Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC vs. Cheltenham Pre-match, match day and post-match recriminations  (Read 53577 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #15 on: Friday, August 23, 2019, 08:23:21 »

I'd take a point but have no idea what our chances really are. Neither a loss or a win would surprise me.
Cheesy

Actually it is too early to tell it really could go any way.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, August 23, 2019, 08:24:47 »

Will take a point.

Mainly because of their good home record as opposed to the, irrelevant IMO, statistical anomaly that is our record there
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, August 23, 2019, 08:26:33 »

We are gonna lose, we always lose at Cheltenham....
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, August 23, 2019, 08:44:56 »

Difficult game with their recent home record and start to the season. I’d settle for a draw, and our away form gives me hope that we can do this.
Whilst it’s true we haven’t won there in a competitive game, they were only promoted to the league about 20 years ago, and we haven’t always been in the same division since then. These winning and losing runs all have to end at some point.
Trevor Kettle is another poor referee, but Cheltenham fans views on him mentioned earlier suggest he isn’t biased, just incompetent (or inept to use RW’s vernacular).
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, August 23, 2019, 08:48:34 »

Apparently despite my earlier prognosis that suggesting we're the underdog in this fixture, is somehow intended to get regular posters foaming at the mouth with its outlandishness, I'm sticking with it.

I had hoped that the stats might show we're always above them going into these fixtues at Whaddon Road, and therefore a role reversal might help end the hex.... but sadly not quite; the Malpas game, they were above us on more scored despite everything else being the same.

That was a classic as we mullered them got 20 corners and lost 2-0.... their opener was scored by a fella called Ben Gill, it was his only ever FL goal.  Shortly before hand, a young fella behind me had said "this lot are so shite, they'll never score", I pointed out to him the error of his ways. Gill was soon sent off but it made fuck all difference as the smallest player on the pitch headed in a second, Jennison Myrie-Williams; it was his only Numb goal.

What compounds it for me, is that Numb the place is so far up it's own arse, awash as it is with conspicuous wealth, that the FC has always been pretty much a non league irrelevance, a bit like Headington used to be.  That's fair enough, whereas Swindon being a working class place awash with poverty, has historically taken great pride in its FC.  For many years we kept Headington in their rightful place, and tbf to the scummers they do get playing us, whereas Numb are so polite it doen't really matter.

Very difficult to make a case for tomorrow starting an ex hex.
dogs

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, August 23, 2019, 09:08:41 »

Be amazed if we win tomorrow. I'd happily take a point and more importantly no more injuries or suspensions.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, August 23, 2019, 09:10:42 »

3-0 to us sets a marker for the season that this is a very different Swindon to some of the teams of the past as we march on to become the lower league Invincibles, storming through the leagues on a 3-season stomp to the top flight, smashing all in our wake. Although I'd take a point, tbf

Yeah, me too. But sod it, I went for blind optimism...and will do so until realty bites.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, August 23, 2019, 09:16:56 »

Apparently despite my earlier prognosis that suggesting we're the underdog in this fixture, is somehow intended to get regular posters foaming at the mouth with its outlandishness, I'm sticking with it.

I had hoped that the stats might show we're always above them going into these fixtues at Whaddon Road, and therefore a role reversal might help end the hex.... but sadly not quite; the Malpas game, they were above us on more scored despite everything else being the same.

That was a classic as we mullered them got 20 corners and lost 2-0.... their opener was scored by a fella called Ben Gill, it was his only ever FL goal.  Shortly before hand, a young fella behind me had said "this lot are so shite, they'll never score", I pointed out to him the error of his ways. Gill was soon sent off but it made fuck all difference as the smallest player on the pitch headed in a second, Jennison Myrie-Williams; it was his only Numb goal.

What compounds it for me, is that Numb the place is so far up it's own arse, awash as it is with conspicuous wealth, that the FC has always been pretty much a non league irrelevance, a bit like Headington used to be.  That's fair enough, whereas Swindon being a working class place awash with poverty, has historically taken great pride in its FC.  For many years we kept Headington in their rightful place, and tbf to the scummers they do get playing us, whereas Numb are so polite it doen't really matter.

Very difficult to make a case for tomorrow starting an ex hex.

I'll quote you Reg just to make sure your point is completely visible Smiley

I think even the most positive of Town fans would struggle to make a case for us winning tomorrow!

That said, packed away end, goodish start to the season...............you never know, right?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Flashheart

« Reply #23 on: Friday, August 23, 2019, 09:19:52 »

I'll quote you Reg just to make sure your point is completely visible Smiley

Prick!
Flashheart

« Reply #24 on: Friday, August 23, 2019, 09:22:11 »

Cheesy

Yes.

And after the match I will say 'told you so' to highlight my prowess in insightful football predictions. Wink
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, August 23, 2019, 09:23:41 »

Prick!

Feel the love FH!!

Kiss

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, August 23, 2019, 09:29:09 »

I’ll take my fair share of the blame - along with 4D - for Tuesday’s defeat. After moving here I had gone full Captain Birdseye with an unruly, bushy white beard.

Shaved it off Tuesday morning with the alarm bells jangling as I took the razor to it.

I also need a haircut now. But I’ll put that off until after Saturday.

Sure fire win.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, August 23, 2019, 09:30:42 »

Whilst it’s true we haven’t won there in a competitive game, they were only promoted to the league about 20 years ago, and we haven’t always been in the same division since then.

Numb were promoted form the Conference in 15/16, having been relegated in 14/15. You might have hoped that might have reset the hex, a bit like how Oxford's move to the Kassam has in reverse. But no.   

In fact in their relegation season, we played them in the cup with a decent side a division above and lost 5-0.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #28 on: Friday, August 23, 2019, 09:32:24 »

Yes.

And after the match I will say 'told you so' to highlight my prowess in insightful football predictions. Wink
Guaranteed results!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, August 23, 2019, 09:35:36 »

I’ll take my fair share of the blame - along with 4D - for Tuesday’s defeat. After moving here I had gone full Captain Birdseye with an unruly, bushy white beard.

Shaved it off Tuesday morning with the alarm bells jangling as I took the razor to it.

I also need a haircut now. But I’ll put that off until after Saturday.

Sure fire win.

Should have stuck with it, and gone from Capatain Birdseye to full Gandalf.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: