Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: More crap  (Read 28978 times)
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 20:38:38 »

Wellens better be at home tonight studying his 1930’s STFC football history, crucial knowledge can be gained despite that era of the game being barely recognisable to today’s game

Fine margins and all that
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 21:02:56 »

Ha ha....so only the RB needs to be experienced. Doesn't matter about the LB then?

THe talk has been about Knoyle a RB... we haven't got a LB atm, so no point in talking about that yet.

Who knows how Coleman or Ridehalgh woukd have played out, it's not uncommon for young outfield players to have a good little spell, especially when they first start, but then fade.

However you want to dress it up, the facts show that both Macari and PdC went from inexperienced to experienced in their LB picks.

If they'e good enough chances are they'll come again with time, hence why I say for most young players, in a sucessful season it needs to be cameos

It will be interesting to see if Wellens goes the same route at LB and gets in another Koiki type, or goes for experience.

Personally I'd like to see a bit of 2 season experience at least.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 21:25:23 »

Our highest league finish in 20 years was achieved with a 20 year old and a 23 year old at wingback

Things get better but they never get good
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 22:41:46 »

However you want to dress it up, the facts show.........
You're always banging on about facts so let's look at some of the "facts" you've stated in this thread:

1. Macari won the Div 4 championship with a 20 year old in goal. Wrong. He won it with a 37 year old.
2. 4 of our promotion seasons have been won with inexperienced goal keepers. Wrong. Only 2 have.
3. Macari preferred an experienced LB (Roberts) in the Div 4 championship season. Wrong. His 1st, and thus preferred choice, was Coleman, an inexperienced FB. Roberts was signed only because Millwall wouldn't extend Coleman's loan.
4. PDC preferred an experienced LB (McEveley) in his Div 4 championship season. Wrong. Ridehalgh was 1st choice. Again, McEveley only signed because Ridehalgh's loan wasn't extended.

I'm not dressing anything up. I'm simply stating facts. You are the one dressing things up, suggesting that Coleman and Ridehalgh weren't up to the job and that they may have faded after a few games thus forcing Macari and PDC to revert to more experienced players. You know as well as I do that if their loans had been extended both would have been the preferred choice at LB and neither Roberts or McEveley would have been signed.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 22:56:19 »

It's quite simple... both Macari and PdC favoured an experienced RB, experienced meaning at least 2 or 3 seasons under the belt not trying to "hide" a novice in a position we're the game is played in front of you.  They both won the Div 4 title with a 20 year old keeper who had never previously played a league game.  I fail to see how you can argue against these facts.
I can, because they aren't facts. See above re the 20 year old keeper. We know that neither had a preference for an experienced LB so logic would tell us that the same would be true for the RB position......and it could be argued, in any case, that the RB position wasnt filled by an experienced player. Caddis had only played 1 season prior to PDC coming and Chris Ramsey had only played 30 games before joining Swindon.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 08:17:20 »

Although I concur with the title of this thread, the timing of the cut means that my post is first in the list intimating that I am talking more crap..

For that I say fuck you FH Cheesy

Apart from that, carry on..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 08:50:29 »

You're always banging on about facts so let's look at some of the "facts" you've stated in this thread:

1. Macari won the Div 4 championship with a 20 year old in goal. Wrong. He won it with a 37 year old.
2. 4 of our promotion seasons have been won with inexperienced goal keepers. Wrong. Only 2 have.
3. Macari preferred an experienced LB (Roberts) in the Div 4 championship season. Wrong. His 1st, and thus preferred choice, was Coleman, an inexperienced FB. Roberts was signed only because Millwall wouldn't extend Coleman's loan.
4. PDC preferred an experienced LB (McEveley) in his Div 4 championship season. Wrong. Ridehalgh was 1st choice. Again, McEveley only signed because Ridehalgh's loan wasn't extended.

I'm not dressing anything up. I'm simply stating facts. You are the one dressing things up, suggesting that Coleman and Ridehalgh weren't up to the job and that they may have faded after a few games thus forcing Macari and PDC to revert to more experienced players. You know as well as I do that if their loans had been extended both would have been the preferred choice at LB and neither Roberts or McEveley would have been signed.

1. Promotion was won with Digby in goal, 86/87
2. 62/63 Turner 7 games, Digby as above, 06/07 Phil Smith post Brez injury 5 games, 11/12 Fods no games.
3. Macari may have wanted to sign Coleman... he didn't. He did sign Robets an experienced player... we won the league, perhaps we'd have done with Coleman, we'll never know.  Thereforer speculation.
4. PdC didn't really know what he wanted at LB, but after trying Callum Kennedy, Cibocci, who apparently was experienced in lower league Italian football and Ridehalgh, he ended up with J Mac.

To me Coleman looked a very good player, Ridehalgh, OK, no more than that. He never really got a gig until Tranny and promptly played 2 seasons dropping from Div 3 to the Conference, but has hung around for their revival, so fair play for that.

Your point about Caddis and Ramsey is bizarre, I've emphasised with young players, you want them to have a couple of seasons where they come in and out the side to get a taste, perhaps play 25-30 games as both Caddis and Ramsey did at a decent level.  Sometimes your young player is just so good, that's it they're in, but there's relatively few of those and they tend to be highly desirable in the market.  More often, they might just not be quite good enough for that level so drop down, as both Ramsey and Caddis did, then had a full season, to gain that bit more, before contributing to an auto. Caddis was captain.

Let's return this to the OP from Berni... who makes the very salient point about Wellens and his prioritising of the budget, or "squeezing" as Berni termed it.  I pointed out there's an element of risk to this, and still maintain that to be the case.. risk, needs to be viewed in terms of what I take to be the aim for the season of automatic promotion. If you and others think, there is no risk, then fine.

PS you do think that auto is the aim for this season?
« Last Edit: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 09:29:36 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 09:31:27 »

Having looked back through every promoted team in football league history. I have come to the following conclusion.

1. You are more likely to win games if you score more than the opposition
2. You are more likely to win games if you concede less than the opposition
3. You are more likely to achieve points 1. & 2. if you have more talented & better players than the opposition

Therefore, the secret to promotion is;

Get better players in than your opposition. Age, experience, height, weight, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, hair colour & the car the drive are all irrelevant
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 09:35:50 »

Having looked back through every promoted team in football league history. I have come to the following conclusion.

1. You are more likely to win games if you score more than the opposition
2. You are more likely to win games if you concede less than the opposition
3. You are more likely to achieve points 1. & 2. if you have more talented & better players than the opposition

Therefore, the secret to promotion is;

Get better players in than your opposition. Age, experience, height, weight, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, hair colour & the car the drive are all irrelevant

Tactics, inspirational manager, luck, injuries and suspensions?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 10:30:30 »

No manager is going to have a recruitment policy or select a side based on this kind of 'evidence'. And just because something has not happened before it doesn't mean it can't happen in the future.

I freely admit I'm not the brightest but LM starts because he's the better 'keeper. If he's injured or has a couple of dodgy perfomances, Henry takes his place. Surely?

Managers know the sort of thing they want, but recruitment is about the sort of thing you can get. I'm sure Wellens knows that ideally he'd want to go out and sign proven Div 4 quality.... let's look at the PFA Div 4 side of the year for guidance, the 2 full backs Eardley at Lincoln... 300 league games at 30, and Harry Toffolo, as mentioned before would have been a good indicator to have signed him last season. 

However, he's not in a position to do that so a different approach is required.... and that's the problem.

As I've said at this stage it's about indicators... we all want to see intent. Last season ws a classic example... Doughty Diagouaga in theory looked tasty, and people expected the sale of Mullin and Norris to mean alongside the Flint windfall we'd see a proper Div 4 striker.... didn't happen. Therefore the intent after the recruitment looked mid table and so it proved.

I'm looking for the intent being auto....
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 13:44:56 »

Now we’ve signed Adam May I was racking my brain to think of any other Adam to have played for Town.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 13:46:33 »

Now we’ve signed Adam May I was racking my brain to think of any other Adam to have played for Town.

Willis.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 13:47:05 »

Rooney.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 13:48:18 »

El-Abd.

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 13:59:12 »

Willis.

Whatchu talkin' bout?  Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: