Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Newport pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 45495 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 16:29:50 »

A good test then, but sadly we failed it. Not quite terminal, but it's not looking good. We're just too easy to beat at home, this has been the problem for 3 or 4 years and Wellens hasn't yet addressed it. OK some mitigation with injuries, but it's a bizarre situation when you start the season with 5/6 centre halves and end up with none.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 16:31:31 »

Possible ACL rupture for Conroy apparently
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #272 on: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 16:33:11 »

Possible ACL rupture for Conroy apparently
He did look in a lot of pain when he went off, sat in tears so he knew it was bad, especially after coming back from the same injury last year.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
REDBUCK

« Reply #273 on: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 16:33:29 »

A good test then, but sadly we failed it. Not quite terminal, but it's not looking good. We're just too easy to beat at home, this has been the problem for 3 or 4 years and Wellens hasn't yet addressed it. OK some mitigation with injuries, but it's a bizarre situation when you start the season with 5/6 centre halves and end up with none.

He's back, yipee
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 16:34:21 »

He’s not wrong

Things get better but they never get good
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 16:35:46 »

Lame excuse!

I was nearby looking at cars. I could hear the crowd singing "you don't know what you're doing "  Smiley
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 16:39:36 »

I was nearby looking at cars. I could hear the crowd singing "you don't know what you're doing "  Smiley

Which you clearly didn't, coming into Swindon on a Saturday against specific instructions to the contrary.  Angry

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 16:41:50 »

Poor first half, better in the 2nd although still had trouble  getting through Newport's defence. The ref was a fucking joke. He didn't cost us the game but it was a performance of gross incompetence. Fair play (sic) to Newport, they had a game plan and stuck to it.

It's All Good..............
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 16:43:54 »

Good points:

- When I labelled Grant a 'pointless signing', I clearly meant a great signing. The guy is solid, and performed brilliantly.
- Iandolo deserves his place in the team.
- For 15 minutes we looked OK when passing it around.

Bad points:
- Hoofed it too long anainst a strong and pysical team
- Front 2 did not much all game. Isgrove hit and miss (and that shot), and Woolery did nothing meaning we didn't create much.
- The ref was on the wrong side of 'let the game flow'. Incompetent and weak.
- What's the point of the 2 CBs on the bench if neither are going to play when we need a CB? Not overly keen on May.

Massively bad points:
- Conroy

Look, its not a disaster in terms of result. It happens (too much at home). But the obvious worry is how the hell we solve the long term central defence question. Any free agents of league 2 quality around?
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 17:02:17 »

I sort of understand the Broadbent situation - If indeed the speculation about trying to get him back in form is to put him on the bench and bring him on for the last few mins when there is no pressure. But, Curran is there as well. Was he not an option during some part of the game?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 17:47:16 »

Just come back from the pub. A couple of friends who have only been twice came in earlier and the opinion "well that was sh*t".

Cannot really argue with their premise, we were undone by a team that closed us down quickly, were not interested in playing any type of football as we have seen from the Town this season but played to their strengths of physicality all over the park aided and abetted by a very inept referee and his assistants and we did not rally look like breaking them down.

A bit concerned about RW's rejigging of the team when Conroy went off as it beggars belief that there are two players on the bench that could slot into a back four but instead he put on May as opposed to Doughty and moved Grant from his best position into the defence. Chasing the game late on he then went with a back three that held Iandolo back whereas he had been pretty good in the pushing forward role and that move almost immediately conceded their second.

Early days, but all a little concerning, need some defensive cover from somewhere and wonder whether there are any out of work centre halves kicking about that could be of assistance?

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 18:24:16 »

Haven't read back..

When the school bully who is twice the size as you says he will kick the fuck out of you at 4pm you have three options, you run, you talk you're way out of it, you put coins in your knuckles, show up and and smack the fucker first.....and then see what happens.

We tried to talk our way out of it... and got smacked to fuck.

Newport (unlike Colchester) play like this week in, week out.....why oh why were we not prepared?!

You fight fire with fire....why were not hard challenges going in!? Why was the fucking inept ref asked, why he wasn't in charge?! At every dive and every late challenge!?

We deserved all we got....fuck all...

Horrible, nasty, non football side and we played into their arms hook line and sinker.

Of the three defeats, this has fucked me off the most...shows Wellens short comings....and you can fuck off with the open goal...we would of lost 2:1 anyway.

Clems Army!
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 18:29:40 »

Just waiting for someone to use that shitty phrase "we go again"

Nothing to see here
woolster

« Reply #283 on: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 18:33:09 »

Haven't read back..

When the school bully who is twice the size as you says he will kick the fuck out of you at 4pm you have three options, you run, you talk you're way out of it, you put coins in your knuckles, show up and and smack the fucker first.....and then see what happens.

We tried to talk our way out of it... and got smacked to fuck.

Newport (unlike Colchester) play like this week in, week out.....why oh why were we not prepared?!

You fight fire with fire....why were not hard challenges going in!? Why was the fucking inept ref asked, why he wasn't in charge?! At every dive and every late challenge!?

We deserved all we got....fuck all...

Horrible, nasty, non football side and we played into their arms hook line and sinker.

Of the three defeats, this has fucked me off the most...shows Wellens short comings....and you can fuck off with the open goal...we would of lost 2:1 anyway.

beautifully fucking illustrated Pint Pint
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 18:34:37 »

He’s not wrong

We've lost 50% of the first 6 home games, you can only find 2 worse seasons of losing > 50%, since I started in 62/63. The Prem season and the Admin season of 99/00.... certainly it's a long way from looking like an auto outfit.

The one saving grace is the Wise/Sturrock season when getting the final auto place we lost 4 home games, 2 of which were between managers. So we probably have already got very little wriggle room. It's more that we look just too beatable for any half decent Div 4 functional outfit.  Of course a PO spot FWIW is achievable by fairly average sides in Div 4
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: