Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Why are there so many wankers in the world currently?  (Read 21433 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« on: Monday, August 5, 2019, 10:41:44 »

Theo Robinson the victim of racism after playing 57 mins for Southend on Saturday...from Southend supporters.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, August 5, 2019, 10:42:57 »

Interesting that he started. Bennett played the full 90 for the gasheads too.

Really shameful though. I wouldn't put it past some of our supporters to do something similar. Every club has idiots and they seem to be coming out of the woodwork in the past few years. Wonder why?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, August 5, 2019, 10:48:43 »

Cyrus Christie reported that his sister and her partner was subject to racist and physical abuse by football fans on Saturday.

Rangers fans managed to break an area where Disabled people sit at Kilmarnock and there is a video doing the rounds of Liverpool and other fans (not sure of specific clubs, not sure its relevant) fighting on the tube.

As Tails says, it seems that its been getting worse and I do fear that fans are going to be killed this year in mindless violence. People are angrier than ever.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #3 on: Monday, August 5, 2019, 11:01:03 »

It does seem to be getting worse, not sure what or if there is a trigger to it.

I know the government studies have said that cases of racism and xenophobia have risen since the Brexit vote, I think thats too encompassing and there must be something else.

Or is racism regressing to how it was in the 60 and 70s again.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, August 5, 2019, 11:01:39 »

Interesting that he started. Bennett played the full 90 for the gasheads too.

Really shameful though. I wouldn't put it past some of our supporters to do something similar. Every club has idiots and they seem to be coming out of the woodwork in the past few years. Wonder why?
Because some politicians, and some elements of the media, have started to re-normalise behaviour that had become unacceptable.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, August 5, 2019, 11:11:40 »

It does seem to be getting worse, not sure what or if there is a trigger to it.

I know the government studies have said that cases of racism and xenophobia have risen since the Brexit vote, I think thats too encompassing and there must be something else.

Or is racism regressing to how it was in the 60 and 70s again.

Probably not the right thread for this but I'm sure Donald's Trump's rhetoric and the El Paso shooter over the weekend randomly killing hispanic people cannot be dismissed as coincidence.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #6 on: Monday, August 5, 2019, 11:14:51 »

Probably not the right thread for this but I'm sure Donald's Trump's rhetoric and the El Paso shooter over the weekend randomly killing hispanic people cannot be dismissed as coincidence.
Trump and his mate Farage have made public racism seemingly acceptable I would suggest. Anyway thats for the Politics thread Smiley

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, August 5, 2019, 11:20:21 »

Trump and his mates Johnson and Farage have made public racism seemingly acceptable I would suggest. Anyway thats for the Politics thread Smiley

Changed for you
Flashheart

« Reply #8 on: Monday, August 5, 2019, 11:32:05 »

The press right-wing press, and people that accept their bullshit without questioning it.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, August 5, 2019, 11:34:25 »

If this is going to take off as a discussion in it's own right, should probably be moved to a new thread. It's an interesting discussion, but perhaps not wholly relevant to casual browsers wondering what Michael Pook's up to these days Smiley
Peter Venkman

« Reply #10 on: Monday, August 5, 2019, 11:39:28 »

If this is going to take off as a discussion in it's own right, should probably be moved to a new thread. It's an interesting discussion, but perhaps not wholly relevant to casual browsers wondering what Michael Pook's up to these days Smiley

RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, August 5, 2019, 11:48:06 »

It is extremely worrying. However, I do not think there is a direct link between the words of mad politicians and the actions of mad individuals.  Individuals have to take responsibility for themselves - especially in the US context where people choose to own guns.  (Yes, there should be changes in gun laws, and for Farage to start talking about loosening the gun laws here is irresponsible lunacy.)  What these politicians of the right are doing is making the language of hatred and violence (including state-sponsored violence) just humdrum everyday normality.  And that provides the context in which the horror of the weekend takes place.....and ordinary people become less and less shocked each time it happens.
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, August 5, 2019, 11:59:56 »

The other way to look at it is that there are still the same amount of wankers and wankiness going on, yet due to social media and everyone having a 4k camera on them we see it on a day to day basis more than we used to.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, August 5, 2019, 12:00:06 »

It is extremely worrying. However, I do not think there is a direct link between the words of mad politicians and the actions of mad individuals.  Individuals have to take responsibility for themselves - especially in the US context where people choose to own guns.  (Yes, there should be changes in gun laws, and for Farage to start talking about loosening the gun laws here is irresponsible lunacy.)  What these politicians of the right are doing is making the language of hatred and violence (including state-sponsored violence) just humdrum everyday normality.  And that provides the context in which the horror of the weekend takes place.....and ordinary people become less and less shocked each time it happens.
Might not be a direct link but in exactly the way you describe, the words/actions of the press and politicans act as enablers and motivators for the extreme views which then become extreme actions. Trump's staff spent a good portion of the weekend deleting the many tweets from his Twitter feed in which he had described Hispanic immigrants as "invaders".
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, August 5, 2019, 12:21:53 »

Clearly individuals are responsible for their own actions, and there are always going to be people who are unbalanced.

What has happened recently is that some of the guard rails have been removed - Trump hasn't created any more killers than any other President before him, but he has enabled those who have these types of thoughts to feel free to espouse them.  View some comments on places like Breitbart, and while many are law abiding right leaning individuals, you'll have plenty with a lot of sympathy for the El Paso killer, in so far as as "understanding his frustrations".  Plenty of talk about how it's a Civil War, time to take a stand etc.  Add in some readers being more persuadable and readily accessible tools of killing, bingo.

It has always happened, there is no golden age, humans weaknesses are hardly new, we are just making it easier for them.  The 2nd Amendment discussion over here is very odd to an outsider, but you have to understand the history to have any chance of changing it.  Time has moved on, what were "Arms" in the 18th Century were unlikely to cause this type of devastation (the second mass shooting was less than a minute, in 1700's he'd have got one round off and been shot while reloading).  BUT, you are not going to suddenly convince a Nation that s built on populous being able to overthrow unruly masters that it is time to come willingly.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: