Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 34   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scunthorpe v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 89036 times)
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 05:20:38 »

We've improved as a team under Wellens, with higher pressing and quicker closing down. With the addition of improved players, I think we're in for a good season and should easily make the playoffs.

Avoid defeat against Scunthorpe would be a good start.

1-1
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 08:08:18 »

After the Carlisle game, the team under Wellens only lost by two goals twice for the remainder of the season.  How come people think we'll get a drubbing?

Mostly a different XI..... after a good start to pre-season on the recruitment front it went a bit pear shaped, with missed targets, and a raft of trialists of dubious provenance.  This has seemingly lead to a squad not looking fit for auto, which should be the aim, with a massive hole still up front ( we still hope for that to be rectified, but going into tomorrow it hasn't)

Further we again seem to have quite a few around the squad who aren't to be used.... like Keshi.  I think this leads people to think, the XI of many new players might be a bit skin deep, and perhaps a little flaky when the pressure of a grim Lincolnshire bombardment comes on... bit like last season at Sincil Bank.   I can see why people think it.... doesn't mean it will transpire mind.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 08:57:42 »

Did Wellens say he wouldn't use Anderson then? He's transfer-listed but I don't recall reading that he wouldn't be used, if required. Same goes for the other transfer-listed players.

So, getting Isgrove, Lyden and the Norwich lad in the last few days equates to it going pear shaped on the recruitment front.....😁

As for the "trialists of dubious provenance" is that not the same as every other team and every other season? Who are you referring to anyway?
Flashheart

« Reply #33 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 08:59:57 »

Did Wellens say he wouldn't use Anderson then? He's transfer-listed but I don't recall reading that he wouldn't be used, if required.

He's actually said quite the opposite. I think it was on the recent phone-in that he said he will be used as needed.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #34 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 09:07:27 »

Wellens did say he wanted a fee for Anderson but wouldn't stand in his way if a good career move came along.

He praised his, and the other 2 transfer listed players attitudes (the other 2 we will not want a fee for), I am not sure that Anderson would be the right frame of mind to play for the 1st team but he could well be an option, playing for a move may bring something more out of him which 3 previous managers couldn't get from him.

I think if Wellens saw a desire in Anderson then he would play him.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 09:23:23 »

1. Did Wellens say he wouldn't use Anderson then? He's transfer-listed but I don't recall reading that he wouldn't be used, if required. Same goes for the other transfer-listed players.

2. So, getting Isgrove, Lyden and the Norwich lad in the last few days equates to it going pear shaped on the recruitment front.....😁

3. As for the "trialists of dubious provenance" is that not the same as every other team and every other season? Who are you referring to anyway?

1. Publically putting a player on the list isn't a ringing endorsement and I'll use them as a last resort isn't likely to get the best out of someone... it very much suggests he'll use others before any of the transfer listed 3.

2. Given their lack of games in recent times, it does suggest, getting in bodies because we have to, rather than them being clearly identified targets, likely to drive an auto push.

3. I don't know what others do, but I can't really think of anybody who we've got in trial and then signed who has been successful.   Perhaps you can. 

Watching Afcon recently, I was minded that winners Algeria had Rais M'Bholi in goal who we had on trial under Sturrock as a 20 year old, still only 33 and very decent keeper. We didn't sign him.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 09:26:32 »

First game of the  season. You always get freak results somewhere, making predictions a bit tricky.

Brum aside, we haven't looked too porous. I think it'll be a narrow loss, but will be happy with a draw.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #37 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 09:32:23 »

First game of the  season. You always get freak results somewhere, making predictions a bit tricky.

Brum aside, we haven't looked too porous. I think it'll be a narrow loss, but will be happy with a draw.
I think most of our leakiness vs Brum can be put down to inept goalkeeping.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 10:24:58 »

1. Publically putting a player on the list isn't a ringing endorsement and I'll use them as a last resort isn't likely to get the best out of someone... it very much suggests he'll use others before any of the transfer listed 3.

2. Given their lack of games in recent times, it does suggest, getting in bodies because we have to, rather than them being clearly identified targets, likely to drive an auto push.

3. I don't know what others do, but I can't really think of anybody who we've got in trial and then signed who has been successful.   Perhaps you can. 

Watching Afcon recently, I was minded that winners Algeria had Rais M'Bholi in goal who we had on trial under Sturrock as a 20 year old, still only 33 and very decent keeper. We didn't sign him.
1. It's pretty bleeding obvious that he'll players others first but they are still available if necessary. But you claimed they won't be used. Facts....remember.

2. I've got no idea who you are talking about or what point you are responding to.

3. Why are you asking that? I was querying your statement that we had a load of trialists of dubious provenance not how succesful previous trialists have been. My point is that we have done nothing different to any other year or any other club.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 10:56:30 »

1. It's pretty bleeding obvious that he'll players others first but they are still available if necessary. But you claimed they won't be used. Facts....remember.

2. I've got no idea who you are talking about or what point you are responding to.

3. Why are you asking that? I was querying your statement that we had a load of trialists of dubious provenance not how succesful previous trialists have been. My point is that we have done nothing different to any other year or any other club.

1. So you agree they won't be used unless in an emergency..

2. Lyden, Isgrove and Jaiyesimi as per your point.

3. Presumably the point of recruitment is to end up with a squad that will get you up.  Whatever we've done in recent years recruitment wise hasn't really worked outside of the TT link.... therefore repeating past procedures doesn't bode well.   I wanted to see, a continuation of the Yates scenario.... whereby Wellens says he was his top target and managed to land him for the season. Similarly Devitt, Mayor, Maynard, Robinson and Bennett were identified, but sadly not landed, hence the trialists..... fellas with no club.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #40 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 10:59:41 »

3. I don't know what others do, but I can't really think of anybody who we've got in trial and then signed who has been successful. 

Charlie Austin
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 11:07:08 »

Charlie Austin

I have no recall of CA trialling in a pre-season friendly.... Cherno Samba, yes.

My recall is that Fitton knew him from Hungerford and we paid 50 grand to Poole, after Bormuff couldn't do the deal as they had an umbongo.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #42 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 11:16:22 »

Not a preseason trial, but a trial none the less.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/14021874.in-depth-withcharlie-austin/

Quote from: Charlie Austin
“I trained with Bournemouth for six weeks and did all my pre-season and then I went to Swindon for a week’s trial and scored against Swansea,” explained Austin.

Interesting to note he also had a trial with us before he went to Hungerford, but was injured.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 11:29:19 »

Thomas Dossevi Reg?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 11:32:46 »

Not a preseason trial, but a trial none the less.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/14021874.in-depth-withcharlie-austin/

Interesting to note he also had a trial with us before he went to Hungerford, but was injured.

I was talking about these pre season trials.... in that season CA came we trialled Yan Klukowski, who scored 3 but obviously didn't convince so ended up at FGR where he did well, and eventually got some league football at Newport.  He scored against us in the Boycott in 2014.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 34   Go Up
Print
Jump to: