Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 30   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Northampton pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 62899 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 12:15:32 »

I wish.

I did have a look at the options to see if such a thing can be done automatically (I share your pain), but couldn't find it. I will have another look when I get a chance. Or maybe another, more tech-minded admin can have a butchers...?

TBH if anyone has any member blocked for whatever reason then they should be spared the agony of having to see the blocked ones posts quoted period, until they have a change of heart to unblock them.
Flashheart

« Reply #346 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 12:23:49 »

I agree.

I've just had another look and couldn't find anything. I will bring it up with the other admins. It might be something that will take Barry to poke about with stuff, if it's even possible.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 12:38:23 »

Based on?

Who does look like a serious contender? How do they differ to us, other than in your opinion?

The 3 I've eyes on atm are Bradford, Plymuff and Newport, Exeter probably come into the equation as well.  Bradford, have Donaldsson and Vaughan up front, who if staying fit are decent for Div 4... Plymuff have got Lowe i/c, who went up last season with Bury, they've a strongish looking squad, not over reliant on loans.  Newport are hard to beat, Flynn is still there which is something of a surprise, they could be this years Accy.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 12:44:14 »

If folks are going to not only block/ignore Reg, but then also block/ignore discussions that involve him, it's going to very quickly unravel the whole purpose of having a discussion-based forum. I find his trolling (as opposed to his more sensible posts) as irritating as anyone, but I'm sure there's plenty of people find my contributions just as irritating*. In the main, even where I don't agree with him, he does try to back up his opinions with coherent argument which can sometimes sway opinions or at least force you to think about why you don't agree. The trolling is annoying but crunchy with the smooth and all that and it doesn't merit a move that would IMO undermine the discussion based nature of the forum and turn it instead into an atomised Facebook-style echo chamber. We already have the Cheltenham Whinger's Facebook group for that.

*mods, you may need to start a whole separate sub-thread for people who find me irritating to say "Yeah, I do"
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 12:50:12 »

We're four games in FFS. You can't make that judgement yet.

So, how can one make any judgement (positive or negative) based on only 4 games?

Nothing to see here
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 12:55:04 »

We're four games in FFS. You can't make that judgement yet.

Why not... last season we were 15 points off the final auto slot, that's quite a lot..... which meant we needed to see significant strengthening in the summer, hand on heart do you really think we're clearly better off in all depts, particularly with what we ended up with last year?

Fair does if you do... but 3 things strike me, 1. last season Wellens lamented having players around the squad he can't use, we still seem to have that.2. Loan players being your better players, therefore too dependent on them... our 2 up top are both loans. 3. players with questionable injury records.... we've already seen a couple of loans go down, and Rose and McGilp are yet to get a run of games since Jan.  This leads to having to draft in kids for the bench, adding to the impression there's nothing much on the bench that can change a game.

« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 12:57:44 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #351 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 13:00:56 »

I agree.

I've just had another look and couldn't find anything. I will bring it up with the other admins. It might be something that will take Barry to poke about with stuff, if it's even possible.

Nope. There is a paid feature mod available apparently but SMF doesn't support that functionality natively.
Flashheart

« Reply #352 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 13:03:58 »

it doesn't merit a move that would IMO undermine the discussion based nature of the forum

How on earth would that happen? Can the rest of us still not talk about stuff?

and turn it instead into an atomised Facebook-style echo chamber.

A bit dramatic? Some people only want to avoid having to put up with a certain person's shite. I know there are some people that no longer bother posting because of it.

When people disagree with each other on platforms like this, they are often asked to just ignore each other for the benefit of the other members. This is EXACTLY what some people are trying to do, regardless of their intention.

Even having this discussion irks me, he's going to be lapping up the attention, and this discussion may not even be taking place if there were a more effective system of ignoring people.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 13:11:42 »

A bit dramatic? Some people only want to avoid having to put up with a certain person's shite. I know there are some people that no longer bother posting because of it.

When people disagree with each other on platforms like this, they are often asked to just ignore each other for the benefit of the other members. This is EXACTLY what some people are trying to do, regardless of their intention.

Even having this discussion irks me, he's going to be lapping up the attention, and this discussion may not even be taking place if there were a more effective system of ignoring people.

I post my observations because this is an STFC football forum.... there is no intent in any of them beyond objectivity, and will happily discuss with anyone the matter in question if views don't agree.  Personally I'd never ignore someone even if I don't agree, completely defeats the object... a bit like the bullying of posters like JTR so they no longer feel able to contribute.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 13:12:37 »

I'm sure I don't actually need to spell this out, but given Reg is a fairly prolific contributor, and lots of people don't ignore him, you'd kind of get two versions of the TEF - one with Reg's posts in and the replies from those who didn't have him blocked and a "Reg-free" version. Which I appreciate is kind of the intention, but actually then if the posters who haven't blocked Reg have made sensible/brilliant points in their responses (unlikely, I grant you, more likely to just be the standard bollocks Smiley ), then those would be lost as well to the Reg-free posters.

I just don't get why people find an opposing opinion so infuriating that they can't bear to even see it tbh
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 13:13:49 »

I don't ignore anyone, I just might skip or skim read some posts  Smiley
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 13:17:05 »

I don't ignore anyone, I just might skip or skim read some posts  Smiley
You ignored pleas not to go to the game last night! Smiley
Flashheart

« Reply #357 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 13:17:33 »

but actually then if the posters who haven't blocked Reg have made sensible/brilliant points in their responses (unlikely, I grant you, more likely to just be the standard bollocks Smiley ), then those would be lost as well to the Reg-free posters.

Why?

I think you've missed the point. We don't want peoples' replies to be omitted. The problem is that we can still see what reg himself has written when people quote him, which is exactly what we are trying to avoid by having him on ignore in the first place.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 13:24:04 »

I don't see the point of ignoring people on a forum, the whole point is opinions and if I come across a poster where i don't generally agree with their opinions or am not really interested, i scroll past.

Ignoring or finding a way not to quote a poster is all a bit dramatic if you ask me.  If it pisses you off that much, why are you logging on in the first place.

I used to be part of the FB group, the constant drivel on there started getting on my wick so I binned it off, my life is much better without it.

I think a few posters just need to chill out, cheer up or grow up tbh.  If you don't like it, scroll on (as many will probably do with this post Cheesy)

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #359 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 13:24:46 »

Panda Paws has it spot on. There's absolutely no need to go looking for a lump of a forward so we can play it direct when things aren't working. The second half showed that we can tweak the system.

1st half Northampton controlled it because they had two men on Isgrove the whole time. May was the point of the midfield three and was pretty woeful. Doughty and Lyden couldn't get out of our half to play the through balls we've been seeing in the first few games which has torn teams to shreds.

2nd half Isgrove dropped deeper (presumably because Wellens changed it, but maybe it was injury related) and the Northampton midfield didn't know what to do. Doughty got forward more with May sitting in, but the dynamic also changed when Twine came on. That created more space and we started playing it through and created chances.

We missed Yates' work rate because I don't think Doyle was busying himself enough to bother what was at times a back 6. And if we had Anderson too, the pace with him and Woolery would've given Northampton something else to think about.

If we keep to our 'style' we'll win our fair share of games this season.
I am not sure it did though. Again, i am not saying lump it forward i am saying that like Panda rightly pointed out Wellens wants to play a certain way. At times it looks like that way id to get it out wide and get crosses in and in my opinion having more of a target man to switch those crosses up when we are chasing the game would help rather than Scott Twine ending up under crosses
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 30   Go Up
Print
Jump to: