Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon vs Chelsea U21  (Read 34588 times)
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #150 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 09:27:23 »

Genuinely struggle to see what people see in TD last night. He was poor imo

Think we can assume that the Broadbent thing needs to be sorted out.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 09:31:18 »

RW made his feelings on the game pretty clear:

“I’ve learnt nothing from that really,”
“My concern is Carlisle at the weekend"
“If I could have played the youth team tonight then I probably would have,”

Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 12:09:59 »

Genuinely struggle to see what people see in TD last night. He was poor imo

Think we can assume that the Broadbent thing needs to be sorted out.

Broadbent has not had much game time since the end of last season, so I'm sure once he regains his fitness he will be back to how he was playing
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #153 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 12:16:12 »

Broadbent has not had much game time since the end of last season, so I'm sure once he regains his fitness he will be back to how he was playing
I don't think Wellens rates him and that is why he has had no game time. Wellens has literally said in todays article he is 6th choice. I would not be shocked to see him go on loan somewhere
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 12:31:40 »

I don't think Wellens rates him and that is why he has had no game time. Wellens has literally said in todays article he is 6th choice. I would not be shocked to see him go on loan somewhere

I think you're right. It's just a shame that Wellens gave him a 2.5 year deal 6 months ago.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 12:35:03 »

Its all a bit odd how he came in, did a pretty sound job, disappeared from the team towards the end of last season and is seemingly now an outcast.

Not saying its wrong/putting out a conspiracy theory/etc. In Wellens we (mostly) trust
phelpsieboy

« Reply #156 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 12:44:41 »

Its all a bit odd how he came in, did a pretty sound job, disappeared from the team towards the end of last season and is seemingly now an outcast.

Not saying its wrong/putting out a conspiracy theory/etc. In Wellens we (mostly) trust
I can recall when Curran signed that Wellens stated that this deal was already in place before I came in. Wonder if the same applied to Broadbent, even if it involved Wellens having the final say and thinking at the time that there was enough quality in Broadbent to make him a worthwhile signing.
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #157 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 13:27:52 »

I can recall when Curran signed that Wellens stated that this deal was already in place before I came in. Wonder if the same applied to Broadbent, even if it involved Wellens having the final say and thinking at the time that there was enough quality in Broadbent to make him a worthwhile signing.

Broadbent said that Wellens had persuaded him to sign by telling him that he would play him, so seems unlikely that he's not a Wellens signing. I'd suggest this may have more to do with the 'personal issues' that led to him being dropped at the end of last season, and perhaps his head is in the wrong place.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 14:02:51 »

I think that goes down as a very productive friendly match in many ways.  Good workout - now just chain some of the Chelsea players to the dressing room.

Conversely it could be argued that sticking out a Saturday starting XI and trying to win the game, could have been useful in terms of the need to improve the home form. Saturday is a biggy.... Wellens has a 100% losing record v Cumbrians and that needs to change asap.

How difficult in terms of actually winning is shown by the fact that in my  57 seasons, in only 7 have we won the first 2. 63/64... 90/91... 92/93.... 95/96.... 97/98... 02/03 .... 06/07  of those 3 were promotion seasons, 3 turned to poor but not relegated and 63/64, fell away to lower mid table.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 14:16:29 »

I’m sorry, Reg, but what happened, or didn’t happen, in years gone by has no impact on the future.

You were predicting similar impending doom before the Scunthorpe game based on previous disasters.

Similarly, if we do win against Carlisle it doesn’t presage a promotion. Every game is its own little bubble.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 15:37:15 »

I’m sorry, Reg, but what happened, or didn’t happen, in years gone by has no impact on the future.

You were predicting similar impending doom before the Scunthorpe game based on previous disasters.

Similarly, if we do win against Carlisle it doesn’t presage a promotion. Every game is its own little bubble.

Outcomes are the result of circumstances.... in this case football matches played between usually the same number of players on a pitch usually roughly the same dimensions, at the same level. These will be the base circumstances but there are of course then variations, different players, different gaffers weather etc.  As a result historical outcomes tell you something, in this case how difficult it is to win the first 2 games. That's all.

Further if you look at the gaffers who achieved 2 opening wins, you find Bert Head, achieved promotion, Ossie Ardiles achieved promotion (sort of), Hoddle achieved promotion,  McMahon x2, achieved promotion, King had one good season, and Wise/Poyet, whose good initial run set things up for promotion.  They didn't necessarily achieve 2 wins in a promo season, but it is suggestive of competence at least, and interesting that some of our less successful gaffers never achieved it.

Indeed beating Carlisle wouldn't mean promotion.... but it would be a small indicator of possibly better times ahead, nothing more at this point.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 15:45:55 »

Surely the only variable is who those 2 teams happen to be. It’s no more difficult, or easy, to win any combination of 2 games throughout a season than it is the opening 2 games.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #162 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 15:51:45 »

Indeed beating Carlisle wouldn't mean promotion.... but it would be a small indicator of possibly better times ahead, nothing more at this point.
Just as losing to them will not be the end of the season nor a harbinger of doom.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 15:59:18 »

On a completely different tack. iFollow say 70% of the money spent on watching your team via them goes directly to the club.

Always wondered.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 16:01:47 »

Bloody hell Reg, are you feeling ok ?.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: