Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Anglo-Italian Cup  (Read 4153 times)
CalcioEngland

Ignore
« on: Saturday, August 31, 2019, 17:58:57 »

Hi - new poster here, apologies if I’ve put this on the wrong thread...

I thought there might be some interest amongst Swindon fans in this article about the Anglo-Italian Cup. This looks at the beginnings of the competition in 1969/70 and the pivotal role played by Swindon;

https://calcioengland.wordpress.com/2019/08/31/the-brutality-and-romance-of-the-anglo-italian-cup-1970-73/

This is part of a month long feature on the Anglo Italian Cup with more articles and tweets (@calcioengland) to come...
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, August 31, 2019, 18:48:19 »

Read that earlier and enjoyed it. Saw you were writing about the 1990s version and we played Atalanta at home in 1994 and they are in the Champions League this year.

Sent from my HTC U11
Sir Cliff Pipehard

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, August 31, 2019, 20:23:49 »

Saw this on twitter earlier,great piece!

I was too young to enjoy the Town's European escapades but i'm sure i once read somewhere that we were the most successful British team to have played in Europe in terms of games played/won ratio?
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, September 1, 2019, 07:04:52 »

Watched all the home games in this and we really were on fire tearing top Italian teams full of Internationals apart. They had never seen anything like the Don.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, September 1, 2019, 10:23:10 »

Watched all the home games in this and we really were on fire tearing top Italian teams full of Internationals apart. They had never seen anything like the Don.

It was during one of these games that Don found his way into the referee's notebook, he took great exception to having his shirt pulled, just never happened in English football, he was used to hatchet men trying to kick lumps out of him, but shirt pulling just wasn't cricket.
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, September 1, 2019, 13:35:10 »

I could talk about the Don all afternoon in fact I bore my son senseless. Can't remember who it was but was present when a goalie had the temerity to save one of his penalties! Not sure if he missed any more but if the town had a penalty you knew it was a cert.
CalcioEngland

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, September 13, 2019, 15:51:33 »

For those who enjoyed the previous article, the final instalment of the Anglo-Italian Cup story is now available, focusing on the perplexing 1990s incarnation. The article features, amongst other things, Swindon’s exotic vaporetto trip to Venice. Enjoy!

https://calcioengland.wordpress.com/2019/09/13/the-tempestuous-curtain-call-of-a-tournament-destined-to-fail-the-anglo-italian-cup-1992-96/
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, September 13, 2019, 19:16:11 »

For those who enjoyed the previous article, the final instalment of the Anglo-Italian Cup story is now available, focusing on the perplexing 1990s incarnation. The article features, amongst other things, Swindon’s exotic vaporetto trip to Venice. Enjoy!

https://calcioengland.wordpress.com/2019/09/13/the-tempestuous-curtain-call-of-a-tournament-destined-to-fail-the-anglo-italian-cup-1992-96/
Brilliant article 👍

Sent from my Mi A1
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, September 13, 2019, 19:56:39 »

What a cunt

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
CalcioEngland

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, September 20, 2019, 15:12:35 »

Thanks for the feedback on the article - much appreciated. Most of you seemed to enjoy it...though I’m not sure how Sippo felt about it!

The final article in the Anglo-Italian Cup series is now available, looking at the famous names, such as Batistuta, Vieri and Pirlo who graced the tournament in the 1990s:

https://calcioengland.wordpress.com/2019/09/20/the-glorious-alumni-of-the-anglo-italian-cup-1992-96/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: