Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scunthorpe v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 88895 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #465 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 10:08:25 »

Terrible in League Two is good enough to win it. Look at Lincoln, they were shite and won the league comfortably. Newport equally awful and got to a PO final.
I agree, you don't have to be good in L2 you just need some consistancy at scoring more goals than the opposition!

If they think we were terrible then a). how terribly shite were they? and b). wait until you face teams like Morecambe, Stevenage and Macclesfield!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Flashheart

« Reply #466 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 10:22:03 »

We were not terrible. There is a lot of room for improvement, but we were not terrible.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 10:26:35 »

Being adequate is usually enough for promotion.  I saw a team that will get promoted if they play like that every week.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 10:36:09 »

I get and agree to a point about being terrible and winning promotion but I still cannot fathom how we have not managed to storm L2 the last two seasons. After all when it comes to being shite and terrible we ought to be up there with the best?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 10:38:17 »

Still need to score goals.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 10:53:20 »

I get and agree to a point about being terrible and winning promotion but I still cannot fathom how we have not managed to storm L2 the last two seasons. After all when it comes to being shite and terrible we ought to be up there with the best?

Too many teams better at being shite than we are.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 11:03:23 »

Too many teams better at being shite than we are.

Me thinks consistency is the key word.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #472 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 11:37:35 »

Look at Lincoln.

Bully teams all over the pitch, outmuscle them, be much fitter than them, play to your strengths...which ironically is the strength of the side.

Put high balls into the box at every chance so that your two 6 foot 4 strikers can win headers, also have your three 6 foot 2 midfielders go in and win headers, bully teams, foul them at every chance.

They don't play attacking football, they dont play passing football, they just hoof it and chase the balls down and get it into the box first chance they get...but they have a system that works for them and the players to play that style, pretty much like Becks Cambridge did in the 80s.

It wins them games but not friends, they are consistant, more than almost any other team in the whole league.

They made their own ground a fortress with their seige mentality, playing a WW2 siren when theres a corner to whip up the crowd and the players.

Its not good to watch but it wins them games.

Some teams, us included, didn't enjoy them bullying us/them and give in too easily, a lot of refs at their home games feel bullied by the crowd trying to intimidate them too and that wins them more penalties than they actually should get.

Personally I dont like the way they play football, its messy and dull but it works for them and wins them games but its never pretty. Their manager is also a complete arse as is his brother the assistant.

Lincoln fans love it, they feel its a them and us scenario and it makes them insular with their Winston Churchill "we will repel all invaders" and make the whole club have a fortress "them and us" mentality.

Fair fucks to them, they wont win any friends along the way, I think they could emulate Luton and go straight up again this year.

Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #473 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 11:45:17 »

Look at Lincoln.

Bully teams all over the pitch, outmuscle them, be much fitter than them, play to your strengths...which ironically is the strength of the side.

Put high balls into the box at every chance so that your two 6 foot 4 strikers can win headers, also have your three 6 foot 2 midfielders go in and win headers, bully teams, foul them at every chance.

They don't play attacking football, they dont play passing football, they just hoof it and chase the balls down and get it into the box first chance they get...but they have a system that works for them and the players to play that style, pretty much like Becks Cambridge did in the 80s.

It wins them games but not friends, they are consistant, more than almost any other team in the whole league.

They made their own ground a fortress with their seige mentality, playing a WW2 siren when theres a corner to whip up the crowd and the players.

Some teams, us included, didn't enjoy them bullying us/them and give in too easily, a lot of refs at their home games feel bullied by the crowd trying to intimidate them too and that wins them more penalties than they actually should get.

Personally I dont like the way they play football, its messy and dull but it works for them and wins them games but its never pretty. Their manager is also a complete arse as is his brother the assistant.

Lincoln fans love it, they feel its a them and us scenario and it makes them insular with their Winston Churchill "we will repel all invaders" and make the whole club have a fortress "them and us" mentality.

Fair fucks to them, they wont win any friends along the way, I think they could emulate Luton and go straight up again this year.

‘pretty much like Becks Cambridge did in the 80s.’

I was thinking exactly the same as I started to read your post but couldn’t remember the managers name, then boom you nailed it for me.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #474 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 11:47:26 »

Not pretty but consistant and consistantly gets results against pampered weaker teams.

Thats "all" you need to get out of this league!

Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #475 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 11:49:17 »

Look at Lincoln.

‘Lincoln fans love it, they feel its a them and us scenario and it makes them insular with their Winston Churchill "we will repel all invaders" and make the whole club have a fortress "them and us" mentality.

Fair fucks to them, they wont win any friends along the way, I think they could emulate Luton and go straight up again this year.‘

Then straight back down. I cannot imagine that succeeding in the championship.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 11:50:54 »

Not pretty but consistant and consistantly gets results against pampered weaker teams.

Thats "all" you need to get out of this league!

Oooo, you throwing down a gauntlet per chance?
Flashheart

« Reply #477 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 11:53:52 »

Lincoln's hoofball is effective.

Flitcroft's hoofball... eugh!!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #478 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 11:54:04 »

Oooo, you throwing down a gauntlet per chance?
No, I would hate to watch games like that!

That would be like Div 4 back in the 1970s all over again, I am happy we don't have to watch that sort of poor quality any more. The closest we got was under Macari who built his side of fitness and strong defence, saying that we never bullied teams but could mix it if needed, we still played some amazing football under him, something you cannot ever say about Lincoln, or that Beck team.

Then straight back down. I cannot imagine that succeeding in the championship.
I agree, but I feel it will get them there this season.

Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 12:02:35 »

No, I would hate to watch games like that!

That would be like Div 4 back in the 1970s all over again, I am happy we don't have to watch that sort of poor quality any more. The closest we got was under Macari who built his side of fitness and strong defence, saying that we never bullied teams but could mix it if needed, we still played some amazing football under him, something you cannot ever say about Lincoln, or that Beck team.
I agree, but I feel it will get them there this season.

God that was dire, John Trollope, Ken Beamish, shudder at the thought. Lou Mac and his fitness regime won us many matches in the last 15 minutes, cue a statto to reveal otherwise. So I shall caveat that by suggesting it did seem like it. Though I suspect he knew at our level he had to toil with players from the bottom of the barrel and make a silk purse from a sows ear.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34   Go Up
Print
Jump to: