Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Expectations for the season  (Read 44237 times)
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 12:08:30 »

promotion was my great hope.

Agree with JJ that this has a bit of a special feeling to it ref Macari years.

Everybody knew PDC was going to leave...one way or another...

Clems Army!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 13:00:57 »

Wellens has done the business.

I wasn’t sold based on his previous with Oldham. I know it’s not an expect science but (as Wellens himself proves) but once most managers fail and get sacked they just go on failing and getting sacked. It might sound stupid but I’d have been more in favour of Wellens if this was his first job...but...I guess the Oldham spell gave him some experience to make a much better go at the second job.

My only concern for next season - is currently a lot of our squad are out of contract / returning to their clubs. I’d have been fairly confident of decent upper mid table finish next season with our current squad but in theory half the team could be gone...if the large majority do come back, then we could be onto something
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 13:06:29 »

As per my prediction I fully expected promotion this season.

Wellens has been phenomenal but the real work starts now. I started going regular in 2003 so have never seen us play in The Championship. For me that is the holy grail and where this club should always aspire to be.

Been thinking about it since promotion was confirmed and am getting excited about football again knowing we are potentially a good season away from getting to that level. Can Wellens be the one that gets us there again?

Thank fuck we're out of League 2.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 13:12:50 »

Still feels life a promotion season, as it did after game 1.

Still does. :-)

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
ahounsell

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 13:26:53 »

There's no reason to suggest we wouldn't be at least looking at playoffs next season.
We've got the nucleus of a talented, settled squad and momentum is so important to form.
If we can get Doyle, Yates and Jaiyesimi back next season i'd be confident of a good season.

I'd agree with that but would add Grant to the list of players we need to see back.

At this point we have no idea how league one (or any division) is going to look or even when next season will actually start. With so many players out of contract it could be the most wide open season for years.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 13:48:44 »

Only been 1 match. I don't care- it's our job as football fans to get excited. That's the highs and lows of why we love this game. A new season is new hope.

We still need that 1 striker- just to keep it challenging up top and offer a plan b. But that aside I'm loving this SQUAD. Haven't been able to say that for many many seasons. Strength in depth.

Those goals yesterday were a joy to watch. Our expectations when playing in League 2 should and always have to be promotion.

well we got that 1 extra striker! Thank you mr doyle
Flashheart

« Reply #141 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 13:50:32 »

I wonder how much some of our players have left.

Grant is 33
Doyle is 32
Baudry is 32
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #142 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 13:54:06 »

I wonder how much some of our players have left.

Grant is 33
Doyle is 32
Baudry is 32
Difficult to tell as players stay fit a lot longer now than ever before. But I doubt any of them can do more than 1 or at most 2 more seasons at L1 level IMO.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 14:04:00 »

Quote from: Batch
As we stand, top 7 is the aim (IMO) but I really don't know. We haven't signed anyone I know much about, nor have we signed anyone I think 'great signing on paper'.

We all know we need goals. We all know we have some players who have had their injury woes.

we got goals, we covered injuries.

eieieio
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 14:11:04 »

Fuck consolidation. Play-offs, minimum. The only fly, well albatross in the ointment actually, is the behind the scenes shenanigans. That said, those people with money in the club one way or another ought to be able to see that there is a very valuable asset in the making. Support Wellens and the team with the right back up and you’ll see you investment back handsomely. Just hope it does not got tits up like the Black/Di Canio saga.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 14:19:07 »

I'd agree with that but would add Grant to the list of players we need to see back.

At this point we have no idea how league one (or any division) is going to look or even when next season will actually start. With so many players out of contract it could be the most wide open season for years.

Of course I include Grant in next years squad, from his recent Loathed Strangers podcast it's almost certain he'll be here next season. Fingers crossed anyway.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 14:19:52 »

Fuck consolidation. Play-offs, minimum. The only fly, well albatross in the ointment actually, is the behind the scenes shenanigans. That said, those people with money in the club one way or another ought to be able to see that there is a very valuable asset in the making. Support Wellens and the team with the right back up and you’ll see you investment back handsomely. Just hope it does not got tits up like the Black/Di Canio saga.
I think one thing we can say with absolute confidence is that Lee Power is no Andrew Black, and nor is Wellens a Di Canio.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 14:37:49 »

Promotion, by any means.

Ardiles knew.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 14:50:54 »

Ardiles knew.
And Mystic Tails
In this league, promotion is the minimum we should be aiming for.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 15:04:37 »

https://www.thetotallyfootballshow.com/from-the-podcasts/swindons-richie-wellens-celebrating-with-tomato-soup-why-doyle-mustnt-work-hard/
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: