Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Newport pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 44973 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #30 on: Thursday, September 26, 2019, 12:45:24 »

Newport started the season well and until 3 games ago were on an unbeaten run of 17 league matches (not including play offs) 10 games last season and 7 this season, since then they lost 2-0 at Northampton and drew the next 2 matches away at Macc and home to Exeter making it 2 points from the last 9 possible.

Including their play off games their run of results has been WWDDWWDWWDDDL DDWDWWLDD A run of 9 wins, 11 draws and 2 defeats scoring just 21 times and conceding just 11 goals.

Their leading scorer is Poddy Amond on 5 goals and Abrahams on 2. Amond has so far only scored 2 goals against Town in his previous 7 matches despite being Newports top scorer for the last 3 season now.

Amond was their leading scorer last season with just 14 league goal (23 in all games) and Matt with 14 goals (20 in all) the next highest scorer was Demetriou with just 4 goals.

Last season they scored the least amount of goals in the top 18 teams of L2 and conceded the most goals in the top 14 teams.

So far this term they have w4 d5 l1 f9 a6 and sit in 7th place3 points behind Swindon who have scored and conceded almost exactly double the goals they have so far with Newports last 5 games being WWLDD and Swindon WWWLW.

Newport have only won at the CG once since 1955, that win coming 2 years ago a 1-0 defeat in November 2017 a run of 1 win in 15 matches for them with Swindon winning 3 of the last 4 matchesbetween clubs at the CG.

Swindon have had some easy wins in the past vs Newport with a 8-0, 7-1, 6-1, 5-1, 5-2, 5-2 and a couple of 4-0 wins over the years, Town scoring 107 goals and conceding 43 in the 46 previous home games against them.

In total homes games vs County Swindon have won 26 of the 43 games played and Newport only 5 wins at the CG.

A lot of Town fans over the age of 50 have bad memories of Newport after they were the team that finally put a nail in our coffin for relegation in 1981/82 in the away game when a single goal relegated us to Div 4 for the first time ever in our history. Followed my some of the worst football violence I have ever witnessed at a Town match.

Newport currently have no ex Swindon players on their books but Swindon have Danny Rose who played almost 150 games for them and Tyler Reid who played 7 times for them last season and just 3 times for Town so far.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #31 on: Thursday, September 26, 2019, 12:54:58 »

First game in absolutely ages for me. I'm hoping for the least successful Welsh invasion since Owain Glyndwr got stuck up a hill.

2-1 County.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, September 26, 2019, 16:02:03 »

They're a good side.  Right now I'll take a draw, but it's on a Saturday, not Tuesday, so let's get the win.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, September 26, 2019, 19:18:52 »

First game in absolutely ages for me. I'm hoping for the least successful Welsh invasion since Owain Glyndwr got stuck up a hill.

2-1 County.

Who will be our Prince Hal? Can't see it being Will Henry. Who else is there? Could Eoin be the undoing for Owain? How about Henry V's predecessor, Richard...

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, September 26, 2019, 21:00:40 »

4-2

Peaky Blinders Lewendowski (2)
5 ft Jesus to open his account
Yet another from the Beautiful Ginger Sex Symbol

Hopefully the Shithouse Neymar will be good to go  Cool
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, September 26, 2019, 22:39:43 »

Tough side to play, they have a plan and stick to it from what I see. Hard to call as we'll both be near the top end. 1-0 either way. Although i expect us to get the 1
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #36 on: Friday, September 27, 2019, 08:18:25 »

Tough side to play, they have a plan and stick to it from what I see.
Thats one way of putting it!

Reliant on set peices with free kicks, corners and throw ins being launched into the 6 yard box.

They like to get into opponents faces and harrass and harry opposition players all over the pitch, the don't mind chasing players down and battling for everything, they also don't keep possession and are happy to let teams have a lot of the ball. In fact they have only had the better possession figures once so far this season and against Crewe and Plymouth their keeping of the ball was well under 40% for the whole game yet still won both games 1-0 with late goals.

They are a niggly side who try and provoke opposition players into fouls and off the ball nastiness, and a few over the top challenges. Exeter fans on Saturday were surprised to see the provoking of the Exeter players, Newports physicality and their style of play and gamesmanship for a team so high in the table apparently.

I know some of our players have short fuses so lets hope they arent dragged into a battle of niggly fouls, something Grant, Rose and Doughty have all been a bit guilty of and they keep their heads as Newport chase us while we have high possession, let them chase us and dont give away too many chances with dead ball situations.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Friday, September 27, 2019, 11:35:53 »

As a reminder, if we win this game, we'll have at least matched or bettered every play off and automatic promotion season form over the first 11 games since 1995/96.

2-1, nail biter, two-up with a strong start, they grab one back with 20 to go and it all turns a bit Dam Busters.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Friday, September 27, 2019, 11:55:42 »

As a reminder, if we win this game, we'll have at least matched or bettered every play off and automatic promotion season form over the first 11 games since 1995/96.

2-1, nail biter, two-up with a strong start, they grab one back with 20 to go and it all turns a bit Dam Busters.

It's worth noting that reaching the PO's and not going on to win them represents failure, something we've managed 4 times in your time frame. We really don't won't to be messing around with Div 4 PO's. 

So in the 2 auto seasons at the same stage we were 2 points better off in 06/07 and 5 points worse off in PdC's season.

However in that season by this time we were on the way to stellar home form. Oct 8th we drew 3-3 with Hereford at the CG and then conceded 1 goal in the final 17 home games.

Tomorrow is a massive game, it's highly unlikely that you can mount an auto campaign on the back of away form alone, and 2 defeats in 5 games shows the home form  isn't yet quite fixed... we need to win. This is a proper test.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Friday, September 27, 2019, 12:14:51 »

This is a proper test.

Wot, another one? I'd hate to be in your Alpine expedition team.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, September 27, 2019, 12:20:21 »

Wot, another one?

Probably only if we fail to win
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, September 27, 2019, 13:06:02 »

Cheesy

The gift that keeps on giving.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Friday, September 27, 2019, 13:07:18 »

It's worth noting that reaching the PO's and not going on to win them represents failure, something we've managed 4 times in your time frame. We really don't won't to be messing around with Div 4 PO's.  

So in the 2 auto seasons at the same stage we were 2 points better off in 06/07 and 5 points worse off in PdC's season.

However in that season by this time we were on the way to stellar home form. Oct 8th we drew 3-3 with Hereford at the CG and then conceded 1 goal in the final 17 home games.

Tomorrow is a massive game, it's highly unlikely that you can mount an auto campaign on the back of away form alone, and 2 defeats in 5 games shows the home form  isn't yet quite fixed... we need to win. This is a proper test.

I am going to assume that form in the first 11 games does not influence form in the Play Offs, if that was where we ended, merely that form after 11 games probably has an influence over your chances of where you finish the season.

I also started by saying IF we win this game we'd match the form, not that we were there already.  in 2006/07 we were won 7, drawn 1, lost 2 at this point and then we drew the 11th game.  We then went on to win 2, draw 2 and lose 2 of the next 6, so we could very easily better that form.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Friday, September 27, 2019, 13:11:37 »

I am going to assume that form in the first 11 games does not influence form in the Play Offs, if that was where we ended, merely that form after 11 games probably has an influence over your chances of where you finish the season.

I also started by saying IF we win this game we'd match the form, not that we were there already.  in 2006/07 we were won 7, drawn 1, lost 2 at this point and then we drew the 11th game.  We then went on to win 2, draw 2 and lose 2 of the next 6, so we could very easily better that form.
Ah but you're forgetting that one season in the 80s when we went down on 52 points #areWeSafeYet
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, September 27, 2019, 13:15:35 »

I also started by saying IF we win this game we'd match the form, not that we were there already.  in 2006/07 we were won 7, drawn 1, lost 2 at this point and then we drew the 11th game.  We then went on to win 2, draw 2 and lose 2 of the next 6, so we could very easily better that form.

I'm just saying we don't want to consider PO's as some success... it's failure, unless you win them and we know from the last 4 it's a bit of lottery, that I'd rather not go near.

Therefore we need to be looking at what is requred for autos, so far the signs are OK.... but it's early doors and you can't afford too many slip ups over a season. I think an auto team wins tomorrow.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: