Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Macclesfield pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 48095 times)
Nijholts Nuts

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Saturday, September 14, 2019, 19:02:14 »

Throw back to when we all called for Canice Carrol to return to the club. Fast forward a few months and now we have Grant and Lyden, times they are a changing.

I only dream of Claire Sweeney
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Saturday, September 14, 2019, 19:08:29 »

Indeed, although if you'd told me when I was a teenager that in 35 years time I'd be stood wildly "singing" a Spandau Ballet song at a Swindon game, I'd have looked at you a bit funny.
In my late twenties, I'd have ended it all there and then at the thought of my grey self wildly singing New Romantic crap at the County.

But, I'm still standing  Wink
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Saturday, September 14, 2019, 19:18:16 »

The real question is where is Reg and his acolyte red ken? Flicking each others bollocks to attain suitable misery levels Wink
Don’t worry - we are at home on Tuesday so he is sure to be along before then to remind us about our midweek curse and the importance of turning this around if we are to maintain our ‘upwards momentum’.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Saturday, September 14, 2019, 19:23:31 »

Excellent team performance today. I would have made Grant MOM for the way he controlled things for 75 minutes or thereabouts. Yates’ movement and bringing others into the game, Doyle’s finishing and Hunt’s all round play also stood out. But no poor performances anywhere. A clean sheet as well - to be fair LMc had an easy afternoon really as we were in control.
First half goals came at the right time as we needed to go in ahead at half time after dominating to the extent we had. It also enabled us to see out the game second half which we did quite comfortably.
Driving back afterwards I thought back to RW’s comments after the Lincoln game last season - when he talked about passing around the box until we got a shooting position rather than just getting a cross in - all 3 goals, particularly the second and third showed the benefits of that approach and composure in decision making.
This is a good squad team - and the fact we can even contemplate not bringing Doughty straight back in after suspension highlights the squad depth too.  
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Saturday, September 14, 2019, 19:25:23 »

I’ll go out on a limb here - this is the 3rd season in the basement. Although Luton didn’t actually win the league there were probably the best team and Lincoln pretty much had it wrapped up fairly early last season.

We’re way better than either of them - at the moment. Maybe the sticky winter pitches will even things out a bit.

I’ve always said the best squads wins leagues - and we’ve got the best squad by miles.

Christ, if we fuck up this season . . .
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Saturday, September 14, 2019, 19:29:35 »

Unlikely. After the amount of seasons I've had it doesnt take long to know which bit of the table you'll end at. Another bonus is if we do need recruits come Jan, it's an easy sell.
Nijholts Nuts

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Saturday, September 14, 2019, 19:30:15 »

Taking nothing away from team or individual performances today, let's just give a little nod toward Richy and Noel and the management team for knitting together a so far brilliant squad.

I only dream of Claire Sweeney
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Saturday, September 14, 2019, 19:32:16 »

Sometimes you just know. There aren't 3 teams better in this league, there isn't even on one. It's obvious.
Seriously though...Where's Reg?

I'm here.... bit of a rest between the cricket at the CG and the football at the CG.  Good stuff, my pub team playing the traditional end of season game v Bell from Bath, for a much coveted trophy, on short term loan to the Bell. A happy coincidence, family and friends, some doing cricket but not football, some football not cricket, some both.

The post match tea in pub will be long and messy, I haven't the stamina for 12 hr sessions any longer.

Macc looked like their good start was a bit of a fluke.... we looked like others will start to worry.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Saturday, September 14, 2019, 19:33:06 »

Yeah taken for granted sometimes. For a swan to swim, the legs underneath have to be kicking like fuck.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Saturday, September 14, 2019, 19:35:53 »

Get in there Reg. It's official now, we're rolling.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Saturday, September 14, 2019, 19:40:42 »

Highlights are up

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Saturday, September 14, 2019, 19:52:56 »

We are automatic promotion contenders. No doubt.

It's these type of potential banana skins, where you hope to come away with a point at best, that really give an indicator of a side on the up. To say we should be excited at getting a point against the Silks would be an understatement. To claim all three is something on the verge of lunacy in some people's eyes.

We will all have many variables relating to our opinions, throughout the season but when posters like Processed Beats and StefPol have no option but to applaud how good we are at this stage already, surely even Reg must be getting his tally whacker wet at the thought of the Town being the stand out team in this division? We even have a player in Grant, who can do the dirty work, which he so often preaches about being a necessity to get out of this division. We have necessity all across the park. We don't have an experienced right back or two ten goal strikers. We have two twenty goal strikers.

I'm fucking loving it!

PS: RobinNZ is the Kiwi dwelling Nostradamus. That's 3 in 3. Place bets now!

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Saturday, September 14, 2019, 20:37:35 »

We are automatic promotion contenders. No doubt.

It's these type of potential banana skins, where you hope to come away with a point at best, that really give an indicator of a side on the up. To say we should be excited at getting a point against the Silks would be an understatement. To claim all three is something on the verge of lunacy in some people's eyes.

We will all have many variables relating to our opinions, throughout the season but when posters like Processed Beats and StefPol have no option but to applaud how good we are at this stage already, surely even Reg must be getting his tally whacker wet at the thought of the Town being the stand out team in this division? We even have a player in Grant, who can do the dirty work, which he so often preaches about being a necessity to get out of this division. We have necessity all across the park. We don't have an experienced right back or two ten goal strikers. We have two twenty goal strikers.

I'm fucking loving it!

PS: RobinNZ is the Kiwi dwelling Nostradamus. That's 3 in 3. Place bets now!

You do make me laugh.

I am a Swindon fan and want them to win every game. The difference between me and you is I can see the difference between when Swindon are playing well and when they are serving up dross.

The last couple of seasons Swindon have been poor yet if you read some of your and other poster in game and post game comments you would wonder why Swindon are not top of the league and playing in a much higher division. You only have to read comments made by Wellens at the beginning of this season where he stated he thought Swindon were fortunate with a few of their results last season and were not ready for promotion.  This contradicts pretty much most of your views from last season.

This season we have been really good. Wellens has changed the team and got them playing great football. The only way I can’t see us getting promoted is if a number of our loan players have to return to their parent clubs in January (so they can be sold on). Alternatively it wouldn’t surprise me if a club in a higher division tried to tempt Wellens to manage them or an underperforming club with more financial power then Swindon (ie Salford) tried to persuade him to leave.

Hopefully neither of these will be an issue and we will be playing league 1 football next season.

bathford

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Saturday, September 14, 2019, 21:10:33 »

Taking nothing away from team or individual performances today, let's just give a little nod toward Richy and Noel and the management team for knitting together a so far brilliant squad.

Dead right. Well said.
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Saturday, September 14, 2019, 21:29:18 »

Says a lot that we're brushing teams aside without the likes of Doughty able to play. He's back on Tuesday and we'll be even stronger. What's more is that he'll probably be on the bench. The squad is there this time around. And it looks a brilliant one. Point me towards three better in this division and I'll laugh in your face.

Only injuries and the gaffer leaving will stop us this season. I'm expecting us to win the league to be honest.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: