Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scunthorpe v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 88229 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #480 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 12:22:20 »

God that was dire, John Trollope, Ken Beamish, shudder at the thought. Lou Mac and his fitness regime won us many matches in the last 15 minutes, cue a statto to reveal otherwise. So I shall caveat that by suggesting it did seem like it. Though I suspect he knew at our level he had to toil with players from the bottom of the barrel and make a silk purse from a sows ear.
That Beamish season was awful, Trollope tried to get us playing football but we had no killer edge.

Macari got the team fit and playing as a unit. Everyone wanted to be part of it and it showed. They had a togetherness I have never seen at Swindon before or since.

Limited by the players available rather than buying a team to play a certain way, Macari got the best out of the side rather than buying a side to play a certain style. A formation fitting the players already here and not players fitting a formation.

Yes we had a few good players like Calderwood and Kamara but in the main he just got the best out of the players we had rather than just getting new players in.

He had the basis of the same team with 8 players there from the previous season in Barnard, Cole, Coyne, Gordon, Henry, Rowland, Ramsey and Hockaday so he also had continuity.

I too remember us winning lots of games with late goals but yes it was probably our poor memory rather than being a fact!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #481 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 12:25:34 »

Seems there was a huge amount of confidence from the Scunny fans before the game. Those predictions (4-0 home win, 3-1 home win) are highly amusing.

I particularly enjoyed the post-match comment that "Swindon came for a point"  
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #482 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 12:27:33 »

Lincoln, in a strange way, benefitted from years of being dreadful. Suddenly when they started winning, it invigorated the whole city. Their crowds quadrupled. They won't accept its shit football, but then when you've spent 5 years in non league you probably don't care.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #483 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 12:44:26 »

Lincoln, in a strange way, benefitted from years of being dreadful. Suddenly when they started winning, it invigorated the whole city. Their crowds quadrupled. They won't accept its shit football, but then when you've spent 5 years in non league you probably don't care.
Bang on.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #484 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 12:54:01 »

I’ve got a lot of time for Lincoln and, to an extent, Luton - cos I hate them.

Can’t deny the power of momentum, though. If Wellens can generate 50% of the energy that Macari did, on and off the pitch, we are on a winner.

Get this club kick started on the pitch, get the stadium revamp laid out for people to see and maybe, just maybe, the good old times will return.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #485 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 13:02:50 »

I too remember us winning lots of games with late goals but yes it was probably our poor memory rather than being a fact!

Yes it is.... 9 scored in the last 10 minutes out of 82 for the season, and a few of those were when we already well ahead. The template for success, was more based on scoring early and then seeing it out.... unsurprising as CC was an all time great back there.

PdC employed a similar template especially at fortress CG.... interestingly another 9 in the last 10 out of 75.   His defence was even more parsimonious than Lou's.

What is important is being able to pluck the occasional last gasp winner in a clutch game.... can do marvellous things to morale.  So for example CC's winner v Exeter at Oct 1st, halted a run of three loses and saw us only lose a further 3 all season.  AMc at Cobbs, NYE, saw us then win a further 9 straight.

Interestingly if you look at a fairly mediocre season like last year, we managed 12 out of 59 in the last 10.... suggestive perhaps of chasing games rather than having a winning template, so scoring late goals maybe not a good sign.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 13:24:52 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #486 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 13:16:08 »

I doubt Lincoln's model provides a template for success much beyond L1, and both they and Luton will struggle to maintain the good times (like us) because they don;t really have the infrastructure behind them to sustain it at that the Championship level these days.  Not impossible, but highly improbable.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #487 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 13:21:13 »

I doubt Lincoln's model provides a template for success much beyond L1, and both they and Luton will struggle to maintain the good times (like us) because they don;t really have the infrastructure behind them to sustain it at that the Championship level these days.  Not impossible, but highly improbable.

Luton are moving to new ground, next year 17,500 capacity, could be enough for Div 2.
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #488 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 19:59:56 »

Luton are moving to new ground, next year 17,500 capacity, could be enough for Div 2.
Boscombe utd are holding their own in the prem with a sub 12.000 capacity.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #489 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 08:56:38 »

Quite like the look of Luton's new ground TBH. Some complaints about the design being too basic but it beats an identikit bowl hands down.

https://www.stadiumguide.com/new-luton-town-stadium/
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #490 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 09:36:37 »

Boscombe utd are holding their own in the prem with a sub 12.000 capacity.

More accurately Boscombe Athletic..... Bormuff fans have never been the most vocal, but always quite liked how they'd chant Boscombe, years after ditching the name.  As a kid used to do "trip" in Boscombe, getting the chuffer from Old Town down to Andover onto Southern Region metals.
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #491 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 20:02:46 »

More accurately Boscombe Athletic..... Bormuff fans have never been the most vocal, but always quite liked how they'd chant Boscombe, years after ditching the name.  As a kid used to do "trip" in Boscombe, getting the chuffer from Old Town down to Andover onto Southern Region metals.
Nice
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #492 on: Friday, August 9, 2019, 17:58:59 »

Took my 3 year old to his first game on Saturday. Dug out my 86/87 SB shirt and made him wear it, which pleased me a lot more than him.  He enjoyed the game, although the pre match slush puppy helped (Good place to have a hyper kid).

I was going to take him as a two month baby to pox (H) in the paint cup sept 16, but it didn’t work out. Then thought I’d wait until he was old enough to remember something meaningful (5+?), but the lure of sunny scunny on opening day of season was too much. Took plenty of pics. Wish I had just one from my first game (87 Wigan), but the camera phone was still 25/30 years away.

My dad gave me two options, his team, or my local team (Brum v Town). My son gets the same choice, but given its 2019 he can have his mums team as well, and if he goes with that, he can retire with 100pc record.

Haven’t posted for a good few years on here, but felt like sharing.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #493 on: Friday, August 9, 2019, 18:06:40 »

I took my young son (well he was young then) to Charlton away probably more than 20 years ago. Can’t remember the score, but I do recall a couple of local ‘women’ in the pub who were well scarred up. Looked like both had been glassed at sometime.

I told him to be quiet!
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #494 on: Saturday, August 10, 2019, 16:33:16 »

Would love to see Scunny fans pre/post match thoughts from today.

Sent from my CLT-L09

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34   Go Up
Print
Jump to: