Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: More crap  (Read 28981 times)
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 14:26:46 »

So, if I've got this right, according to Reg, it's ok to play a young goalkeeper (almost certainly the most vulnerable position in the team) with little or no experience but the RB has to be someone with bags of experience..... Hmmm I'm glad he's not our manager.

When I used to train kids, many years ago now, I was told by the more experienced coaches that the best place to play the least experienced players was RB or LB. Simply because it was the position where the players almost always had the play in front of them so they could see what was going on and if they fucked up it was the least vulnerable position to fuck up in (defensively speaking).
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 14:28:05 »

Sorry chaps. I'll never learn not to argue with Reg.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 14:30:27 »

Sorry chaps. I'll never learn not to argue with Reg.
Seems to me he's doing a good job of arguing against himself in this thread.....on the one hand he thinks one position should be filled with an experienced player but on the other hand one of the other positions should be filled by a player with no experience.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 14:31:51 »

Derby seemed to do alright this season playing a right back with little or no previous experience  Hmmm

Didn’t we bring a young striker in some 10 years or so ago with no league football experience, I’ve forgot his name...Charlie something?

Derby didn't go up, neither did we in CA's almost season.  I'm looking at seasons where we went up.  

Ideally for an auto season, you want to have a core of experience and then some kids or inexperienced players  who come in and do a job for a fairly small number of games.  Such examples would be the 17 year old Don Rogers in 62/63, Brian Wade in 85/86, Fitzroy Simpson in 89/90, Lukas Jutkiewicz in 06/07, Billy Bodin in 11/12
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 14:40:00 »

Seems to me he's doing a good job of arguing against himself in this thread.....on the one hand he thinks one position should be filled with an experienced player but on the other hand one of the other positions should be filled by a player with no experience.

He's excelling himself today that's for sure. I can't be the only one he's lost on this one.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 14:49:22 »

Derby didn't go up, neither did we in CA's almost season.  I'm looking at seasons where we went up.  

Ideally for an auto season, you want to have a core of experience and then some kids or inexperienced players  who come in and do a job for a fairly small number of games.  Such examples would be the 17 year old Don Rogers in 62/63, Brian Wade in 85/86, Fitzroy Simpson in 89/90, Lukas Jutkiewicz in 06/07, Billy Bodin in 11/12
There was me thinking your ambition for the season was to retain FL status....
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 14:57:56 »

Indeed, have we looked at who was in goal for relegation seasons?  We need the full data set.

Reg, isn't Wellens doing what you asked fro a year ago - investing in the spine, loaning in the "lesser spots",  Pretty sure you had right and left back down for those we could take a loan player in.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 15:00:25 »

Clap

fantastic trolling today  Clap

you have gone back to 1963 to prove that sometimes experience helps and sometimes doesn't. since 1963 let's say roughly 56 years x 3 divisions with promotions x 3 promoted teams = 504 promoted teams but let's focus on Swindons 9 and use that all as a reference to suggest we won't get promoted with a young rb but have a chance with a young keeper  
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 15:08:21 »

There was me thinking your ambition for the season was to retain FL status....

At this time of year it's about looking for indicators, nothing more. In that sense we're better off than 2 years ago, insofar as we've a manager who's been in place a while and hopefully has been able to develop some sort of plan, for an improvement on 13th place.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 15:18:05 »

Clap
fantastic trolling today  Clap

you have gone back to 1963 to prove that sometimes experience helps and sometimes doesn't. since 1963 let's say roughly 56 years x 3 divisions with promotions x 3 promoted teams = 504 promoted teams but let's focus on Swindons 9 and use that all as a reference to suggest we won't get promoted with a young rb but have a chance with a young keeper  

As I've pointed out on many an occasion, the stats show up trends, no more than that, therefore don't offer proof.  They offer no more than indications, feel free to ignore them, but I do think it important that they should be brought to light, as there are some who might want to consider them and debate in a serious fashion.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 15:27:24 »

So our chances of getting auto now hinge on us signing a vastly experienced RB (Caddis and Commingues are available) and no longer on 4 x 5 goalscorers?

As they say, 'you can't win nothin' with kids.' or can you, or can't you?

Way too many crossovers today Reginald. You can say an inexperienced keeper will work and an inexperienced RB won't but I highly doubt you'll get much understanding to come from that. Shock.

Jawdrop

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Flashheart

« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 15:28:58 »

It's almost as though he does just it to get a reaction...
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 15:31:03 »

It's almost as though he does just it to get a reaction...

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 15:48:12 »

Indeed, have we looked at who was in goal for relegation seasons?  We need the full data set.

Reg, isn't Wellens doing what you asked fro a year ago - investing in the spine, loaning in the "lesser spots",  Pretty sure you had right and left back down for those we could take a loan player in.

Our first relegation season of 64/65, was notable for a problem with the keepers, Norman Oakley broke his arm in the opener at Gigg Lane, and Tony Hicks came in, Swindon boy from the youths, did OK but not great.  Oakley came back, but had lost confidence... so Bert  got in 9 past Haffey, who saved a pen on debut in a storming win, but then struggled, it was assumed he was on the piss, then it was back to rotating Oakley and Hicks.  Both Oakley and Haffey were experienced keepers.

Our next 2 had Jimmy Alan in goal, an experienced custodian, the drop out of Prem was another characterised by several keepers getting injured no consistency, but the next season drop was mostly with Fraser in goal, and experienced keeper.

The last drop from Div 2 another characterised by churn... Talia, Glass, Mildy, Bart G.

05/06 had Rhys Evans and Tom Heaton  10/11 Phil Smith and David Lucas.

Then Vigs for the last one.

I'm not sure what it shows.....

I've said it's a reasonable strategy, but the FB's don't have to be kids, although in these days it seems that way. 

Take Koiki as an example, you can see some ability, but he wouldn't be one you'd put money on delivering an auto consisent season, but he might give you a dozen games at some point.  When Lou Macari needed a FB in 85/86 he got in Paul Roberts an experienced player on a short contract... Robbo basically kicked people... his win rate is probably the highest of any Town man with more than  20 games, he was never going to be good enough for Div 3.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 16:26:10 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 15:52:49 »

I'm not sure what it shows.....
See title of thread....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: