Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 30   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Northampton pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 62866 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 02:40:46 »

we lost. bugger.

that is all
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 06:25:47 »

It was a typical, flat, midweek performance from us. Probably no coincidence that we have lost all 3 midweek games.

No game changers on the bench and a lack of physical presence up front. We can’t just lob a cross into the box, it’s always got to be probing for an opening and when teams stack their defence we struggle big time.

It’s going to be a continuing theme at home and Wellens must come up with a plan for it.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 06:41:10 »

A plan b would be useful, take a risk and go direct if you have to.
Panda Paws

« Reply #288 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 06:59:37 »

Disagree. We went too long for 15 minutes after the goal. We don't have the players to go long and it's not effective.

If we have that level of control and dominance in most games we'll win most games. That performance is fine.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 07:05:41 by Panda Paws » Logged
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 07:07:55 »

I imagine we’ll be getting in trouble for the object thrown towards the blind linesman and Wellens will be getting in more trouble for calling them out as inept. Does my head in that they just get away with such woeful decisions and you can’t even criticise them, they are basically untouchable. Wellens is right when he says they all just stick together, he’ll probably get in trouble for that as well as it’s pretty much questioning their integrity.

Refereeing is at an all time low standard, they consistently find ways to sink to new depths.

As for plan B if we had Yates, Rose, Keshi and Norwich lad on the bench we’d have had plenty of options but we’ve been very unfortunate.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 07:21:43 »

Disagree. We went too long for 15 minutes after the goal. We don't have the players to go long and it's not effective.

If we have that level of control and dominance in most games we'll win most games. That performance is fine.

This. No point going direct when no-one is going to win it in the air. Wellens has said before about having a plan A but having planA(1), planA(2) etc. Don’t have to change the style, but can do stuff like pushing the full backs on more. We created chances at 1-0 (Doyle, Reid’s shot, and a couple good crosses in the box). Just wasn’t our day, wouldn’t be too concerned by that loss.
Flashheart

« Reply #291 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 07:21:47 »

If the ref stands by his claim after seeing the video he has no place being on a pitch ever again,

Indeed. How could they be allowed to officiate matches if they think their decision is OK? Either that or they are lying about it, both of which should exclude them.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 07:39:55 »

I was with 4D last night.

I think sometimes it's a lack of a risky early cross or shot that we suffer from.

Exeter's goal came from a reflex shot which effectively hit the fellas boot and in to the goal on Saturday. We never seem to take a gamble.

Clems Army!
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 07:40:14 »

Perhaps we need a big lump target man on the bench for a plan b then.
Flashheart

« Reply #294 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 07:49:43 »

We were crap in the 1st half yesterday but dominant in the 2nd. Northampton had 10-11 men behind the ball but we were still going to unlock them at some point.

There wasn't anything wrong with the plan. The game was not on course to be decided by such an atrocious decision from the officials, until...
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 07:51:01 »

This. No point going direct when no-one is going to win it in the air. Wellens has said before about having a plan A but having planA(1), planA(2) etc. Don’t have to change the style, but can do stuff like pushing the full backs on more. We created chances at 1-0 (Doyle, Reid’s shot, and a couple good crosses in the box). Just wasn’t our day, wouldn’t be too concerned by that loss.

Wellens did allude to the 15 minutes after they scored and he wasn’t enthusiastic.

On reflection even this morning i’m still royally pissed off.

It is one thing to lose to a better side even when you play well. It is another thing to lose when you played absolutely shit and allowed a poor side to win. This is where it gets hair pullingly fucked offable. We lost to an average team who came to physically bully and deploy gamesmanship wherever possible aided and abetted by poor officials which in of itself is a generous assessment of their performance. While my money is on most attendees concluding we did not necessarily deserve to win we certainly deserved a share of the spoils all things being equal. There should be minimal ‘blame’ if you like towards the town, everyone’s ire should be directed at the officials and to a lesser degree the Cobblers.

Fuck me when you see the size of their team v ours it must be blindingly obvious to the ref that going down quicker than a cheap prostitute when challenged for the ball in a game that is a contact sport that something’s not quite right. If that is the Cobblers modus operandi for this season good luck to them, they’ll need it.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 07:53:54 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Panda Paws

« Reply #296 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 08:02:03 »

No. We created 5-6 clear chances off the top of my head. Lumping a unit on there and banging it long won't create more chances. Early, deep crossing and going long is proven to be the least effective way of producing chances.

- Doyle's shanked volley from 8 yards out
 - Reid's shot just wide
 - Kaiyne's header wide
 - Conroy's header just kept out
 - Doyle's header just tipped over
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 08:02:35 »

I did think to myself last night that every time a tackle went in it seemed to be deemed a foul.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 08:03:39 »

Didn't deserve to lose, but we didn't do enough to win. And when you don't do enough in a game, you lay yourself open to the whims of fate, in this case manifested in one of the most jaw-dropping displays of officiating shitness we've seen for a while. But there's no use whining about that, or about the way Northampton played. It's League 2, you get shit officials, you get shit football teams, if you want to get out of League 2, you need to be good enough to overcome that. We didn't do enough last night to do that, so we undeservedly lost.

We're 4 games in to the league - this is no more a sign of imminent catastrophe than being top of the league after 3 games was a sign we'd walk it. Roll over Cheltenham on Saturday and we're on course for European domination inside 5 years again Smiley
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 08:05:13 »

What we needed was you to stay at home Smiley Who was in charge of the blockade and let him through? Sack the blockade manager!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 30   Go Up
Print
Jump to: