Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Leyton Orient v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 53596 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #330 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 09:34:25 »

There is a lot of individual talent in this team. Those responsible for recruiting have done an impressive job, some of our players should not be playing in L2.
TBF over the last 3 seasons a lot of our players shouldn't be playing in L2...Conference at best for most!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #331 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 09:34:43 »

Not bad for a close season trialist is he?

Since when have had a successful trialist?  Hmmm Hmmm Hmmm
Peter Venkman

« Reply #332 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 09:58:03 »

Looking at the stats from yesterday shows how we totally controlled the match right from the off.

Possession 62 to 38 in favour of Swindon

Shots 13 to 9 in favour of Swindon

On target 5 to 4 in favour of Swindon

Corners 7 to 3 in favour of Swindon

Fouls 6 from Swindon and 17 from Orient.

Well done to the 1,307 Town fans (and the several in the home end too) fantastic support, again.

All this at a ground we don't often do well at, it all bodes well.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 10:06:54 »

Given some time to think, I am reassessing my review - we were fucking brilliant.  It was never in doubt, not for a second.  Now, Reg does have a point, sort of, in that if we want to be in the top three, we have to put these teams away.  But, as per my insistence that this feels like 95/96, we ARE putting them away and the teams are changing to try and stop us.  That season we didn't really batter anyone scoreline wise, but we usually came out on top or looked far better.  Last season we were ok, but struggled in some games to put teams away.  Yes we should be beating Orient if we want to go up, well, we did, and with plenty to spare.

Of course, we'll go and lose Wellens half way through the season now!

Lets enjoy it while it lasts, go on Reg, let is slip for a few days, or weeks.

You should always enjoy a win, and there are some better than others.

For example beating Leeds twice 3-0 under Wilson, those of us of a certain age, will recall the widespread hatred of Dirty Leeds, made it all the sweeter.  But having got to the verge of auto after Elland Road, we lose at Colu, fail to beat Walsall and Exeter at the CG so have to make do with PO's.

When you've a team that can play well you expect them on a good day to do the business, but for auto you need a bit of grinding over a season, so far our points at Numb and Exeter, prob look better results in that sense than stuffing Embers' outfit.

Now onto Macc.... a bit of a strange one this, a 2-0 to them sees them above us, but you feel what with their probs it's a false position, it will be up to us to show this.  How sides handle the weight of expectation heaped on them by fans getting a bit carried away is a sign of how good they really are.  You mention 95/96, but I would say that was a class grinding outfit, only lost 4 games all season, but lots of draws to back up the magic 25 win total.

The 4-1 win at Rovers, one of a few that season where you got a bit excited about it being able to dismantle the opposition, one of only twice we scored 4.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #334 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 10:17:29 »

Trying to get some of the feel good factor back into this thread after a couple of posts...

I know some of these posts are in an above post, but, here is my usual post from the various Orient forums on the net with their thoughts about the game, 95% very complimentary TBH.

Yesterday they were so dominant in midfield with Grant making his debut.

Swindon were not playing dirty but it was far too easy for them to push our players off the ball. The  Orient team are good ball players but too lightweight.

Today they were just completely beaten in every conceivable area of the game. It looked almost though they had never played together before. Swindon were almost showboating at times and it could genuinely have been 5  or 6. Obviously Swindon are a very good outfit and Isgrove and Anderson looked real class but a defence that looked so solid last season for us is really creaking now which is a worry. RE needs to learn lessons from today -  the first of which is that we a long way off being comfortable in this division - and act accordingly.

We have a top 7 budget this season apparently, this shows how far behind we are.

Men against boys, Not a lot else to say about todays game

we got soundly beaten by a very good Swindon team

And special praise for Swindon players number 7, 30 and Anthony Grant who looks like he would've fitted the bill as the midfield general.

I don't think there will many (or any?) better teams than Swindon for Orient to face this season

That's embarrassing, Swindon playing exhibition football

Ross has to take the full blame for this, appalling tactics

We are looking like a team that's never played a game of football

That Yates lad has caught my eye before. Very promising young player.

Set out the side with a losers' mentality in true "little Leyton Orient" fashion. That's the result. Indefensible.

Sad thing is, the scoreline doesn't even flatter them.
Do we have the worst defence in the League now?
Need to change it up at half time. Points are gone but FFS let's have some self respect.
Ross had been slightly ahead of my expectation going into today but the formation change was a huge own goal. Just why?

Swindon by far the best team.. If they keep this tempo up,We’re onto a hiding

Beyond awful. None of the players have a clue where they are meant to be.

Well that was terrible This could end up 6-0 if something drastic doesn’t change in second half.
Swindon out classing in every department

Swindon #30 has tore our backline a new one today. Reality check for those who thought we have a top 6 squad, the step up in quality from NL is clear as day out there.

It’s pretty grim stuff alright. We look absolutely clueless. Think RE needs to step aside sooner rather than later before the rot really sets in.

Yep not seen us so outplayed in years whatever system they're playing sure ain't working.

I’m actually enjoying watching Swindon

Just be thankful the Swindon players got complacent and tool their foot off the gas or that would've been a cricket score

Today Ross submitted to Swindon before the game even started. Ran scared of their attack and nullified our own qualities to use a formation we've all seen doesn't work. Just sat back and allowed them to dictate the game. Doesn't get much more embarrassing than having a fellow L2 team showboating after 45 minutes.

Swindon were a yard at least faster, creating space and closing us down straight away. Not sure who was tasked with marking their no.7 who ran us ragged...looked like no-one.

20% better Orient play & formation
80% Swindon complacency and taking foot off

Worth giving credit to Swindon. Although we did our best to make them look good I thought they were a great side at this level. Absolutely taught us a lesson.

I honestly think that they were playing at 50% in the second half.

''I would hope Dross Embleton takes responsibility for this in the post-match interview.''

Swindon just completely dominated the half playing great football and when they lost it, pressed really high and quickly and Orient just couldn't deal with it and had no way of playing out and just kept giving possession back

As bad as Ling was, the #30 he was mostly up against was class.

Swindon are a very good team. Best team I’ve seen at there for a long time.

Agree- on this showing they will be back to L1 - no problem

Not seen anybody express joy at getting schooled by the mighty Swindon. Think you’ve just made that bit up.

I think we have seen a couple of the worst teams in L2 ie Cheltenham and Stevenage, and maybe some were lulled into a false sense of security, but today was a massive wake up call.

First time of the season that our opponents had the ball more than us.
Average so far 57 - 43 Today was: 38 - 62

Lloyd Isgrove was a free agent, only got a one-year deal at Swindon, he would have been a realistic signing for us.

Swindon are agood side but not that good .

I can’t believe Swindon will only be a play off side if they perform like that every week. They were in absolute control for the full 90 minutes. Even their substitutes that came on were better than our first choice players.

Swindon are a pacy side but take 2 flukey goals away & we knick a point.

You say 2 flukey goals but when you’re dominating possession like that and constantly testing a defence, you tend to get that ‘luck’. The half time score didn’t flatter them in the slightest.

Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 10:29:59 »

"Dross Embleton"  Smiley

I come from a land down-under
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 10:30:13 »

Having had time to reflect, first 60 minutes we were literally unplayable against. First to every second ball and closed down really well. Tracked back too and snuffed out any attacks they tried to muster. Players really seemed to enjoy their game and especially the goals, straight to the town fans. Every team has at least one purple patch and Orient had theirs last half hour. Apart from the goal they hit the post and had one cleared off the line.

Support was excellent too. Players were willing to come over pregame and afterwards for photos and autographs as well. Definitely a feel good factor all round. Long may it continue.

2 home games up next so hopefully climb the table.

Oh and was odd to see Doughty walking down Leyton high street well after 2pm on his way to the ground. Passing the the Leyton Technical much to the delight of the town fans outside  Pint
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 10:53:06 »

Trying to get some of the feel good factor back into this thread after a couple of posts...

I know some of these posts are in an above post, but, here is my usual post from the various Orient forums on the net with their thoughts about the game, 95% very complimentary TBH.

I may have mentioned the other day that we will get better as the season goes on and have the January window to deal in if we need. Not looking too shabby is it? Of course there are going to be some bumps in the road but as it stands I have a warm cosy glow about things and will get tickets for the Silkmen tomorrow.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #338 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 10:54:49 »

I may have mentioned the other day that we will get better as the season goes on and have the January window to deal in if we need. Not looking too shabby is it? Of course there are going to be some bumps in the road but as it stands I have a warm cosy glow about things and will get tickets for the Silkmen tomorrow.
Long may the feeling continue, we will have some games when we can't play at all but as long as we get back on track the next game and don't let our heads drop its all good.

Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 11:17:48 »

Long may the feeling continue, we will have some games when we can't play at all but as long as we get back on track the next game and don't let our heads drop its all good.

#Northampton
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 11:22:48 »

Interestingly I honestly though that Phil Brown was the man to kick start the malaise and downward spiral into the long grass. With his experience, contacts and character I did mention that he could do a Lou Macari for us. Just goes to show how far off the mark one can be. Of course there is a long, long way to go until we reach where  I believe we should be, the championship. With a developed ground of course, now where did I put the crystal ball mystic Meg left me?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 11:28:18 »

I thought Brown had lost his passion. He looked like he really didn’t give a stuff.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 11:41:49 »

I thought Brown had lost his passion. He looked like he really didn’t give a stuff.

I can see why you say that and see what you saw, now. Fair play to Power in as much as he might have seen that too, other than the results being at best inconsistent before admitting enough was enough we’re going nowhere under Brown and ordering him a taxi.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 11:49:10 »

Interestingly I honestly though that Phil Brown was the man to kick start the malaise and downward spiral into the long grass. With his experience, contacts and character I did mention that he could do a Lou Macari for us. Just goes to show how far off the mark one can be. Of course there is a long, long way to go until we reach where  I believe we should be, the championship. With a developed ground of course, now where did I put the crystal ball mystic Meg left me?

It's always good to own up to be being wrong....

Thing is, Brown has a unique insight to what he has/had player wise at the final whistle of game 45 last season. He has acted accordingly with the retained and released list, offered contracts and subsequently future targets. Also he has a two month head start on what Flipflop had and if I may be so bold, more experience and probably better contacts. For the aforementioned reasons i’m optimistic enough to feel that PB will not only put together a promotion winning team but a team capable of winning the league, so much so that I shall put some money on it.

Not so good is when presented with evidence of a contrary view, including relevant quotes from Brown himself, rather than weighing them up, resorting to petty jibes and insults.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #344 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 11:50:14 »

#Northampton
Oh I agree about that but the performance itself was still pretty good, I was getting more at the "bad day at the office" style performances where nothing goes right for the team.

We will have those days.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: