Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Coventry City FRIENDLY  (Read 18256 times)
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Monday, July 29, 2019, 11:43:10 »

What sort of midfielder is he?
When he came on he sat in a 2 with Doughty but made some good runs forward and played a couple of decent through balls that led to potential opportunities. Seems quite mobile as well and stuck in a couple of solid standing tackles. I was quite impressed with what I saw, which was only 25 mins tbf.

Sent from my CLT-L09

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Monday, July 29, 2019, 11:45:39 »

What was the kebab gate scandal?

I was reading something somewhere about him on twitter with Vigs ?

I'm sure Keshi will get another club he's a tricky winger with no end product a manager may see he can coach him to score but suppose it depends what wages he's on and what he wants elsewhere.

It is slightly concerning that Wellens seems to be going through the squad and wanting out the big money earners so he can increase his budget, is his budget that bad ?
Flashheart

« Reply #77 on: Monday, July 29, 2019, 11:53:28 »

Why does it have to mean a 'bad' budget? Why can't it be a decent budget that is largely taken up by dead wood?
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Monday, July 29, 2019, 11:54:19 »

Why does it have to mean a 'bad' budget? Why can't it be a decent budget that is largely taken up by dead wood?

That is how I see it, dead wood tied up.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Monday, July 29, 2019, 11:55:57 »

Francophone.... therefore experience tells us should be avoided.

I reckon this is a complete list of all the Francophones who've played for us. One or two had good careers, but quite a few speculative misses that you'd expect from players you haven't scouted long-term. Which might be a bigger factor than their French-speaking origins. I think my favourite was Cuervo.

Darras - Comminges - Noubissié - Jean-François - Traoré - Cuervo - Diagouraga - Nalis - Robert - Balmy - Ruster - Zaaboub - N'Diaye - Kerrouche - Péricard - Dossevi - Sabin - N'Guessan - Téhoué - Razak - Bouazza

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Monday, July 29, 2019, 11:57:07 »

That is how I see it, dead wood tied up.

Not even dead wood. Just we have cheaper options now, and need to spend the wage elsewhere (up top).

Bloody frustrating though if that's the case (out before in). I don't blame the players, or the club really.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #81 on: Monday, July 29, 2019, 12:17:00 »

Not even dead wood. Just we have cheaper options now, and need to spend the wage elsewhere (up top).

Bloody frustrating though if that's the case (out before in). I don't blame the players, or the club really.
Nobody is really to blame, thats just the way of lower league football (and football in general), players can't come in until unwanted players leave, otherwise you end up like Bolton and Bury having wages far exceeding income.

We signed the players on good wages and they all either had a decent reputation or we thought they would develop into decent players. For whatever reason they haven't is not the club or really the players fault, thats football.

Its just that our budget is much tighter than some clubs so we can afford to have less "deadwood" in the squad.

Bradford seem desperate to offload Doyle who is apparently on similar wages to 3 first team players, even Man City cannot sign any more players until they offload some players that are not wanted.

I also don't blame the players for not wanting to leave for clubs paying less money as this is their livlihood and football careers are in the main quite short.

The only solution is what Salford have done and injected funds to cover new signings and upping the budget, even as a short term thing to allow the manager to bring in the players he wants while having the unwanted players still on the books.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Monday, July 29, 2019, 13:58:45 »

I reckon this is a complete list of all the Francophones who've played for us. One or two had good careers, but quite a few speculative misses that you'd expect from players you haven't scouted long-term. Which might be a bigger factor than their French-speaking origins. I think my favourite was Cuervo.

Darras - Comminges - Noubissié - Jean-François - Traoré - Cuervo - Diagouraga - Nalis - Robert - Balmy - Ruster - Zaaboub - N'Diaye - Kerrouche - Péricard - Dossevi - Sabin - N'Guessan - Téhoué - Razak - Bouazza

I reckon you could add Claude Gnapka and Pat Kanyuka to that list *shudder*

One or two of those, looked OK for a game or three, and then it seems to be a Gallic Shrug
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Monday, July 29, 2019, 14:02:41 »

I think the budget should cater for a certain amount of built in obselescence... there'll always be 1 or 2 not giving value for money.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Monday, July 29, 2019, 14:05:38 »

I reckon you could add Claude Gnapka and Pat Kanyuka to that list *shudder*

One or two of those, looked OK for a game or three, and then it seems to be a Gallic Shrug

Yes, well spotted. You could just about make a decent attack-minded 11 out of that. Not sure it's any worse than any random 11 of the last 20 years. But yes, few of them seemed to want to make Swindon their long-term home. Incroyable!  French

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Monday, July 29, 2019, 14:07:12 »

I think the budget should cater for a certain amount of built in obselescence... there'll always be 1 or 2 not giving value for money.

That's true. But it is more that 3 earners can't take up 25%* of your budget when its already tight and they've already been replaced.

*or whatever
=================
At this stage it seems SNAFU in the striker department. Which may not be true, but since its been an issue for a few seasons now I'll believe we'll get a good striker when the scarf is held aloft.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Monday, July 29, 2019, 14:13:35 »

That's true. But it is more that 3 earners can't take up 25%* of your budget when its already tight and they've already been replaced.

*or whatever
=================
At this stage it seems SNAFU in the striker department. Which may not be true, but since its been an issue for a few seasons now I'll believe we'll get a good striker when the scarf is held aloft.

As always best to judge on what happens, or doesn't rather than what is said.... and certainly as things stand this doesn't look like an auto seeking squad.  It's debatable, again as it stands, that we're as strong as the end of last season... you'd like to think we will get in some reinforcements, so that we can at least improve on 13th.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #87 on: Monday, July 29, 2019, 15:12:44 »

Comminges was player of the year
MarkyTee
Expect the unexpected

Que no pare la fiesta

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Monday, July 29, 2019, 15:19:21 »

Comminges was player of the year

The Minge.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Monday, July 29, 2019, 15:30:28 »

Pericard was French, non?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: