Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Colchester pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 53574 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 08:46:21 »

I don’t get the argument that we got beaten because they, and Cobblers, were too strong for us. What about the other sides we’ve beaten or played off the park. Were they all playing weedy nerds?

Our style, to me, looks entirely dependent on confidence. The confidence to ping the ball around in neat and, at times, dangerous patterns.

It was noticeable how we stopped doing the things that won us previous games. Maybe the self belief isn’t quite there. Yet.

It's not about lumps and weeds, it's about sharpness.  To play our way the players need to be at peak sharpness, that's physical fitness running into mental mental alertness... the converse tired bodies lead to tired minds.  When on song, it's fine, but we're not going to be on song every game.   This is when an auto team has to dig in and find something. Last night we didn't come close.   Now that could be a one off it can happen or it could be a sign of something more serious, the next few games will tell us.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #361 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 08:47:46 »

He needs to get rid of that slapper he's with always looking for attention ! Maybe he can get on with his football then !

This comment is Toni levels of bizarre
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 08:51:44 »

Listen to RW. We got stuffed because we literally didn't stick to what's working.

Because what was working, wasn’t

We’re not Man City/Liverpool - were not going to be able to impose our style on every game, and when that happens we’d be well off having a different look to try and combat it, rather than just stubbornly staying the same

Things get better but they never get good
Panda Paws

« Reply #363 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 08:57:09 »

Because what was working, wasn’t

We’re not Man City/Liverpool - were not going to be able to impose our style on every game, and when that happens we’d be well off having a different look to try and combat it, rather than just stubbornly staying the same

That's not true. First 25 we were good. Then we played shit. We executed our plan and the way we play terribly, with players changing what they do and what works.

If we had "stubbornly stayed the same" we would have won, because the same is short, effective possession-based play and pressing as a team - which worked very well for the opening period. It's not sitting off, creating huge gaps between the lines and hitting massive diags constantly.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 08:57:51 »

It's not about lumps and weeds, it's about sharpness.  To play our way the players need to be at peak sharpness, that's physical fitness running into mental mental alertness... the converse tired bodies lead to tired minds.  When on song, it's fine, but we're not going to be on song every game.   This is when an auto team has to dig in and find something. Last night we didn't come close.   Now that could be a one off it can happen or it could be a sign of something more serious, the next few games will tell us.
The next few midweek games maybe. We don't seem to have this problem on Saturdays
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 08:58:32 »

how many chances did we create in the first 25 minutes?

Things get better but they never get good
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 09:09:12 »

I was impressed with Colchester who were very physically strong, athletic and with good wide options. Their front 2 dominated our centre backs and their centre backs dominated our front 2. Expect them to be top 7 and believe they were in a false position coming in to last night's game. We had an off night and confidence in football is a very shallow thing as evidenced by us struggling badly in the last 30 mins. Broadbent personally is clearly suffering from a severe lack of self confidence and landolo was also affected. Only Grant and Hunt were anywhere near Saturdays standards. Anderson and Isgrove - who looked completely knackered in the second half - were unable to make any significant impact and the team as a whole ran out of ideas. Having completely dominated possession the last 3 games, it felt exactly the reverse in the second half last night and the players couldnt cope with Colchesters pace, power and better fitness levels, helped i feel by them making 5 changes from Saturday, whereas we kept the same team, which in hindsight, proved one game too many for some. As always in games, it could have been so different had we scored the first goal and Baudry going off badly affected us - maybe those fans who saw him as a weak link will now reflect on their views! The main positive for me was the crowd, who apart from expressing some frustration at Broadbent and Iandolo, largely kept with the team - no mass booing at the end, which wouldnt have been the case last season.

Looking forward, our next 5 games are against teams in the top half, Newport and Plymouth at home, with Cambridge, Bradford and Crewe away, so some good challenges. Our 5 wins to date have been against teams currently occupying bottom half positions, with all unlikely to be threatening the top 7 at the end of the season. The 2 defeats have been against physically stronger teams, who have sat deep, not allowing us space to create, which I expect Newport in particular to replicate.

Our fast counter attacking football suits playing away rather than at home so hopefully we can get a good points haul from the 3 away games and still be looking pretty going in to November. Selection for Cambridge away will be interesting, with Benda , Fryers, Doughty and Woolery all potentially coming in to the reckoning. Broadbent clearly wont be included, so if Baudry is injured, would expect Fryers to partner Conroy in central defence. If Baudry is fit, I would rest Iandolo - whose confidence dropped off badly - for Fryers. If Benda has impressed in training, he may well get his chance, as his extra height could be a factor at set pieces, where Cambridge will be a threat. Doughty is a bit of a conundrum as he is most effective in support of a front 3 and felt he was wasted coming on last night merely doing what Rose had been doing. Might be worth giving Isgrove a break on Saturday, so he comes back fully refreshed for the Newport game.

I would therefore select the following 11 - subject to Baudrys fitness - playing Doughty in a more offensive role.

Benda
Hunt
Conroy
Baudry
Fryers
Grant
Rose
Doughty
Anderson
Doyle
Yates
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 09:13:55 »

Colchester did a number on us and were worthy winners, but disappointed that 2 of their goals are from mistakes. I said to my friend when it was 2-0, if we can score 1 we'll win 3 or 4-2, if we don't score any we'll get dicked 3 or 4-0. 1 goal always seems to lift us.

I thought Iandolo played quite well, and Conroy as well against two real handfuls. Nouble was brilliant for them up top and Robinson was decent too (it was obvious he'd score). It's one of those games where if we get the first goal, we win comfortably but they shut us out.

Judging from the first handful of games it seems like a one off, so lets put it down as a bad day in the office and hope for a response on Saturday against, according to Kyle Knoyle, a real step up in quality in Cambridge.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 09:22:04 »

Just looking back to the Di Canio promotion season, we lost 4 of the first 5 before going on to lose at Burton and Macclesfield before September was out. By that point we were 7 points from top with players like Jervis, Montano and Magera knocking around.

For what it's worth, I think we're in a much stronger position this season and the positivity eminating from the past few weeks wasn't misplaced. We scored 11 in 4 prior to last night, conceding only 4. It wsn't an accident and we should be able to pick ourselves up again.
Panda Paws

« Reply #369 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 09:27:38 »

Yep - league table is redundant at this stage. Knocking along at 2 points per game is title winning over a season so anywhere close to that, at any stage, means we're doing well.

Big response Saturday needed though, for sure. I'd expect RW to make some changes he's wanted to make for a while but felt unable to.

Assuming Frenchie is out I'd go:

Benda
Hunt Conroy Fryers Iandolo
          Doughty Grant
Woolery  Anderson  Yates
                 Doyle

Rest Isgrove and bring him on if we need to.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 09:32:29 »

I didn't actually realise Colchester had scored their second goal. I was being superstitious and moving down the terrace, looked up and wondered where their players had gone. Couldn't even hear the Colu fans cheers  Smiley

The Flash had a different hat on, surely he has to shoulder some blame?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 09:40:55 »

This comment is Toni levels of bizarre
Broadbent's ex?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 09:44:04 »

I was impressed with Colchester who were very physically strong, athletic and with good wide options. Their front 2 dominated our centre backs and their centre backs dominated our front 2. Expect them to be top 7 and believe they were in a false position coming in to last night's game. We had an off night and confidence in football is a very shallow thing as evidenced by us struggling badly in the last 30 mins. Broadbent personally is clearly suffering from a severe lack of self confidence and landolo was also affected. Only Grant and Hunt were anywhere near Saturdays standards. Anderson and Isgrove - who looked completely knackered in the second half - were unable to make any significant impact and the team as a whole ran out of ideas. Having completely dominated possession the last 3 games, it felt exactly the reverse in the second half last night and the players couldnt cope with Colchesters pace, power and better fitness levels, helped i feel by them making 5 changes from Saturday, whereas we kept the same team, which in hindsight, proved one game too many for some. As always in games, it could have been so different had we scored the first goal and Baudry going off badly affected us - maybe those fans who saw him as a weak link will now reflect on their views! The main positive for me was the crowd, who apart from expressing some frustration at Broadbent and Iandolo, largely kept with the team - no mass booing at the end, which wouldnt have been the case last season.

Looking forward, our next 5 games are against teams in the top half, Newport and Plymouth at home, with Cambridge, Bradford and Crewe away, so some good challenges. Our 5 wins to date have been against teams currently occupying bottom half positions, with all unlikely to be threatening the top 7 at the end of the season. The 2 defeats have been against physically stronger teams, who have sat deep, not allowing us space to create, which I expect Newport in particular to replicate.

Our fast counter attacking football suits playing away rather than at home so hopefully we can get a good points haul from the 3 away games and still be looking pretty going in to November. Selection for Cambridge away will be interesting, with Benda , Fryers, Doughty and Woolery all potentially coming in to the reckoning. Broadbent clearly wont be included, so if Baudry is injured, would expect Fryers to partner Conroy in central defence. If Baudry is fit, I would rest Iandolo - whose confidence dropped off badly - for Fryers. If Benda has impressed in training, he may well get his chance, as his extra height could be a factor at set pieces, where Cambridge will be a threat. Doughty is a bit of a conundrum as he is most effective in support of a front 3 and felt he was wasted coming on last night merely doing what Rose had been doing. Might be worth giving Isgrove a break on Saturday, so he comes back fully refreshed for the Newport game.

I would therefore select the following 11 - subject to Baudrys fitness - playing Doughty in a more offensive role.

Benda
Hunt
Conroy
Baudry
Fryers
Grant
Rose
Doughty
Anderson
Doyle
Yates

A decent analysis.

I'd pick up on 2 points though.... re crowd, a lot of the booers had buggered off after about 70 mins esp from the TE. You could hear an undercurrent of "get it forward" waiting to break out as we kept possesion using Lukeball.

Where does Fryers as a CH come from?  Not sure I'd fancy that. Maybe time for having a look at Curran...
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #373 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 09:47:30 »

Doyle worked his arse off, was out on the wing and dropping deep in the second half trying to create something for other players..
Yeah, Doyle was our only attacking player who looked decent, I agree. So Grant, Hunt and Doyle were the only half decent performers.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 09:52:36 »

Yep - league table is redundant at this stage.

Although it's fair to say it won't be the same after 46 games, history shows there won't be too much movement for most clubs.  We're in a horrible FGR/Numb sandwich, the sort of thing once inconceivable.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: