Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Morecambe pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 40069 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #15 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 10:13:10 »

I forget exactly, but something along the lines of wanting to have goalscorers on the pitch when trying to win games.
Makes sense, to most of us anyway.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 10:39:53 »

Makes sense, to most of us anyway.
The table may be embryonic in Div 4, but already you can see that the sides doing well at the top are mainly doing so because of strong defence rather than having goalscorers as such.... so Exeter at the top leading scorer Nicky Law with a couple their goalscorer Nicky Ajose yet to notch.  Plymuff similar and FGR have Joseph Mills usually a FB as leading scorer.

The Div's laeding scorer is Danny Rose at Mansfield who are below us, mainly on the basis of shipping a couple of goals per game.

We look OK going forward, but still not quite convincing defensively
« Last Edit: Friday, August 30, 2019, 10:44:19 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Peter Venkman

« Reply #17 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 10:55:37 »

Yet in the Championship table every one of the top 6 scorers are sat in the top 6 places. Also Man City in the Premier League have 2 players in the top 3 scorers.

Yes of course we need a strong defence but without a goal scorer you cannot win games. You don't score...you don't win.

You stop them scoring then you will draw games but clean sheets don't win matches, just just stop you losing them.

I would rather we win 2 games out of every 3 than draw all 3 0-0.

Flashheart

« Reply #18 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 10:58:23 »

You don't score...you don't win.

What is this madness?
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 10:59:31 »

What is this madness?

Unless you're Northampton.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Peter Venkman

« Reply #20 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 11:01:20 »

Unless you're Northampton.
If you add the word "legally" then I agree.

NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 11:06:18 »

We need to be more clinical in the attacking third of the pitch - whilst we should have beaten Northampton a combination of poor final ball, wayward shooting and blocked shots meant their keeper made 2 saves in the 96 minutes played.
To score more goals we need to improve this part of our game.
I’m encouraged by our start and optimistic that we will win tomorrow.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 11:06:40 »

Darren Drysdale is ref, he sent off Wade Elliott at our place a few years ago  Smiley
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 11:14:35 »

Yet in the Championship table every one of the top 6 scorers are sat in the top 6 places. Also Man City in the Premier League have 2 players in the top 3 scorers.

Yes of course we need a strong defence but without a goal scorer you cannot win games. You don't score...you don't win.

You stop them scoring then you will draw games but clean sheets don't win matches, just just stop you losing them.

Not true...

It's been done many times, yes you need goals but they can come from a variety of sources.  It would be very unusual in the modern game for a gaffer to play 2 goalscorers in the same staring XI..... for that reason, I would expect Yates to have to do a somewhat different role to accommodate Doyle, that seems to be what he's done in the past, but he might not be too happy about it.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 11:26:03 »

Didn't Carlisle play him at left back?  I think he'll be OK with playing a number 10 role with Doyle in the 9..
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 11:31:02 »

I also think you’re onto something here.

5 of the 7 teams who won automatic promotion last season within the FL had a striker who scored 20+
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 11:31:57 »

I bet they had an experienced Right Back though.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 11:32:34 »

Didn't Carlisle play him at left back?  I think he'll be OK with playing a number 10 role with Doyle in the 9..

I think Wellens sees him as a goalscorer, perhaps not something seen by others, besides a little run he had at Carlisle.  Anyway we'll see, should be interesting.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 11:40:53 »

I bet they had an experienced Right Back though.

I'm sure they did, Numb highlighted why that is important.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 11:41:07 »

I think Wellens sees him as a goalscorer, perhaps not something seen by others, besides a little run he had at Carlisle.  Anyway we'll see, should be interesting.

He's much more mobile than Doyle and naturally comes out wide to seek the ball anyway.  The trickier bit for me is getting the wide left right and getting the best out of Anderson if Yates goes central.  Isgrove, if fit, would be the number one spot right and on form Anderson would probably be ahead of Woolery, but would that mean he doesn't influence the game and goes back to bad habits?  Maybe Isgrove needs a rest and it will solve itself a little?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: