Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Expectations for the season  (Read 43921 times)
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Monday, September 16, 2019, 12:56:28 »

Fucking hell, there are some optimistic people on this forum    Wacko Wacko

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Monday, September 16, 2019, 14:07:08 »

Fucking hell, there are some optimistic people on this forum    Wacko Wacko

There is an irony in your message, you realise  Cheesy

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #122 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 09:33:12 »

I know its a very old thread but I couldn't really remember what people were predicting pre season.

Now after we have won the league officially I have found a few interesting comments, some spot on and some rather wayward, as all predictions are TBH.

Its easy to see the pessimists vs the optimists, I am and always have been a glass half empty but some the glass is always empty....

I don't think there are 7 better squads than ours. So top 7. Top 3 if we can add more goals through striker recruitment over the next few weeks.

This season I have only got us on 50 as I can see a whole load of draws as will not concede many but neither will score many.

Want to be proved entirely wrong!

14th and above

The aim should be autos..... I don't see it in this squad so far.  Anything less is failure, OK you can be pretty average like Newport last season, and get to the PO's, but not the sort of thing good enough for us in Div 4.

With the sicknote recruitment we're relying very much on luck to get the minimum higher than 13th, that will at least represent an improvement on last year.

Should definitely get playoffs. Top 3 may be a push but if we get a good striker in and IF we keep key players fit, every chance

All the so called favourites have question marks against them - it’s why we have just as good a chance as any of them.

Mansfield - rookie boss, first season as a manager

Plymbury - gelling what is essentially 2 separate contingents. Managing the dressing room could be a problem.

Bradford - got no midfield and 2 strikers who have done fuck all for 2 seasons

Exeter - as we know, continually selling your best players catches up with you sooner or later

We’ll piss it!

5th-9th.

Winning the opener on the road is relatively rare and usually portends a decent season.... an exception would be something like 90/91, where after the summer fiasco we won at Charlton, but it fell away.  That was always going to be a strange season.

Winning at Scunny would be very impressive, and unlikely.

I'm a natural pessimist so I'll go for an upper-mid-table finish.

Still, I'm looking forward to the new season and like the cut of Wellens' jib.

My expectation - In or very close to (within a point of) the top 7 all season.

Outside of our fan base we're perceived to be dark horses, and a great each way or top 7 bet.

https://twitter.com/Eamonn88/status/1156264670786965504

Interesting thing for me is we pretty much exclusively signed from the leagues above. Scunny, Northampton and Newport have to a large extent as well. Not sure it means too much, but certainly better than punts on below or the french 3rd division i would suggest.

I'm not sure it does mean much.... getting proven Div 4 players is probably a better route.

Only been 1 match. I don't care- it's our job as football fans to get excited. That's the highs and lows of why we love this game. A new season is new hope.

We still need that 1 striker- just to keep it challenging up top and offer a plan b. But that aside I'm loving this SQUAD. Haven't been able to say that for many many seasons. Strength in depth.

Those goals yesterday were a joy to watch. Our expectations when playing in League 2 should and always have to be promotion.

Lots to be positive about this season and I predict an 8th - 10th place finish.

Positive? And that’s the best you can come up with? Another season of failure?

I don't regard that as a season of failure.  I am comfortable with the fact that div 4 (or the lower end of div 3 if we win promotion at some point) represents STFC's place in the football pyramid.  Of course, a change in ownership/investment may change that - but I suspect that this is unlikely happen in the near future.

Presently I think Plymouth, Bradford, Exeter, Mansfield, Colchester, Walsall, FGR, Salford and Newport look potentially more capable of maintaining a challenge over a whole season, which would leave us 10th, but lots can change between now and May.

Still feels life a promotion season, as it did after game 1.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 09:39:11 »

I reckon my ‘We’ll piss it’ wins this prediction league. Not too bad with Bradford, Mansfield and Exeter predictions either
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 09:48:27 »

I was right 
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 09:55:39 »

I reckon my ‘We’ll piss it’ wins this prediction league. Not too bad with Bradford, Mansfield and Exeter predictions either

Spot on....apart from the bit about Bradford strikers being shit.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #126 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 09:56:01 »

I was right  
Cheesy thats like saying top half finish Wink technically correct although it was a 50/50 guess!

Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 09:58:45 »

I remember going all in on the ‘Wellens is a fraud and we’ll be mid table” take in around September/October 😎

Things get better but they never get good

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 10:10:48 »

Spot on....apart from the bit about Bradford strikers being shit.

Donaldson and Vaughan? Proper shite, both.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #129 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 10:11:45 »

I have to be honest, I wanted and hoped for play offs but thought we were a striker away from the play offs, turns out we were a striker away from the championship!

Doyles goals won us the title, with a lot of help from the rest of the team of course!

When Wellens came I was massively uninspired by his appointment, I won't lie but I thought he was the cheap option with little track record and that we were in for a long struggle with him at the helm. I was willing to give him time but was pretty much against his appointment, not helped by getting stuffed by Carlisle at home 4-0 in his debut game in charge.

I will be the first to put my hand up and say that I was wrong about him, we are playing some great football, as good as any Town team and he has made some amazing signings, long may it continue.

For me this has the feel of Swindon under Macari, 1st season didn't go to plan but we picked up some good results and finished strongly in 8th (we finished 9th under Wellens 1st season).....2nd season we stormed(*) to the title in div 4 (we won the league under Wellens by comparion), in the 3rd season we finished 4rd and won promotion by beating Gills in the play offs in Div 3, 4th season we consolidated in Div 2 finishing half way then the 2 seasons after we finished 6th and 4th getting beat in the play offs by Palace.

I am hoping that under Wellens we can achieve a similar climb up the leagues.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 10:17:45 »

The thing is - and it may just be the usual manager speak - but Wellens has said, more than once, about the potential of STFC - cemented by our home game v Exeter.

We’ll see soon enough if things are not going right behind the scenes as Wellens will be off. From his statements so far he seems unfazed by what’s going/gone on in the boardroom and I presume he must have had some sort of guarantee of future expectations even allowing for Covid-19 throwing a spanner in the works. Players signing new contracts is also a good sign.

Getting my prediction in early for any new season - we’ll piss it!
Flashheart

« Reply #131 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 10:20:37 »

Getting my prediction in early for any new season - we’ll piss it!

FUCK YEAH!!!

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 10:34:20 »

I've had a pop e/w. Have no idea or expectations though

Happy to collect from the bookies yesterday. I'll do us E/W again next season too.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 10:45:06 »

There's no reason to suggest we wouldn't be at least looking at playoffs next season.
We've got the nucleus of a talented, settled squad and momentum is so important to form.
If we can get Doyle, Yates and Jaiyesimi back next season i'd be confident of a good season.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 10:45:47 »

I am more than happy that my prediction, based on recent seasons, was wrong.  Similarly, I hope that STFC challenge the top half of league one if/when it starts again.

Nothing to see here
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: