Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v carlisle pre match day thread  (Read 34841 times)
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Monday, August 12, 2019, 11:30:58 »

The daddy of good starts though has to be 63/64.... Bert's Babes, first season in Div 2.  The season of Six Days til Saturday... for a couple of heady months it looked like we'd be regaining our place in English football's elite, lost with the Great War.
Am I missing something or was the Southern League the elite at the start of the Great War?

We're 44 points from safety and after Saturday I'm already bullish about not starting the next decade as part of any Conference or Southern League elite  Wink
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Monday, August 12, 2019, 12:29:25 »

Am I missing something or was the Southern League the elite at the start of the Great War?

Here's the SL table at the end of the 13/14 season

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/LeagueTable.asp?CompCode=LGE&Tier=3SL&Season=1913-1914

SL was a parallel league to the FL.... fully professional with high standards, as shown thay season by Town beating Man U in the FA Cup.

As SL champions Town were dispatched to Argentina by the FA on missionary work to spread the beautiful game.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Monday, August 12, 2019, 12:41:14 »

How many of that squad survived The Great War?
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Monday, August 12, 2019, 12:49:21 »

How many of that squad survived The Great War?

Freddie Wheatcroft died. As did Bob Menham's son (who was a reserve) but I'm not sure if he had left by then ...

https://www.footballandthefirstworldwar.org/swindon-town-football-club-and-the-first-world-war/
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Monday, August 12, 2019, 13:08:31 »

Are we, as fans, blind to our own team?

I say this because a Carlisle fan who was at the game said the Swindon players threw themselves to the ground at every opportunity and conned the ref, who got wise to it in the 2nd half and we got very little.

I watched via iFollow and can’t remember anything of the sort and the stats which come up on iFollow at half time said we got 5 free kicks and them 6.

Maybe we all do it.

Woolery and Anderson did a couple of times. Cant think of many others.

Their number 5 should have walked for booting Lyden in the face so swings and roundabouts
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Monday, August 12, 2019, 13:40:19 »

Are we, as fans, blind to our own team?

I say this because a Carlisle fan who was at the game said the Swindon players threw themselves to the ground at every opportunity and conned the ref, who got wise to it in the 2nd half and we got very little.

I watched via iFollow and can’t remember anything of the sort and the stats which come up on iFollow at half time said we got 5 free kicks and them 6.

Maybe we all do it.
Lyden went down easily a couple of times either side of getting absolutely smashed by Carroll

Sent from my CLT-L09

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Monday, August 12, 2019, 14:01:47 »

It really isn't worth scrutinising other forums and getting wound up by what opposing fans think. As we know, fans' opinions are never going to be totally balanced or logical.

I agree with most of what has been said about the match. In addition, the one point which we shouldn't forget, amidst all the new signings, is what a class act an on-form Doughty can be, and what a privilege it is to have a player of that calibre on a 3 year contract.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Monday, August 12, 2019, 14:19:05 »

Freddie Wheatcroft died. As did Bob Menham's son (who was a reserve) but I'm not sure if he had left by then ...

https://www.footballandthefirstworldwar.org/swindon-town-football-club-and-the-first-world-war/

Bertie Denyer lost half his intestines to a wound, but was still playing in 1938.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Monday, August 12, 2019, 14:31:37 »

Zeki Fryers makes the EFL Team of the week.

Kudos
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Monday, August 12, 2019, 14:37:25 »

Zeki Fryers makes the EFL Team of the week.

Kudos

Particularly as he wasn't even our best player.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Monday, August 12, 2019, 14:39:14 »

Lyden for me
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Monday, August 12, 2019, 15:26:16 »

Lyden for me

Bet you say that to all the girls....

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Monday, August 12, 2019, 15:31:40 »

Or Covingham!
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Monday, August 12, 2019, 18:04:48 »

Fryers was served on toast 3 times and it cost a goal the 3rd time. Team of the week is nonsense but if it improves his confidence then I won't complain again. Isgrove, Lyden and Yates were all better.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Monday, August 12, 2019, 18:19:56 »

Here's the SL table at the end of the 13/14 season

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/LeagueTable.asp?CompCode=LGE&Tier=3SL&Season=1913-1914

SL was a parallel league to the FL.... fully professional with high standards, as shown thay season by Town beating Man U in the FA Cup.

As SL champions Town were dispatched to Argentina by the FA on missionary work to spread the beautiful game.
I knew, of course, about the FA Cup semi finals but some interesting further historical background there.  

Thanks.

The Southern League.  Is full of Shit.  The Southern League is full of shit...….
 Town robbed again  Angry
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: