Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Supermarket produce  (Read 12092 times)
Barry Scott

« on: Thursday, June 20, 2019, 17:40:19 »

I know this topic will potentially descend into political territory, but I've had a bee on my bonnet for a while about the shite that supermarkets seem to now be putting out.

I forget all of my issues (until I next encounter them), but it boils down to quality. It seems that of late some products are poor almost everywhere.

Garlic for instance. It's all stale and starting to go green within. It doesn't always ruin my cooking, because I can see and smell it first, but I hate getting it home to cook and then not being able to. After going in all the supermarkets, they're all the same and universally sell shit garlic. The missus pinched some from work that was ok, but still, that can't sustain us. We've resorted to using dried garlic for the most part, which irks me somewhat.

Prawns seem to again be crap. I love my fish and I can't even remember the last time I purchased supermarket prawns and found them anything other than totally flavourless.

Spicy things. I'm sure this has always been the case, but why is almost nothing spicy even though it says it is? Please don't sell me "Extreme Jalapeno Hummus" that a 6 year old eats without complaint.

Bread. Years ago you could buy a fresh baked baguette and the crust would crumble and fall apart and it'd be a great light airy texture. Now you buy fresh bread and it looks nice and crusty, but it has a slightly rubberised texture to the curst, is dense and wouldn't make a mess anywhere. They've also done away with sesame and poppy seeded bread seemingly in its entirely. (Allergy issues perhaps?)

I know there are other things, but I don't recall them now. Does anyone else notice any of these things or others?
china red

« Reply #1 on: Thursday, June 20, 2019, 17:56:08 »

Have noticed that garlic is a lot smaller than it used to be.  Try lidl bread, it's lovely and crusty (at least in my local one). I was a real snob about going to Lidl and was surprised how good it is now, amazing tomatoes too
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, June 20, 2019, 18:05:03 »

Have noticed that garlic is a lot smaller than it used to be.  Try lidl bread, it's lovely and crusty (at least in my local one). I was a real snob about going to Lidl and was surprised how good it is now, amazing tomatoes too
Generally fresh produce in supermarkets is is really poor these days with carrots going off within a few days and tomatoes and mushrooms tasteless. Asda freshly baked rolls are pale and more chewy than crusty and always seem to be squashed

So, give no fucks
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, June 20, 2019, 18:29:56 »

Generally fresh produce in supermarkets is is really poor these days with carrots going off within a few days and tomatoes and mushrooms tasteless. Asda freshly baked rolls are pale and more chewy than crusty and always seem to be squashed

ASDA is piss poor in the respect that pretty much everything is wrapped in plastic and loose fruit, mainly apples and pears are a rarity. The quality is not terribly good either.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, June 20, 2019, 19:16:25 »

Spot on and can see why many are choosing Aldi and Lidl

So, give no fucks
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, June 20, 2019, 19:16:48 »

It's the downside of having cheap plentiful food... as someone alive when post war rationing was still in place, I know what it's like when things like chicken were luxury food, and exotic fruits like bananas and oranges were Christmas treats. However when you got these things they certainly tasted.

Mushrooms would be a classic example.... when you got them straight out of the field, turned your eggs black in the frying pan... todays tunnel grown things have next to no taste.

You can still find foods which taste, for example allotment produce, but they tend to be expensive and more time consuming to find.

As a meat eating kid, always a lot of offal... tongues, kidneys, liver, chitterlings, tripe, pigs trotters, black puddings and combinations like proper faggots all tasty stuff. Now a bit niche....
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, June 20, 2019, 19:18:53 »

I guess farm shops or markets is the answer but not too many local

So, give no fucks
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, June 20, 2019, 19:40:08 »

It's the downside of having cheap plentiful food... as someone alive when post war rationing was still in place, I know what it's like when things like chicken were luxury food, and exotic fruits like bananas and oranges were Christmas treats. However when you got these things they certainly tasted.

Mushrooms would be a classic example.... when you got them straight out of the field, turned your eggs black in the frying pan... todays tunnel grown things have next to no taste.

You can still find foods which taste, for example allotment produce, but they tend to be expensive and more time consuming to find.

As a meat eating kid, always a lot of offal... tongues, kidneys, liver, chitterlings, tripe, pigs trotters, black puddings and combinations like proper faggots all tasty stuff. Now a bit niche....

Road kill. It’s they way forward.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, June 20, 2019, 19:53:19 »

I nearly bought some dates for lunch today, as I cant remember what they taste like. I looked at the wrapper and it said they'd been carefully selected, frozen and stored to retain their freshness. Straight back on the shelf.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, June 20, 2019, 20:02:02 »

Another vote for Lidl bread. Excellent quality and value!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Chunkyhair

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, June 20, 2019, 20:09:26 »

Asda is truly a pile of shite.  If - and I mean if - they have any stock on the shelves, it is shit. Not a lot to do with food quality, more to do with the Hell on earth, soul destroying, misery inducing, life force sapping experience that is trying to buy a pint of milk as Asda

And there is a woman who works there who looks like Kirsten Somebody who used to be in the broom cupboard or whatever on kids BBC Sad

No one kills a thread like me....
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, June 20, 2019, 20:09:34 »

If you want decent produce, shop in whole foods. Superb shop, but super expensive.

I’m an aldi man, but their fruit and veg have a very short shelf life.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, June 20, 2019, 20:25:22 »

Another vote for Lidl bread. Excellent quality and value!

Their village bakery stuff is good.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, June 20, 2019, 21:26:48 »

Kirsten O'Brien according to Google chunkyhair. Must have been after my time
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, June 21, 2019, 05:19:21 »

Have I accidentally stumbled onto mumsnet?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: