Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC v Man Utd XI  (Read 16636 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 07:58:53 »

Only 3 from last season in the starting eleven. Says a lot.

Recruitment has been good.
Can see an overall improvement in quality.
Remains to be seen if they can gel into that "whole is greater than the sum of its parts" type team that is needed to make top three.

However we could have fielded 6 of the side that started v Notts, and if Bennett and Robinson return... 8 would represent some sort of welcome continuity.

I've been thinking about your "whole is greater" thing also.  Atm on the surface, I don't think we have the individuals who look like an auto side, so we have to hope that some sort of alchemy happens betwen those we've got and any that come in now.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 08:01:26 »

Why would we welcome continuity?

We were shit last season
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 08:14:02 »

Why would we welcome continuity?

We were shit last season

When Wellens got to grips with things in the new year, we did show on occasions the makings of a decent side...wins at Franchise, Tranny, Bury standing out.....OK often we were also less than stellar, but sometimes the core of a side can be locked into an efficient whole by a couple of additions, and so transformed.  The 68/69 side had previously been inconsistent, it was the addition of John Smith as playmaker, that turned it into one of our finer sides.

There's little evidence that churning over entire sides each year is a good way of doing things.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 08:31:25 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 08:51:14 »

When Wellens got to grips with things in the new year, we did show on occasions the makings of a decent side...wins at Franchise, Tranny, Bury standing out.....OK often we were also less than stellar, but sometimes the core of a side can be locked into an efficient whole by a couple of additions, and so transformed.  The 68/69 side had previously been inconsistent, it was the addition of John Smith as playmaker, that turned it into one of our finer sides.

There's little evidence that churning over entire sides each year is a good way of doing things.

We were not shit last season....it was a glimmer of light excluding the cup exit debacles.

We were quite good but not great and great sides win leagues or gain promotion.

A need to kick on is required.

Clems Army!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I知 A Scientist.

« Reply #94 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 08:51:55 »

Who was the random dad?
If he was tall and useless and runs around a lot then I would suggest Newell, who did the same vs Brum.

?

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #95 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 08:53:28 »

We were not shit last season....it was a glimmer of light excluding the cup exit debacles.

We were quite good but not great and great sides win leagues or gain promotion.

A need to kick on is required.
I agree, last season we were not shit at all, ok maybe 2 games under Wellens we were shit the rest we were not bad.

We just needed a striker who can score for us to kick on.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 08:57:42 »

One of the first blokes out of the tunnel does look a lot like Anderson TBH.

Surely that's comedian Tony Law?

Peter Venkman

« Reply #97 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 08:58:59 »

Surely that's comedian Tony Law?

Well nobody has commented how Anderson played so there is a good chance it was Tony Law if he didn't make much of an impression!

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 09:00:57 »

If he was tall and useless and runs around a lot then I would suggest Newell, who did the same vs Brum.

I'd assumed it was Newell, purely cos he looked like Mike Newell. Didn't see him against Brum but kind of felt for him a little bit last night - what are you supposed to do with a 5 min cameo at the end of a friendly (other than I guess, get the not so subtle hint about what your prospects of being signed are looking like)? So of course he ran round like a headless chicken, desperate to make an impact. Which he did on at least one Man Utd player.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 09:01:31 »

Well nobody has commented how Anderson played so there is a good chance it was Tony Law if he didn't make much of an impression!
FWIW, I thought he looked quite handy.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #100 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 09:04:51 »

I'd assumed it was Newell, purely cos he looked like Mike Newell. Didn't see him against Brum but kind of felt for him a little bit last night - what are you supposed to do with a 5 min cameo at the end of a friendly (other than I guess, get the not so subtle hint about what your prospects of being signed are looking like)? So of course he ran round like a headless chicken, desperate to make an impact. Which he did on at least one Man Utd player.
Yeah he is the spitting image of his old man, runs around and doesn't get near the ball a lot but was not put in a position in front of goal which could tell you even slightly how good a striker he is. All he did was chase the ball.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #101 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 09:05:09 »

FWIW, I thought he looked quite handy.
Cheers, very quiet about him on here.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 09:13:45 »

Cheers, very quiet about him on here.
I thought there were quite a few positive comments during the game (when I was switching between here and club Twitter in the hope one or the other would give me some clue as to who half the players were!) but may have been wrong. I may also be wrong that he looked quite handy as well tbf Smiley
Peter Venkman

« Reply #103 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 09:16:28 »

Did Anderson play right wing and Isgrove left or visa versa?

Isgrove played the 1st half vs Brum as an out and out right winger and looked poor in that position....but could be wingers constancy curse!

Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 09:34:19 »

Isgrove right. Anderson left. Both did well.

I'm assuming that the elusive striker, as and when he comes in, will be competing with Woolery for a place?
Woolery has done ok with playing back to goal and the occasional direct run, but end product needs to improve.
His pace will cause problems, but will Wellens be able to fit him in if a 'proper' striker comes in.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: