Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 34   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scunthorpe v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 88926 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 12:39:31 »

Pretty sure Sam Parkin came in on trial during a preseason, that turned out alright!

Yep
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 13:16:06 »

Yep

He was a Chelsea player who we paid 50K for... not the out of contract pool, that we're looking in atm
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 13:23:47 »

It's as much about keeping agents happy as it is actually looking at players.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 13:29:31 »

The only position we seem to have struggled in recruitment is a striker.  If we were using that as a basis for the season ahead and specifically the first game, I'd hardly be bleating about the fact we were due to get a pasting at Scunthorpe.  More likely we'd in a tight game without too many goals?

Reg - the last three signings - zero evidence of any state of panic in them, I don't see why you think that.  Isgrove we wanted but were not sure on fitness - he was told a deal was his to lose.  Lyden filled a spot Wellens decided he needed once Rose & McGlip were both injured but wasn't originally a priority.  The lad from Norwich - we have no idea, we got not clue he was on our radar but Wellens did make some mention about a few players not signing until later in the summer.  Maybe Norwich told us to wait until they had decided what they were doing with him??

The last 3 signings made 17 league starts between them in 18/19.... maybe not panic, but there has to be a big ? whether they're robust enough for an attritional Div 4 campaign.

Add in Rose and it is just isn't convincing.  OK injuries can happen to anyone, but I fail to see how you're convinced these are the men identified to get us upwardly mobile.  However the last 2 seasons you've said we should get into the PO's easily, but haven't.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 13:31:02 »

441 advance tickets sold for tomorrow. Expect a total approaching 600.

Excellent turnout for our first 3 points of the season.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 13:49:25 »

The last 3 signings made 17 league starts between them in 18/19.... maybe not panic, but there has to be a big ? whether they're robust enough for an attritional Div 4 campaign.

Add in Rose and it is just isn't convincing.  OK injuries can happen to anyone, but I fail to see how you're convinced these are the men identified to get us upwardly mobile.  However the last 2 seasons you've said we should get into the PO's easily, but haven't.

I’d suggest the line of thinking with regards to getting us upwardly mobile is because people happens to think they are better players than those they are replacing?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 14:04:09 »

He was a Chelsea player who we paid 50K for...
... who'd had a very indifferent season on loan to Northampton the season before, Cobblers fans were only too happy to tell us what a poor signing he was. Exactly the kind of player you'd be describing as "not convincing". Maybe wait and see before you sound the death knell? Matt Heywood is instructive on this, saw him on Twitter the other day saying you can't tell anything about what kind of season you're going to have until you're 6 or so games in. Certainly not in pre-season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 14:24:07 »

I’d suggest the line of thinking with regards to getting us upwardly mobile is because people happens to think they are better players than those they are replacing?

People are of course entitled to their view, the debate is what it's all about expecially pre season.  If people want to think these 3 are the men earmarked to get us up, then fine, not everyone will agree.
REDBUCK

« Reply #68 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 14:26:37 »

Beep, beep, beep
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 14:41:24 »

... who'd had a very indifferent season on loan to Northampton the season before, Cobblers fans were only too happy to tell us what a poor signing he was. Exactly the kind of player you'd be describing as "not convincing". Maybe wait and see before you sound the death knell? Matt Heywood is instructive on this, saw him on Twitter the other day saying you can't tell anything about what kind of season you're going to have until you're 6 or so games in. Certainly not in pre-season.

However SSP did turn out in 40 games for Cobbs, meaning he played in more than  Rose and our 3 newbies combined in 18/19.  It took SSP one game to convince Town fans.

This isn't about predicting how the season might pan out.... 6 games is way too few, anyway. 

Rather it is a response to trying to answer RobT's question as to why several posters feel we might get a tonking.....
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 14:44:13 »

This isn't about predicting how the season might pan out.... 6 games is way too few, anyway. 

Mostly a different XI..... after a good start to pre-season on the recruitment front it went a bit pear shaped, with missed targets, and a raft of trialists of dubious provenance.  This has seemingly lead to a squad not looking fit for auto, which should be the aim, with a massive hole still up front ( we still hope for that to be rectified, but going into tomorrow it hasn't)
You should apply for a job with the groundstaff, you shift the goalposts that often.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 14:47:54 »

It might take Yates one game to convince town fans Shrug
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 14:52:49 »

Some free agents turn up for trials, are shit and don't sign.
Some free agents turn up for trials, show some promise, sign and turn out to be shit.
Some free agents turn up for trials, show some promise, sign and turn out to be good.
Some players join through transfer and turn out to be shit.
Some players join through transfer and turn out to be good.
Some players join on loan and turn out to be shit.
Some players join on loan and turn out to be good.

Have I missed anything?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 14:53:41 »

some free players turn up, look shit, get released then play well for someone else (Freddie Eastwood)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 14:57:40 »

You should apply for a job with the groundstaff, you shift the goalposts that often.

I think you'll find my approach has been consistent all summer... aim: autos. Intent needed in recruitment to reflect this. Off to a good start with targets identified, and coming in good time for pre-season work.

Reservations expressed about the likelihood of alleged "marquee" targets being doable, given budget and recent record, hence Wellens as a rookie gaffer in his first summer, may well come up against, what he wants not matching with what he can get.... and I'd say thus far that has been the case. 

This seems to have prompted his compromise of getting players with dodgy fitness records who perhaps when fully firing could have some quality about them. It's a big risk, but may bring reward. However hand on heart, I cannot in all honesty say it looks like a proper shot at what is needed.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 34   Go Up
Print
Jump to: