Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Macclesfield pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 47802 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: Sunday, September 15, 2019, 14:49:39 »

Quote from: The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey
Any particular reason Doyle’s goals will dry up? Or is it just an historical ‘they always do’ kinda thing?

it's fair to say they slow a but. Nobody scores just over 1 a game average!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #331 on: Sunday, September 15, 2019, 14:54:43 »

Bury, MKD and Tranmere were all promoted conceding more than 1 goal a game, But only Tranmere scored under 70 goals. Even Lincoln conceded 43.

The season before that, EVERY team conceded more than 1 per game.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #332 on: Sunday, September 15, 2019, 14:55:18 »

it's fair to say they slow a but. Nobody scores just over 1 a game average!
Ref: see Harry Morris 1926 Wink

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Sunday, September 15, 2019, 14:57:27 »

Any particular reason Doyle’s goals will dry up? Or is it just an historical ‘they always do’ kinda thing?

A lot of strikers have a streak and then dry up for a bit and perhaps can repeat another streak. Marc Richards when he came had 7 in 8 but then dried up somewhat. At his present rate Doyle would be on for between 40-50.... that isn't going to happen.  The trick is which to be fair is what we're doing, is to rack up the points while he's hot... the unknown is can we find alternative sources, when he's not?  Well Yates can step up and Anderson now has 3 and I've been saying for a while he and Kaiyne need to get up to 10 a season. I'd like to see some danger from corners and know we've someone who can slot a free kick, but apart from the Fryers effort not a lot here yet
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Sunday, September 15, 2019, 15:07:47 »

By drying up I presumed you meant, maybe, only scoring another 6 or so this season.

If he ‘dries up’ to a mere 1 in 3 from now on he’ll still hit 20. If he stays - and stays fit - he’ll hit nearer to 30 than 20.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Sunday, September 15, 2019, 15:16:07 »

Another positive is that we’ve scored all of these goals without the help of any penalties.

During recent years, we’ve had more than our share, and have made a good job of scoring them. We know full well that Doughty can knock them in, logic suggests that Doyle and Yates could do so, and since late 2016 I think we’ve scored 20+ and only missed 1 (Keshi).

We’ll get a few of them over the season, and I see no reason why we  won’t capitalise when we do.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Sunday, September 15, 2019, 16:08:04 »

tbf, he's going to struggle to maintain a goal a game average. Every striker goes through a dry spell. But with Yates and Anderson both in scoring form, plus a few others chucking a few in, we have the goals in the team to overcome that, a bit like when we had the Mooney/Parkin or Austin/Paynter partnerships, if one wasn't scoring the other one generally was.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Sunday, September 15, 2019, 16:11:37 »

I’m not suggesting he’ll score 40+ goals, just what ‘drying up’ meant to Reg.

As I said earlier, if he goes down to 1 in 3 from now on he’d still hit 20.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Sunday, September 15, 2019, 16:19:21 »

But we all know we don't have a 20+ goal a season striker, or an experienced right back, and we're forced instead to rely on callow youths like Hunt and summer trialists like Isgrove Smiley
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Sunday, September 15, 2019, 16:35:18 »

Because its far easier to be negative than positive.

Are you positive? 😁
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Sunday, September 15, 2019, 16:38:04 »

Doyle is a 1 in 3 striker career wise, so he could well hit 20.... but that doesn't mean you go up. 

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Sunday, September 15, 2019, 16:53:09 »

In the last 2 seasons 6 out of the 8 promoted teams had a 20 goal striker.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Sunday, September 15, 2019, 16:57:09 »

Doyle is a 1 in 3 striker career wise, so he could well hit 20.... but that doesn't mean you go up. 
No, but it puts you a fair way towards it.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #343 on: Sunday, September 15, 2019, 16:58:20 »

Having a defence that is tighter than a nuns chuff does not guarentee promotion either, just as not having a striker who can hit 20 goals doesn't.

Nothing is guaranteed in football.

But sometimes, just sometimes its good to focus on the positives and not the negatives in a team.

We can all be miserable bastards when it comes to Swindon Town, especially with our recent history, but some of us like to look at the good points and hope that we go from strength to strength. Look for the positives and actually (dare I say it), look forward to matches again.

There is a feel good factor at the club currently and it takes more than a few nay sayers to bring that down again.

Anyone that saw yesterdays match cannot fail to be impressed with our team at the moment and it is impossible to not enjoy watching us pass the ball around and totally destroy the opposition, in every area of the pitch for pretty much all of the game.

If you are not enjoying watching us play at the moment then I suggest you (not aimed specifically at Reg) go and follow a different sport or at least a different team.

This is what being a Swindon fan is all about for me.

Feeling part of the club again, feeling it is the start of something good (as we have pretty much all seen the signs), winning games, playing good football, not conceding many goals and looking far too good for this league.

I am enjoying it as in football things can change so quickly but that doesn't mean I will focus on the possible negatives I will concentrait on the already achieved and hope we will build upon that.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #344 on: Sunday, September 15, 2019, 16:58:43 »

No, but it puts you a fair way towards it.
Exactly my point.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: