Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Extinction Rebellion 'n' shit.  (Read 10733 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 11:17:02 »

I still blame population, can't see anything reversing that. Think of the carbon footprint from just one person in a lifetime, even when trying to be good.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 11:24:14 »

I still blame population, can't see anything reversing that. Think of the carbon footprint from just one person in a lifetime, even when trying to be good.

So you're in the fuck all we can do about it camp.... might as well have a good time waiting for armageddion  Hmmm
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 11:26:00 »

But not quickly enough. Britain overall is still burning oil for power. We are still using petrol-powered cars. We also need to do more to put pressure on other countries.

I confess my reading regarding the topic is limited to this article only, but seems at first glance to be sensible and another example of talking the talk but not walking the walk and the manner in which Brexit has paralysed our parliamentary system!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49003496

A huge amount of the gases that cause damage come from farming and specifically the rear end of cattle, I read something the other week that suggested this could be reduced significantly just by adding  a little seaweed to their diet, but again people are not doing it because the catastrophe forecast is not within their lifetime. .

« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 11:28:09 by horlock07 » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 11:26:45 »

It is reversible, though. Cut emissions and plant more plants to suck the shit out of the atmosphere, replacing it with oxygen. Of course, that's very much simplified, but nature can do the rest if we do our part. There's even machines in development that can such all the shit out of the air. There's just not enough political/commercial will-power to develop and build them. If the energy companies and other polluters thought they'd make enough from cleaning up their emissions, it would probably have happened already a long time ago.

That's what is so frustrating, we CAN do something about it collectively but most people would rather complain that a bunch of tree huggers are making them late for work.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 11:32:50 »

plant more plants to suck the shit out of the atmosphere, replacing it with oxygen. Of course, that's very much simplified, but nature can do the rest if we do our part.

Thing is this gets the nimby's agitated, the vast majority of the north of England used to be covered in deciduous woodland, however propose to return that and everyone hits the roof about affecting the views of the lakes etc.

Whilst I would hate to get political about it, now would seem the perfect opportunity, the NFU and government now seem to be fairly in agreement that a no deal brexit is going to decimate UK farming so get the land back into woodland use.
Flashheart

« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 11:37:54 »

Thing is this gets the nimby's agitated, the vast majority of the north of England used to be covered in deciduous woodland, however propose to return that and everyone hits the roof about affecting the views of the lakes etc.

Then there's those that say there's no such thing as global warming because it was cold where they are today, and that the scientists (people that are highly qualified and educated in the topic and actually do know what they are talking about) are wrong. 
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 11:40:21 »

Good on them. Hopefully lots of people are waking up and starting to examine their own consumption and make changes.
they're preaching to the wrong people, and you lose the power of persuasion by behaving like fuckwits (criminally).

hopefully many of them will end up in police cells.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 11:46:59 »

Quote from: Flashheart
yet people are concerned about being late for work because people are trying to do something to prevent it?

or missing hospital appointments.
or missing getting to the hospital in time to be with a dying father (as  one caller to radio Bristol did).
or, or..

protest is a vital right. freedom of speech too.

acting unlawfully isn't.

anywho..
Flashheart

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 11:51:13 »

I already expressed my concerns over emergency vehicles not getting through. That much is not right.

Everybody else, however, can go fuck themselves if they want to whine about it. This shit is perhaps the most serious event in man's time on Earth, far more serious than delays on a motorway. And my kids and grandkids will be left living in the mess.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 11:51:58 »

PMQ's sums it up...

Corbyn says time is running out on climate change, and asks why a recent report has said the government is "coasting" on climate change.

Mrs May says "we have a fine record on climate change" ( note no evidence to support)

Theresa May uses her first answer to Jeremy Corbyn to attack the Labour leader over allegations of anti-Semitism. She reads from the peers' letter to the Guardian and - to rising noise levels in the chamber - demands he apologise for not dealing with "racism" in his party.

And climate change is immediately forgotten, why should anyone give a shit, the government clearly doesn't!
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 11:53:49 by horlock07 » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 11:55:22 »

PMQ's sums it up...

Corbyn says time is running out on climate change, and asks why a recent report has said the government is "coasting" on climate change.

Mrs May says "we have a fine record on climate change" ( note no evidence to support)

Theresa May uses her first answer to Jeremy Corbyn to attack the Labour leader over allegations of anti-Semitism. She reads from the peers' letter to the Guardian and - to rising noise levels in the chamber - demands he apologise for not dealing with "racism" in his party.

And climate change is immediately forgotten, why should anyone give a shit, the government clearly doesn't!

And that is why we need people blocking motorways 'n' shit. None of this would be necessary if we could trust our politicians with it.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 11:55:49 »

I already expressed my concerns over emergency vehicles not getting through. That much is not right.

I recalled and a quick google confirmed, ER have a specific policy on the matter;

What is your policy on emergency vehicles?

We have no intention of delaying emergency vehicles and are working with the police to make sure this doesn’t happen.

Giving notice to the police allows plans to be put in place to reroute vehicles.

From https://rebellion.earth/the-truth/faqs/
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 11:57:49 »

PMQ's sums it up...

I watched it and was stunned by the shameless hypocrisy of May. Corbyn was piss-poor though - it took Ian Blackford to call her out on her own appallingly racist past though.....
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 12:14:10 »

I watched it and was stunned by the shameless hypocrisy of May. Corbyn was piss-poor though - it took Ian Blackford to call her out on her own appallingly racist past though.....
Corbyn's a disgrace to shambles everywhere. His abject failure to get hold of either Brexit or more especially the anti-Semitism problem in the party is beyond appalling. No wonder Boris Johnson's looking to call an early election. Though there's some sense from Labour's point of view in letting the Tories win it, and let them own the mess they have created. That's assuming Labour survive much beyond then
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 12:23:36 »

and the net effect of extinction rebellion blocking the M32 will be zero.

every little helps, but with current US policy and China/Asia even the UK becoming carbon neutral is almost pointless.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: