Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 30   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Northampton pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 62849 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 11:03:23 »

I understand your point you are trying to make and in some instances you are right but the pattern of the game last night tells us different. Not all fans think you need a big lump because we want to hit it long,i wanted a big lump on last night to get on the end of the 15 plus crosses that were put in the box. Tyler Reid for example put 3 great crosses in but we didn't have the height to bother them

A target is just one option.... in Div 4 it's a fairly obvious one. Comparison to the likes of Liverpool is ridiculous and falls down on a bit of analysis.  Their front 3 hardly missed a game.... yet they still got a dozen goals out of Shaqiri, Sturridge and Origi, their options.  These clubs can afford to carry 6 or more options up front. Clearly we can't, but do need something, that can change a game.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 11:05:03 »

First time I've seen the new side and many positives.

No idea why Isgrove is playing in league 2, not just a tricky clever player but he ran his socks of from first to last (any with an injury apparently). Fryers was frustrating (almost as frustrating as Hockaday continually calling him Fryer) continually giving the ball away when in good positions. Hunt was the better full back last night and I liked the look of Reid when he came on.

Lyden and Doughty look a good midfield pairing and Conroy and Baudry (one mistake aside) look a good defensive pairing who are comfortable with bringing the ball out from the back.

Doyle worked hard up front but nothing really fell for him. I expected him to be taller in all honesty. Kayne remains speedboat with no driver. He has absolute pace to burn but more often than not will end up not being able to do the basics. (mis-controlling a pass out of play, or getting to the byline and chipping the ball into the Townend are 2 that come to mind).

I don't think we played badly last night, just missing that bit of nous in our play to unlock a well organised team. I think Anderson was missed and hopefully he'll be back for Saturday.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 11:07:13 »

Positives from last night, I thought Reid did well when he come on and some of the passing and interplay was very good, all except the final ball. I'm with Panda Paws, we should've scored and shouldn't shit the bed because it failed last night. I know it was a familiar story but I reckon we're better this season and win that game 8 out of 10 times in similar circumstances. We'll see I suppose but I can't see us getting another forward in now so something we'll have to put up with.

Normal rules don't apply at Whadden Road but one thing they won't be doing is sitting everyone behind the ball so there should be more opportunities. We played well last night and don't need to change anything, WellensBall is the best stuff I've watched from a Swindon team in a number of years and last night changes nothing.  
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #333 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 11:09:39 »

Then the mistake is crossing too early. They're not good crosses if we're not built to score via high, early crosses.
or we need a target man for those situations? It's ok to have both. We can even have one that fits in with our style
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #334 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 11:23:45 »

or we need a target man for those situations? It's ok to have both. We can even have one that fits in with our style
Absolutely, a target man need not be just a big slow bully, but being able to bully defenders and hassle them into mistakes is a bonus, somebody who can head a ball and hold the ball up though would be a massive plus point.

Its just something a bit different to change things when its not working playing the way we are, there are many good target men that are not your typical big man up front, Hylton, Collins, Ranger etc they dont all have to be Akinfenwa or Akinde style.

Our bench last night looked really weak and we badly need a few more players that can make an impact off the bench and change things...even if its slightly changing it.

It doesnt have to rely upon a massive hoof out of defence as some people are suggesting, it can just be a more subtle change of plan.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 11:29:30 »

Panda Paws has it spot on. There's absolutely no need to go looking for a lump of a forward so we can play it direct when things aren't working. The second half showed that we can tweak the system.

1st half Northampton controlled it because they had two men on Isgrove the whole time. May was the point of the midfield three and was pretty woeful. Doughty and Lyden couldn't get out of our half to play the through balls we've been seeing in the first few games which has torn teams to shreds.

2nd half Isgrove dropped deeper (presumably because Wellens changed it, but maybe it was injury related) and the Northampton midfield didn't know what to do. Doughty got forward more with May sitting in, but the dynamic also changed when Twine came on. That created more space and we started playing it through and created chances.

We missed Yates' work rate because I don't think Doyle was busying himself enough to bother what was at times a back 6. And if we had Anderson too, the pace with him and Woolery would've given Northampton something else to think about.

If we keep to our 'style' we'll win our fair share of games this season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 11:31:18 »

Absolutely, a target man need not be just a big slow bully, but being able to bully defenders and hassle them into mistakes is a bonus, somebody who can head a ball and hold the ball up though would be a massive plus point.

Its just something a bit different to change things when its not working playing the way we are, there are many good target men that are not your typical big man up front, Hylton, Collins, Ranger etc they dont all have to be Akinfenwa or Akinde style.

Our bench last night looked really weak and we badly need a few more players that can make an impact off the bench and change things...even if its slightly changing it.

It doesnt have to rely upon a massive hoof out of defence as some people are suggesting, it can just be a more subtle change of plan.

I'm not sure too many people are suggesting hoofball as such, but rather if your crosses have to be low to pick out player's feet, nothing wrong in having someone bigger and decent in the air by way of a change.

As things stand, we don't look like a serious auto contender. Still possible for a bit of tweaking before the window slams.
stfcjack

The Swindon lot don't seem to respect you

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 11:35:09 »

No idea why Isgrove is playing in league 2, not just a tricky clever player but he ran his socks of from first to last (any with an injury apparently).

Isgrove is class! But it was clear to see he wasn't 100% fit last night, I don't think it was his best game for us (that's not to say he played badly at all) but he was different gravy at Exeter. I feel he is going to have to be managed very well this season to get the best out of him.
Panda Paws

« Reply #338 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 11:38:24 »

As things stand, we don't look like a serious auto contender. Still possible for a bit of tweaking before the window slams.

Based on?

Who does look like a serious contender? How do they differ to us, other than in your opinion?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 11:38:43 »

As things stand, we don't look like a serious auto contender.

We're four games in FFS. You can't make that judgement yet.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #340 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 11:39:58 »

Agreed.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 11:41:56 »

Can we introduce a rule that stops people quoting the negative one? It would be a real help for those of us that have him on the ignore list.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 11:53:56 »

Can we introduce a rule that stops people quoting the negative one? It would be a real help for those of us that have him on the ignore list.

This
Flashheart

« Reply #343 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 11:58:33 »

I wish.

I did have a look at the options to see if such a thing can be done automatically (I share your pain), but couldn't find it. I will have another look when I get a chance. Or maybe another, more tech-minded admin can have a butchers...?
willwalder

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 12:03:31 »

Last week Richie Wellens ranted at the ref, this week the lino is in the firing line.

Have a listen here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07l5csp
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 30   Go Up
Print
Jump to: