Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 30   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Northampton pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 62872 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #315 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 09:46:04 »

When will we get over the desire for a big lump up front for when things don't seem to be working? We created enough chances to win last night. Having a massive, immobile lump up front and seemingly trying to change our whole system and approach because it's a bit of a frustrating night is a weird obsession of ours (and England fans c. 2006).

Obviously, we've got more chance of scoring by continuing to do what we're been working on for weeks in training and by playing in a way that suits our recruitment profile than we have playing in a way that doesn't suit our players and doesn't suit the way we try and play.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 09:47:25 »

Cheltenham sold out! 1500 all sold
No chance then, will have to rely on PV.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 09:52:17 »

Home tickets available still?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #318 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 09:55:54 »

As I mentioned during the game we seemed reticent to shoot from outside the box, Doughty especially guilty of that, on at least 3 occassions he was in a good position just outside of their box with space in front but he chose to play a floor pass into the box/wingers.

We all know he can shoot with power and accuracy from distance but he just didn't pull the trigger.

Is that because thats how he has been told to play or was it his choice?

We only had 2 shots from long range yesterday and they fell to Woolery and Reid, with the greatest respect thats not eithers strong point of their game, Doughty though it is a strong point.

With Doyle in the box picking up on any saved shots if the keeper fumbles it then surely that would be a good option, but somethign we didn't use yesterday.

1st half we were an average L2 team up against a side set out to stop us playing, 2nd half we grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and took it to them but couldn't find a way through, partly due to poor final ball and partly to not taking risks, no options on the bench to change the way we play hindered us IMO.

The ref and lino need to come out and admit they fucked up to gain a bit of respect back, Northampton conned the ref and kept diving and shirt pulling all game, typical Curle tactics, but they got more than they came for as they set out to spoil the game and stop us scoring and grab a 0-0.

Lets hope it doesn't affect the players too much and come back with a win at a place we never win at that would be a massive fan morale booster.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 09:57:18 »

When will we get over the desire for a big lump up front for when things don't seem to be working? We created enough chances to win last night. Having a massive, immobile lump up front and seemingly trying to change our whole system and approach because it's a bit of a frustrating night is a weird obsession of ours (and England fans c. 2006).

Obviously, we've got more chance of scoring by continuing to do what we're been working on for weeks in training and by playing in a way that suits our recruitment profile than we have playing in a way that doesn't suit our players and doesn't suit the way we try and play.
Agree to a fashion, however as you say when we are creating chances and not putting them away we need a plan B.
I'm not saying we need a lump of lard stood around for 90 minutes but iñ the later stages of a game,  a strong muscular poacher would be good for the over the top balls.   At least if a lump on the run can't score they always look good for a penalty when brought down.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #320 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 09:57:20 »

I will be here with my usual reporting Smiley

Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 09:58:08 »

Home tickets available still?

Oh yes, see if going in with the oppo changes our fortunes. Worth a try. If it works, then you can get a season ticket in the corner of the Arkells.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 10:00:05 »

Oh yes, see if going in with the oppo changes our fortunes. Worth a try. If it works, then you can get a season ticket in the corner of the Arkells.
or in with the wheelchairs.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 10:00:26 »

Is he operating as a tout as well as everything else now? Smiley
Peter Venkman

« Reply #324 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 10:11:33 »

Is he operating as a tout as well as everything else now? Smiley
If the price is right.... Cheesy

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 10:14:04 »

Agree to a fashion, however as you say when we are creating chances and not putting them away we need a plan B.
I'm not saying we need a lump of lard stood around for 90 minutes but iñ the later stages of a game,  a strong muscular poacher would be good for the over the top balls.   At least if a lump on the run can't score they always look good for a penalty when brought down.

It's about having options to find a way, to win these sort of games.  It was no surprise to see Cobblers come and try and spoil and hope for a mistake, at least the mistake this time was the officials and not one of our players, but that's not much solace.
Panda Paws

« Reply #326 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 10:24:04 »

It's not about options to win a game. It's not about a plan b. RW has said this. Every top side in the country believes in the way they play and makes tweaks to a system and a philosophy (push FBs further forward, rotate midfield options) if they're pushing.

Do Man City or Liverpool, or Norwich and Sheff Utd in the Championship last year, get frustrated so go direct for the last 20? No, they believe in doing what they're good at doing, and the players they have specifically recruited to play that way. We created 5 clear-cut chances in the second half - score one and everyone moves on happy.

Crossing from deep and long balls are statistically proven to be the least effective way of creating chances.

1.1 v 0.2 in xG. I'd take that performance every single home game this season because we'd win way more than we'd lose.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 10:34:08 »

Is the porta cabin still there? I could get a deckchair on top of that  Smiley
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #328 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 10:51:32 »

It's not about options to win a game. It's not about a plan b. RW has said this. Every top side in the country believes in the way they play and makes tweaks to a system and a philosophy (push FBs further forward, rotate midfield options) if they're pushing.

Do Man City or Liverpool, or Norwich and Sheff Utd in the Championship last year, get frustrated so go direct for the last 20? No, they believe in doing what they're good at doing, and the players they have specifically recruited to play that way. We created 5 clear-cut chances in the second half - score one and everyone moves on happy.

Crossing from deep and long balls are statistically proven to be the least effective way of creating chances.

1.1 v 0.2 in xG. I'd take that performance every single home game this season because we'd win way more than we'd lose.
I understand your point you are trying to make and in some instances you are right but the pattern of the game last night tells us different. Not all fans think you need a big lump because we want to hit it long,i wanted a big lump on last night to get on the end of the 15 plus crosses that were put in the box. Tyler Reid for example put 3 great crosses in but we didn't have the height to bother them
Panda Paws

« Reply #329 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 10:59:18 »

I understand your point you are trying to make and in some instances you are right but the pattern of the game last night tells us different. Not all fans think you need a big lump because we want to hit it long,i wanted a big lump on last night to get on the end of the 15 plus crosses that were put in the box. Tyler Reid for example put 3 great crosses in but we didn't have the height to bother them

Then the mistake is crossing too early. They're not good crosses if we're not built to score via high, early crosses.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 30   Go Up
Print
Jump to: