lack of attractiveness. Lincoln won no prizes in that department last term. We’re still likely to win more than we lose but would be a nervy play off against anyone physical.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: