Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Morecambe pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 40077 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 11:42:53 »

Not true...

It's been done many times, yes you need goals but they can come from a variety of sources.  It would be very unusual in the modern game for a gaffer to play 2 goalscorers in the same staring XI..... for that reason, I would expect Yates to have to do a somewhat different role to accommodate Doyle, that seems to be what he's done in the past, but he might not be too happy about it.

Let's not do this again eh? Yes, it would be good if our front men notched, and it would really help if midfield chipped in, but we could really also do with them helping out our defence, who also need to tighten up and stop letting goals in. That about covers it, doesn't it?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 11:45:31 »

im sure wellens said he wanted to play 4-4-2. So why we can't get that with both yates and doyle up top?

Anderson behind, woolery left, isgrove right + a cdm. it may seem too attacking but they are all full of running and can track back and sit into a 4-5-1 if defending leaving doyle up top.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 11:45:44 »

I also think you’re onto something here.

5 of the 7 teams who won automatic promotion last season within the FL had a striker who scored 20+

And yet the season before there were only 2. Both in Div 4.  Last season Championship was the place for goalscorers, there were 7 20+ men who didn't go up automatically.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #33 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 11:58:03 »

Let's not do this again eh? Yes, it would be good if our front men notched, and it would really help if midfield chipped in, but we could really also do with them helping out our defence, who also need to tighten up and stop letting goals in. That about covers it, doesn't it?
Yes

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 12:07:14 »

im sure wellens said he wanted to play 4-4-2. So why we can't get that with both yates and doyle up top?

Anderson behind, woolery left, isgrove right + a cdm. it may seem too attacking but they are all full of running and can track back and sit into a 4-5-1 if defending leaving doyle up top.

That is surely to much of an attack minded team, the problem with attackers that don't always do their fair share of tracking back when they need to prefer staying up pitch, we need a happy medium.

Our issue at the moment is not scoring goals, I would leave Yates on the bench tomorrow and continue with the formation we have been playing as we have been scoring, I think we need to focus on getting the defence that big tighter and a clean sheet will do wonders for their confidence.

Morcambe are not likely to have the players that can run with pace at our full backs so hopefully they can concentrate on helping the midfield and getting back into position
Peter Venkman

« Reply #35 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 12:21:43 »

Morcambe are not likely to have the players that can run with pace at our full backs so hopefully they can concentrate on helping the midfield and getting back into position
I have watched every game they have played in highlights this morning and their strength seems to be through the middle.

They have scored a couple of long range efforts from midfield so far and a couple of slightly flukey striker goals from long balls played early into the box, they also attack set peices strongly.

But they looks slow and ponderous at the back and the defence has been badly at fault for every goal they have conceded, they don't have much pace at the back at all, like Cheltenumb, when Exeter and Mansfield ran at them they couldn't defend the balls into the box at all.

The Grimsby game they were beaten in the defending by them was farcical.

They do defend in numbers but seem awful when any ball is played into the box, ponderous clearing their lines too.

Burton exploited their slow fullbacks in the LC game and thrashed them 4-0 with soft goals from half decent crosses each time.

Also most of the goals they have conceded seem to be in the 6 yard box, exactly where Doyle is at his best.

https://www.skysports.com/morecambe-videos
« Last Edit: Friday, August 30, 2019, 12:26:39 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 12:25:13 »

I have watched every game they have played in highlights this morning and their strength seems to be through the middle.

They have scored a couple of long range efforts from midfield so far and a couple of slightly flukey striker goals from long balls played early into the box, they also attack set peices strongly.

But they looks slow and ponderous at the back and the defence has been badly at fault for every goal they have conceded, they don't have much pace at the back at all, like Cheltenumb, when Exeter and Mansfield ran at them they couldn't defend the balls into the box at all.

They do defend in numbers but seem awful when any ball is played into the box, ponderous clearing their lines too.

Burton exploited their slow fullbacks in the LC game and thrashed them 4-0 with soft goals from half decent crosses each time.

Also most of the goals they have conceded seem to be in the 6 yard box, exactly where Doyle is at his best.

They're going to sit deep and in numbers like Nor'ton to stop us breaking aren't they? Won't be pretty unless we can unlock them earlyish.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Peter Venkman

« Reply #37 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 12:27:42 »

They're going to sit deep and in numbers like Nor'ton to stop us breaking aren't they? Won't be pretty unless we can unlock them earlyish.
I have now put the link for the goals, for Morecambe fans must be wincing at the goals they have conceded so far, if you have a few spare mins watch them, especially the Burton and Grimsby games!

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 12:53:13 »

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 14:13:35 »

But it's interesting, Abrahammer mentions last season as 5 of 7 auto sides having a 20+ man, however if you look at the preceding 7 seasons back to PdC and 11/12, you find that of the 49 auto FL clubs only 17 had a 20+ man, about 35%.
Briggany

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 14:26:33 »

Going for a 5-0 thriller. Doyle two, Yates 1, Anderson 1 and Isgrove 1. 
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 14:43:15 »

But it's interesting, Abrahammer mentions last season as 5 of 7 auto sides having a 20+ man, however if you look at the preceding 7 seasons back to PdC and 11/12, you find that of the 49 auto FL clubs only 17 had a 20+ man, about 35%.

You're really stretching the definition of "interesting" there, Reg. In this weather, you should be out putting a Balkan filly through her paces. You won't always be able to count on your statistical wizardry to charm the pants off them you know.

Old_Town_Red

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 14:49:34 »

Diamonds are forever...forever
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 15:03:52 »

You're really stretching the definition of "interesting" there, Reg. In this weather, you should be out putting a Balkan filly through her paces. You won't always be able to count on your statistical wizardry to charm the pants off them you know.

Had one been available, I would have.  Nevertheless you never know when a little knowledge might come in handy, meeting my Bulgarian, she was mighty impressed that I could put the Letch in Letchkov, and knew of Boncho Genchev and Bobby Mikhaelov's wig. There are sapiosexual women about  Smiley
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 15:09:47 »

6-0 Town (abroad and a bit pissed, if this works I am happy to keep doing this !)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: