Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 34   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scunthorpe v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 89892 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 15:00:02 »

It might take Yates one game to convince town fans Shrug

If he scores a hat trick on debut, like SSP and before him Alan Mayes, incidentally mid week at Rotherham, they'll be convinced.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 15:07:12 »

If you listen to his interviews he indicates that it's more about reasons for the injury player X has had and identifying if it looks likely to reoccur.  Hopefully a bit less of a gamble than you suggest.

Wellens also doesn't seem like a signings for signings sake kind of fellow either so all the players he has brought in must have the required attributes and temperament.

Have you read the Curran piece in the Adver? 

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/17811498.taylor-curran-reveals-honoured-part-richie-wellens-39-long-term-plan-swindon-town-ahead-tomorrow-39-s-scunthorpe-trip/

Things like the dressing room being far better than last season are important for one, especially having listened to the LS interview with Charlie this week - see the difference between 09/10 and 10/11 (Prutton destroying team morale)...
Kinky Tom

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 15:08:07 »

If he scores a hat trick on debut, like SSP and before him Alan Mayes, incidentally mid week at Rotherham, they'll be convinced.

Will 2 do or is that jut not good enough?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 15:08:27 »

I have a free Saturday tomorrow.  Trying to convince myself that an 8 hr round trip to Scuntingthorpe will be worth the effort & expense.  Seen us humped up there recently on two separate occasions as well.  Why is this still tempting me?
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 15:13:02 »

I've made the journey to Gainsborough direct from work this afternoon. Cheap little pub B&B only 10 miles from Scunny, has a suitable boozer been identified for a few pre match?
dogs

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 15:14:16 »

I have a free Saturday tomorrow.  Trying to convince myself that an 8 hr round trip to Scuntingthorpe will be worth the effort & expense.  Seen us humped up there recently on two separate occasions as well.  Why is this still tempting me?

I'd just get it on ifollow and get a few in, works for any result. Though i'm only saying that because I've got a wedding after, otherwise I'd be making the long round trip.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 15:23:56 »

Will 2 do or is that jut not good enough?

Frank Large famously got a brace on debut in 64, but never quite convinced the faithful and was soon gone.

Another brace on debut was Peter Eastoe who instsntly won Town fans over, as he came into a struggling side.

CA took 3 mins on full debut to score.... again the sort of thing to make people say "hello" especially as it got us the win at Brunton Park.
« Last Edit: Friday, August 2, 2019, 15:26:28 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 15:25:29 »

I think you'll find my approach has been consistent all summer.
You're not even consistent from one page to the next. On the broad sweep you are, you consistently predict either mediocrity or relegation. But when you attempt to back that up with "facts", you quickly get found out (e.g. SSP etc) and shift your arguments to suit. You're entitled to your opinions, we all are. But sometimes it wouldn't hurt to admit that you're taking a punt on a hunch like the rest of us rather than present yourself as having a unique perspective based on "facts"
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 15:28:28 »

Frank Large famously got a brace on debut in 64, but never quite convinced the faithful and was soon gone.

CA took 3 mins on full debut to score.... again the sort of thing to make people say "hello" especially as it got us the win at Brunton Park.
Norris scored in the first game at Carlisle. Not many said ‘hello’ to him!

I just don’t understand why any fan of any club can’t have even a little bit of optimism before the start of a new season.

Previous mediocrity is no indicator of future splendiferousness
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 15:28:58 »

I'd just get it on ifollow and get a few in, works for any result. Though i'm only saying that because I've got a wedding after, otherwise I'd be making the long round trip.

Good call.  Decision time will be 09:30/10:00 tomorrow, I guess.
Kinky Tom

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 15:38:52 »

Anyway, who is actually going tomorrow?  I'm heading up with the old man.
Flashheart

« Reply #86 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 15:41:59 »

I just don’t understand why any fan of any club can’t have even a little bit of optimism before the start of a new season.

It doesn't even necessarily need to be optimism. Even 'let's wait and see' is too much to ask from some.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 15:44:50 »

I’d imagine optimism for Macclesfield fans is not getting relegated.

But dragging up historical events as an indicator of future shitness, or even hoping for said shitness, is mind numbing.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 15:51:51 »

You're not even consistent from one page to the next. On the broad sweep you are, you consistently predict either mediocrity or relegation. But when you attempt to back that up with "facts", you quickly get found out (e.g. SSP etc) and shift your arguments to suit. You're entitled to your opinions, we all are. But sometimes it wouldn't hurt to admit that you're taking a punt on a hunch like the rest of us rather than present yourself as having a unique perspective based on "facts"

All I ever do is look at the facts as indicators, and then  make interpretations from there. It doesn't mean they'll be right, as others may wish to see a different interpretation.  I see no "us" just individuals, I ignore some of the attempts at playground bullying.  Like there is an "us"  It's about opinions, and all I do is express mine after careful thought.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 15:56:59 »

People pointing out you might be wrong isn't bullying. Come on, you're better than that.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 34   Go Up
Print
Jump to: