Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Colchester pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 53569 times)
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 09:58:15 »

Listening to the Callum Kennedy Loathed Strangers interview, Di Canio told the players would struggle early season with the amount of running they were doing in training but they would come good.

He did have the luxury of no transfer window for short term loans so was able to chop and change players regularly.

Di Canio also pulled out some statistics about how lower league teams struggle with back to back home games Saturday to Tuesday and it's rare to pick up the six points everyone expects.

It does seem to be a feature of Swindon sides over recent years to flop on Tuesday nights at home especially when doubling up with a Saturday.

Given the turnover of managers and players it can't just be down to one type of playing style. We did the same under Flitcroft, Cooper/Williams, Brown and now Wellens.

I think it's a combination of the mental approach and physical tiredness. Whatever the talk of complacency and not getting carried away, the good teams are those that can actually clear down the last game and raise their levels.

We looked physically tired on Saturday after 70s mins but the game was done at 3-0. You would think Colchester would be more tired after a trip to FGR on Saturday, drive back to Essex and then the same trip again but they seemed the stronger side.

Maybe Wellens needs to be prepared to drop players despite a win if he sees players' levels drop but with a only a couple of days between games that may not be obvious if players are 'buzzing' in training.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out for the rest of the season.

Sent from my HTC U11
REDBUCK

« Reply #376 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 09:59:36 »

Although it's fair to say it won't be the same after 46 games, history shows there won't be too much movement for most clubs.  We're in a horrible FGR/Numb sandwich, the sort of thing once inconceivable.

Good to see the old FGR / Cheltenham mantra again been a while.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 10:23:04 »

Where does Fryers as a CH come from? 
Wellens said when he came in he could also play as a centre back
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #378 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 10:51:43 »

Havent read back...

Well that was a bit of a disaster!

I was quite proud telling a fella at a works do that i felt we would do well this year and that we are actually unbeaten as we were robbed versus Northampton.....i tempted fate...

Well beaten by a more organised team for sure...have to take last night on the chin.

Started so well without really troubling Colchester in the final third.

All went pear shaped and we never recovered, the injury just made it worse.

Hit and hope in the final stages and i wasnt grumbling as we tried everything else.

Ref wasnt great but he didnt cost us the game....i was a bit miffed that a deliberate handball didnt get a yellow but that shows how frustrated i was at the proceedings.

Reality check and we go again on Saturday.

Clems Army!
ReadingRed

Pragmatist clapper

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 11:01:25 »

He was clearly injured, their player had a sly kick out at him when he was running back to trip him and delay him getting back into position.
Glad someone else noticed that. If the ref had seen it, it could have been a red.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #380 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 12:10:06 »

Di Canio also pulled out some statistics about how lower league teams struggle with back to back home games Saturday to Tuesday and it's rare to pick up the six points everyone expects.

We'll just have to lose the Saturday game then win the Tuesday one. Simple.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 12:19:33 »

Glad someone else noticed that. If the ref had seen it, it could have been a red.
Think it was Theo Robinson who did it as well.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 12:52:45 »

Broadbent's ex?

👀

Long live toni
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 12:58:24 »

It was Robinson and fairly obvious!  Ref was runniong away and wouldn't have seen it, but lino was close by.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 13:56:35 »

RW picked him out, so bear with the repetition.  

Grant was a 9/10 last night.

Defensively active and hard (but never rash) and, in the second half, actively prompting with simple and also intelligent passing and never a missed pass.  I thought he showed the mental strength to keep going after Saturday and also to perform at top level whilst nearly all around were, to a greater or lesser degree, underperforming (Doyle and Hunt  apart?).

Felt sorry for Broadbent.  As has been commented, I think he is just not a 19/20 Swindon-type player.  He exceeded relatively low expectations, defensively, last season but is not comfortable on the ball and seems to have gone backwards fast.  

No idea who should replace him if Baudry remains unfit but it looks like we shall have to find out asap.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 13:58:36 by RedRag » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 14:54:49 »

I got frisked last night going into the TE, when did that come back? Must have been 20 years since that happened to me.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 15:20:33 »

I got frisked last night going into the TE, when did that come back? Must have been 20 years since that happened to me.

I noticed that! Said you didnt have your wallet in the pub and lo and behold the steward finds it!!

Jibbing Jonah!

Clems Army!
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #387 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 15:20:46 »

Last couple of years. I also got asked if I was old enough to be in The Town End unsupervised. I'm 6 foot and 30 years old. Idiot.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #388 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 15:25:12 »

Last couple of years. I also got asked if I was old enough to be in The Town End unsupervised. I'm 6 foot and 30 years old. Idiot.

Do you not suspect they may have been taking the piss!  Cheesy Wink
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #389 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 15:48:31 »

That's not true. First 25 we were good. Then we played shit. We executed our plan and the way we play terribly, with players changing what they do and what works.

If we had "stubbornly stayed the same" we would have won, because the same is short, effective possession-based play and pressing as a team - which worked very well for the opening period. It's not sitting off, creating huge gaps between the lines and hitting massive diags constantly.

This.

After twenty odd minutes I said to my daughter that Colchester do not know what is going on as they were looking at each other and the bench for instructions and had we scored in that time then who knows? One bad challenge, an enforced substitution, switching off at a corner right on half time and hey ho the wheels came off. As said elsewhere, the fitness levels dropped and the bad second goal meant it was basically all over. Relatively early days and alarm bells not ringing yet by any means.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: