Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cambridge Utd v Swindon Town pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 43174 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Saturday, September 21, 2019, 21:51:39 »

Outrageous dribble from Iandolo

Just seen that. I agree 100%
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Saturday, September 21, 2019, 21:52:13 »

yeah was pretty good. As was the save from Luke Mc

Agree with that too.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Sunday, September 22, 2019, 10:26:42 »

Fun day out, notwithstanding the lack of pubs.

Struggled to tear myself away from the bar behind the away end so only watched the last 30 mins.  Thought the town looked pretty comfortable but lacked the killer edge to finish the game off.

I'm pretty positive for the season.  I'm sure there aren't 7 better teams than us and an auto place looks perfectly possible.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Sunday, September 22, 2019, 10:40:34 »

Only nearby pub, The Wrestlers,  was closed so made do with the home supporters bar pre match. Entered the busy away end to enjoy the sun 2 pints up: happier still when 1 goal up. 2nd half showed signs of a promotion season. Grant may well be more key than Isgrove ultimately. Lacked the pizzazz of the Leyton performance but definitely an indicator of real potential this year. Injuries/ complications over loanees may hinder us at some stage but we’re in with a chance. Only one bad league defeat so far and worth noting that we’ve held 2 of the current top 3 away from home. So happy for the long suffering Town faithful at the moment.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Sunday, September 22, 2019, 10:56:28 »

History tells us we will, at least, make the play-offs.

https://twitter.com/talkinghawes/status/1175715314329444352?s=20
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 22, 2019, 10:59:47 by Exiled Bob » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Sunday, September 22, 2019, 10:58:22 »

10 games in is where you can realistically start to make an informed assessment.

20 points of out 30, the better team in 9 out of those 10 games.

Very encouraging, we will be in right in the mix for the top 3

It's been mentioned before that at this sort of stage in the season most teams will be around + or -3 places at season's end.  However there are always 2 or 3 who rise or drop spectacularly.

81/82 is a season which still wakes some of us up in the night in a cold sweat.  After 10 we were top with the same W6 D2 L2 as now but a stonking goal difference of +11 and were the Divs leading scorer.   A team which seemed a blend of youth and experience had just stuffed Rovers at Eastville then went to Fellows Park on a Tuesday night. Fellows Park was a ground where we tended not to do well, but this was a classic, played very well and lost 5-0, to much head scratching.

Never really recovered and got relegated. We even managed 52 points which is usually more than enough in a 4 down div.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Sunday, September 22, 2019, 11:19:37 »

Grant in his 3 games has done about 10 times what Toums has done in his. (how ever many he played)

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #217 on: Sunday, September 22, 2019, 11:29:32 »

Grant in his 3 games has done about 10 times what Toums has done in his. (how ever many he played)
TBF you could say that about so many Town midfielders who played a lot more games for us, McCourt, Toums, Rodgers, Dunne, Goddard, Thomas, Smith, Murray, Traore, Balmy and thats just the last 4 seasons or so!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Sunday, September 22, 2019, 11:37:55 »

Looking at that lot it’s no wonder weve achieved fuck all recently
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Sunday, September 22, 2019, 12:04:50 »

A very pleasing result - good to come back from Tuesday with a win. Averaging 2 points a game after 10 is a good sign.
Also, as others have said, these narrow (1-0) wins will prove to be vital come the end of the season. I recall the 1969 promotion team had a run of 5 or 6 1-0 home wins in the spring, with most of the goals in those coming from Peter Noble.
It’s the sign of a good team to be able to grind these out on days when we are not at our absolute best.
Another 1-0 win against Newport on Saturday would be good!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Sunday, September 22, 2019, 13:46:21 »

It's been mentioned before that at this sort of stage in the season most teams will be around + or -3 places at season's end.  However there are always 2 or 3 who rise or drop spectacularly.

81/82 is a season which still wakes some of us up in the night in a cold sweat.  After 10 we were top with the same W6 D2 L2 as now but a stonking goal difference of +11 and were the Divs leading scorer.   A team which seemed a blend of youth and experience had just stuffed Rovers at Eastville then went to Fellows Park on a Tuesday night. Fellows Park was a ground where we tended not to do well, but this was a classic, played very well and lost 5-0, to much head scratching.

Never really recovered and got relegated. We even managed 52 points which is usually more than enough in a 4 down div.
So you're still just praying we can stay up then? Best not to get too carried away
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Sunday, September 22, 2019, 13:58:35 »

So you're still just praying we can stay up then? Best not to get too carried away

No as ever, I point out a fact associated with the taking a view of the 10 games in mark as being a predictor.  Where our present rate coincidentally happens to be the exact same W D L as 81/82.

I'm long past expecting a grown up response from you, it's almost like you've no actual interest in the football beyond petty abuse.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Sunday, September 22, 2019, 13:59:35 »

No as ever, I point out a fact associated with the taking a view of the 10 games in mark as being a predictor.  Where our present rate coincidentally happens to be the exact same W D L as 81/82.

I'm long past expecting a grown up response from you, it's almost like you've no actual interest in the football beyond petty abuse.
I was taking the piss. Toys back in the pram now
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Sunday, September 22, 2019, 15:13:35 »

I was taking the piss. Toys back in the pram now

Here's the classic 10th game 4-1 at Eastville.... proper 80's football.

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19820110

Rovers fans were out in the streets, armed with CB radios, which became legal in 81 having been used illegally up til then.

Sexy stuff, idiot yokels telling each other where the Swindon fans were. Although in those days there was a code that you only engaged with like minded types, of which we had plenty.

That was my last trip to Eastville, I do still get a pang of regret when passing the site now IKEA on the M32
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Sunday, September 22, 2019, 15:22:52 »

80's pitches as well, pretty churned up for an October game

Sent from my HTC U11
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: